Windows 10: German federal office BSI publishes Telemetry analysis

Discus and support German federal office BSI publishes Telemetry analysis in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; The German Federal Office for Information Security, BSI (Bundesamt für Sicherheit in der Informationstechnik) published a detailed Windows 10 Telemetry... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Nov 23, 2018.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

German federal office BSI publishes Telemetry analysis

The German Federal Office for Information Security, BSI (Bundesamt für Sicherheit in der Informationstechnik) published a detailed Windows 10 Telemetry analysis on November 20, 2018.

The research paper, which is available in English (partially) and German, provides a deep analysis of Telemetry functionality that Microsoft implemented in the company's Windows 10 operating system.

German federal office BSI publishes Telemetry analysis telemetry.png

The paper is based on Windows 10 version 1607 Enterprise. It covers:

• An overview of Windows 10's event tracing functionality for Telemetry.
    • A technical analysis on how Telemetry data is collected and processed.
    • An analysis of the network interfaces and connections used to transfer Telemetry data.
    • A look at configuration and logging capabilities to monitor and control Telemetry data collecting.

The report is quite technical in nature and the first couple of pages are only available in German at the time of writing. You may want to skip ahead to page 9, Executive Summary, if you don't understand German; the English part of the report begins with chapter 1.2.

Tip: An extra, German-only, paper is available that includes system-based and network-based options to limit or block the collection or transfer of Telemetry data to Microsoft.

You find interesting tidbits in the report even if you are not interested in technicalities like the number of Event Tracing for Windows (ETW) providers associated with Autologger-Diagtrack-Listener and Diagtrack Listener for each of the supported Telemetry levels:

• Security -- 9 and 4 ETW Providers
    • Basic -- 93 and 410 ETW Providers
    • Enhanced -- 105 and 418 ETW Providers
    • Full -- 112 and 422 ETW Providers

The Security telemetry level is reserved to Enterprise editions of Windows 10. Home users may choose between Basic and Full, and the difference in providers is not as large as one would think based on the analysis.

The number of ETW Providers stands in no direct correlation to the amount of data that is collected or its quality according to the researchers.

The report list hostnames and IP addresses that Windows 10's Telemetry service uses for communication based on a connection log of 48 hours.

Hostname
    IP Address
    geo.settings-win.data.microsoft.com.akadns.net​
    40.77.226.249​
    Ireland, Dublin
    db5-eap.settings-win.data.microsoft.com.akadns.net
    settings-win.data.microsoft.com
    db5.settings-win.data.microsoft.com.akadns.net
    asimov-win.settings.data.microsoft.com.akadns.net
    db5.vortex.data.microsoft.com.akadns.net​
    40.77.226.250​
    Ireland, Dublin
    v10-win.vortex.data.microsft.com.akadns.net
    geo.vortex.data.microsoft.com.akadns.net
    v10.vortex-win.data.microsft.com
    us.vortex-win.data.microsft.com​
    13.92.194.212​
    United States, Boston
    eu.vortex-win.data.microsft.com​
    52.178.38.151​
    Netherlands, Amsterdam
    vortex-win-sandbox.data.microsoft.com​
    52.229.39.152​
    United States, LA
    alpha.telemetry.microsft.com​
    52.183.114.173​
    United States, LA
    oca.telemetry.microsft.com​
    13.78.232.226​
    United States, Cheyenne​

Last but not least, there is an appendix that list external executable files. Not all of them are used for Telemetry purposes though.

Here is the entire listing:

Executable
    Description
    %SystemRoot%\System32\telsvc.exe​
    No description available
    %SystemRoot%\SysWow64\dtdump.exe​
    No description available
    %SystemRoot%\SysWow64\RdrLeakDiag.exe​
    No description available
    %SystemRoot %system32\RdrLeakDiag.exe​
    No description available
    %SystemRoot%\system32\appidtel.exe​
    No description available
    %SystemRoot%\system32\disksnapshot.exe​
    No description available
    %SystemRoot%\system32\bcdedit.exe​
    A tool for managing the Boot Configuration Database (BCD);
    %SystemRoot%\system32\dxdiag.exe​
    A tool for collecting information on devices;
    %SystemRoot%\system32\dispdiag.exe​
    A tool for collecting and logging information on displays;
    %ProgramFiles%\internet explorer\iediagcmd.exe​
    No description available
    %SystemRoot%\system32\icacls.exe​
    A tool for displaying and modifying access control lists;
    %SystemRoot%\system32\licensingdiag.exe​
    No description available
    %SystemRoot%\system32\ipconfig.exe​
    A tool for displaying network information and configuring network settings
    %SystemRoot%\system32\msinfo32.exe​
    A tool for displaying information about the hardware and software enviroment deployed on a platform;
    %SystemRoot%\system32\logman.exe​
    A tool for configuring, and displaying information about, the ETW environment;
    %SystemRoot%\system32\netsh.exe​
    A tool for displaying network information and configuring network settings;
    %SystemRoot%\system32\netcfg.exe​
    A tool for installing the Windows preinstallation environment, a lightweight version of Windows;
    %SystemRoot%\system32\route.exe​
    A tool for displaying and modifying the platform’s IP routing table;
    %SystemRoot%\system32\powercfg.exe​
    A tool for configuring power settings (e.g., configuring the platform’s standby mode)
    %SystemRoot%\system32\stordiag.exe​
    No description available
    %SystemRoot%\system32\settingsynchost.exe​
    No description available
    %SystemRoot%\system32\verifier.exe​
    A tool for detecting and troubleshooting driver issues;
    %SystemRoot%\system32\tracelog.exe​
    A tool for managing ETW environment (e.g., activation and deactivation of ETW sessions);
    %SystemRoot%\system32\whoami.exe​
    A tool for displaying information on the user currently logged on to the system; https
    %SystemRoot%\system32\wevtutil.exe​
    A tool for managing the EventLog environment;
    %SystemRoot%\system32\wscollect.exe​
    No description available​

Administrators and researchers may also be interested in a tools and script package that was released as part of the analysis.

Closing Words

The reports provide detailed Telemetry information that is useful to interested Windows users but especially to administrators who want to know more about how Telemetry works on Windows 10 devices.

Related articles:

Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon. Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post German federal office BSI publishes Telemetry analysis appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Nov 23, 2018
  2. torre Win User

Win10 Telemetry

Good article from ZDNet.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microso...on-off-switch/

torre, Nov 23, 2018
  3. How do I unblock a publisher in windows 10?

I have gone through the steps as suggested above BUT interestingly don't see an publisher listed under the "Untrusted Publishers" but still get the same error box as shared above.

Screenshot

I wonder why?

Tanveer Malik, Nov 23, 2018
  4. Riel Alc Win User

Blocked Publisher doesn't show up in Untrusted Publishers - how can I unblock the publisher?

Hi,

The software publisher won't appear in the Untrusted Publisher tab. Since, the steps you've provided didn't work, you unblock the publisher using Command Prompt. Please follow the steps below:

• Press Windows X, then select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Press Shift + right-click on the program you want to unblock.
    • Click Copy as path, then paste in Command Prompt.
    • Hit Enter.

Let us know the result.

Riel Alc, Nov 23, 2018
Thema:

1. German federal office BSI publishes Telemetry analysis - Similar Threads - German federal office

2. Limit Office 365 Telemetry with this undocumented setting

in Windows 10 News
    Limit Office 365 Telemetry with this undocumented setting: Office 365, just like Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Office and other Microsoft products collect and submit telemetry data to Microsoft servers by default. Only a few options to limit data collection are provided to most users of Windows and other Microsoft products; Enterprise...
  3. Can't Delete Trusted Publishers in Office 2019

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Can't Delete Trusted Publishers in Office 2019: I just uninstalled Office 2010 before upgrading to Office 2019. The new installation has picked up some Trusted Publishers I no longer need but I can't delete them since the delete option is greyed out in Office. How do I remove these offending entries which are not shown...
  4. Office 365 Customer Experience and Telemetry Dashboard

Office 365 Customer Experience and Telemetry Dashboard: Office 365 has Customer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP) and Telemetry Dashboard Log. Are these features enabled by default? If so, do I need them enabled or can I turn them off? I am pretty sure they can be disabled in the group policy editor and/or registry editor....
  5. Microsoft Office 365 privacy and telemetry

Microsoft Office 365 privacy and telemetry: @Brink Is there a comprehensive thread on tenforums (or reddit or elsewhere) that details various registry tweaks and windows settings to enable/disable telemetry and privacy for Office 365? Tutorials on tenforums give plenty of information about Windows privacy and...
  6. German

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    German: Funktionsupdate für Windows 10, Version 1909 – Fehler 0x800f0831 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/german/89a7ed42-db32-43d0-9c9e-5a235751aa78
  7. Analysis Toolpack in Office 365

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Analysis Toolpack in Office 365: How do I access Analysis Tool Pack https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/analysis-toolpack-in-office-365/8e9d6e02-99d1-4d15-940e-558cce62bdf3"
  8. Office Pro telemetry changes are coming?

in Windows 10 News
    Office Pro telemetry changes are coming?: Microsoft to update Office Pro Plus after Dutch ministry questions privacy The Netherlands’ justice ministry was concerned popular programs were sending diagnostic data from Europe to the US without adequate user controls. Microsoft plans to update its Office Pro Plus...
  9. Looking for feedback from Office Telemetry Dashboard users

Looking for feedback from Office Telemetry Dashboard users: Hi there, My name is and I am a Program Manager working on Office tools. I am trying to get insights into how users use Office Telemetry Dashboard (Telemetry Dashboard for Office), in what situations, and what parts of it are they using. This information will help me and my...
  10. Windows 10 and telemetry: Time for a simple network analysis

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 and telemetry: Time for a simple network analysis: Looking at the right data is the only way to understand what Windows 10 is really doing. There's been a lot of discussion recently about the telemetry data that Windows sends back to Microsoft. There's also been a lot of bad data out there, data that can make it easy to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. BSI telemetry