Windows 10: Genuine update or scam?

Discus and support Genuine update or scam? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; About July 20th a notice suddenly appeared at the bottom right corner of my screen saying that support for Windows 10 April 2018 update ends in... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Ragogumi, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Ragogumi Win User

Genuine update or scam?

About July 20th a notice suddenly appeared at the bottom right corner of my screen saying that support for Windows 10 April 2018 update ends in November. It had 3 choices - update now, schedule a time, and another update option I can't recall. There was no way to close the message or choose not to update. If I went to another tab, it was still in the same place on the new screen. It did not look like something Microsoft would be sending, so I never clicked on any part of it.

When I went to shut down the computer, the customary block that says 'Sleep, 'Shut Down', 'Restart" etc. was different, offering a choice of Shut Down plus Update and Shut Down. When I looked in Security under Settings, it did show Update Pending.

The block at the bottom right of the screen appeared again a few days later, but this time it went away when I moved to a different tab.

Tonight when I looked at Settings - Security, it shows this computer as being Up To Date.

Was the notice about the April 2018 update losing support legitimate or a scam?

:)

Ragogumi, Jul 27, 2019

2. A scam or genuine?

an e mail says my windows repair tool is about to expire and wants me to renew. Is this a genuine Windows message or a scam?

MaryCleland1, Jul 27, 2019
  3. Smeed Win User
Thema:

Genuine update or scam?

1. Genuine update or scam? - Similar Threads - Genuine update scam

2. Are calls from "Microsoft" genuine or a scam?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Are calls from "Microsoft" genuine or a scam?: I am receiving calls claiming to be from Microsoft saying that my PC has been compromised by hackers. I have been scammed before like that so I decline to continue with the call. They then tell me that, because I will not continue with the call, my Microsoft licence will be...
  3. If IT IS Not Genuine

in Windows 10 Gaming
    If IT IS Not Genuine: My USB controller is not genuine?. Therefore the screensaver has permission to not start. Even though my USB xbox 360 after market controller is not genuine, the screensaver could squish and kill someone if it starts. Am I wrong?...
  4. Scam and Securituy Update

Scam and Securituy Update: had a scam event where I got warning screen and bogus help number I checked Defender and I have an update prompt asking me to download Security Intelligence Update for Windows Defender Antivirus - KB2267602 Version 1.309.634.0 is this part of the scam? - it seems like...
  5. Is it genuine?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it genuine?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Harenraj56 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e3ddkm/is_it_genuine/
  6. Your device is running an older version of Windows 10—Scam or Genuine?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Your device is running an older version of Windows 10—Scam or Genuine?: I opened Edge today and got this message: "Your device is running an older version of Windows 10. To continue to receive security updates and enjoy the latest features Windows 10 has to offer, you need to update your device to a newer version of Windows 10," and I downloaded...
  7. Phis sing, Scam or Genuine?

Phis sing, Scam or Genuine?: Am receiving reminders that my Hotmail account requires attention. I follow procedure until I have a box that requires last 4 of credit card etc. I filled in with fictitious numbers and was informed to wait for MS action within 7(?) days. Surely Microsoft do not require...
  8. Phis sing, Scam or Genuine?

in Windows 10 Support
    Phis sing, Scam or Genuine?: Am receiving reminders that my Hotmail account requires attention. I follow procedure until I have a box that requires last 4 of credit card etc. I filled in with fictitious numbers and was informed to wait for MS action within 7(?) days. Surely Microsoft do not require...
  9. genuine or scam message posing from Microsoft to cleanup my computer of viruses and...

genuine or scam message posing from Microsoft to cleanup my computer of viruses and...: This screen popped up on my Desktop running Windows 10 with a message from Microsoft Edge to clean up my computer of viruses and phishing software with instructions "Not to turn off the computer otherwise data will be lost, and security compromised." I called the Help...
  10. Video Converters - SCAMS or Genuine

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Video Converters - SCAMS or Genuine: Hi there I can't believe the humungous difference in speed of these various Video converters For example Wondershare at high speed converts a 4GB 3 hr m2ts HD file (1920 X 1080) to MP4 H24 at same resolution (1920 X 1080) in about 5 mins. Others vary from 45 mins to...