Windows 10: get back to classic view on start menu

Discus and support get back to classic view on start menu in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; hi, I have a friend, when he clicks on start, he gets a row of large app icons, how does he get back to classic view on windows 10? thanks in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by alistairmck, Aug 10, 2019.

1. get back to classic view on start menu

hi, I have a friend, when he clicks on start, he gets a row of large app icons, how does he get back to classic view on windows 10?

thanks in advance

:)

alistairmck, Aug 10, 2019
  2. jack s. Win User

Windows 10 Classic View not found

For Windows 10, Microsoft lists the following way to use the Classic View (as in Windows 7):

To change the Start menu to Classic view

The classic view of Start menu is based on previous version of Windows.

• Open Taskbar and Start Menu Properties by clicking the Start button

get back to classic view on start menu [​IMG]
      , clicking
      Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking
      Taskbar and Start Menu.

• Click the Start Menu tab, click Classic Start menu, and then click
      OK.

That sounds OK, except that in the latest version of Windows 10 "Appearance and Personalization" is not found in the Control Panel--only "Personalization," without an option for Classic Start menu, is given. So what has Microsoft failed to say or update?

I realize that third party apps (to give a Windows 7 experience) are available, but I would like to know what Microsoft itself offers in terms of the Classic View.

Similarly, in Windows 10 is there a way to add folders to the C-drive in the classic way, as opposed to creating a folder in Desktop under This PC and then adding folders there? (I do not want to go to Desktop, then a Desktop folder, every time that I want
    to view or create a folder--those are tiresome extra steps compared to the Classic way of creating a folder on the C-drive.)

jack s., Aug 10, 2019
  3. newtekie1 Win User
    [Tip]Classic Shell - Get back classic features of the Windows UI(Classic Start Menu)

You can get Classic Shell Here. It is open source and free.*Rockout :rockout:

When installing, do note that you can install the Classic Explorer and Classic Start Menu features seperately, so if you don't have use for one or the other don't install it if you want to save a little hard drive space. Though the total install only takes about 4MB with both features installed.

get back to classic view on start menu ClassicShell_1.png

Now there are so many tweaks that Classic Shell offers there is no way I will be able to go over each one. But I do suggest if you are missing a UI feature from an older version of Windows that was removed from Win7, try Classic Shell, because I haven't seen a feature yet that wasn't in there. But I'm just going to go over a few features that I use and like for now.

First of all, the Classic Start Menu. It is pretty self explainitory. Right when you finish installing Classic Shell, the Classic Start menu will be active by default. Now you can set different keys to open either the Classic Start Menu or the Standard Start Menu. Personally, I usually have it set to that clicking on the start button opens the Classic Start Menu, while pushing the Windows key on my keyboard opens the Standard Start Menu.

get back to classic view on start menu ClassicShell_2.jpg

Also, with the Classic Start menu Shutting down goes back to the classic Windows XP style.

get back to classic view on start menu ClassicShell_3.jpg

You can access all of your settings for both Classic Explorer and Classic Start Menu by going to the program folder in the start menu.

get back to classic view on start menu ClassicShell_4.jpg

Some of the features I use for Classic Explorer are the Up Arrow(which is enabled by default) along with disabling breadcrumbs. If you aren't sure what breadcrumbs are, look at the screenshot, breadcrumbs are the new way the address bar works in Win7, I think it was a way to eliminate the up arrow. Anyway, now that I have an up arrow again they are pretty worthless. So I disable them so that the actual path is dislayed in the address bar.

get back to classic view on start menu ClassicShell_5.jpg

One last thing I like to do is disable the Alternate File/Folder conflict dialog boxes. I actually prefer the new style that came with Win7. By default these options are enabled, which brings up the classic style dialog box whenever you are trying to copy over a file/folder that already exists.

get back to classic view on start menu ClassicShell_6.jpg

There are hundreds of little UI tweaks available in Classic Shell. So I would suggest you try it. If you don't like it, uninstalling it removes all the tweaks and returns everything to normal. And you can pretty much turn off every tweak you don't want, I know some people that use it just for the Up arrow in Explorer.

*Toast :toast:

newtekie1, Aug 10, 2019
  4. Techtu Win User

get back to classic view on start menu

Giveaway of the Day - Classic Start Menu Pro 3.8

Source

Techtu, Aug 10, 2019
Thema:

get back to classic view on start menu

1. get back to classic view on start menu - Similar Threads - classic view start

2. Topic: Classic Start Menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Topic: Classic Start Menu: Hello all you saints!When starting my computer, I get a popup that says, "Classic Start Menu needs to configure itself for the new operating system" I close this. Then another popup says, "Do you want to allow this app from an unknown publisher to make change.......Classic...
  3. Topic: Classic Start Menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Topic: Classic Start Menu: Hello all you saints!When starting my computer, I get a popup that says, "Classic Start Menu needs to configure itself for the new operating system" I close this. Then another popup says, "Do you want to allow this app from an unknown publisher to make change.......Classic...
  4. Get The Old Start Menu Back?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Get The Old Start Menu Back?: I did a win 10 update of some sort a month ago and since then I've had this start menu. I don't like it, so how do I get the older one back now?in Programs I see Classic Shell, is that it? This is a desktop if that matters....
  5. Get The Old Start Menu Back?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Get The Old Start Menu Back?: I did a win 10 update of some sort a month ago and since then I've had this start menu. I don't like it, so how do I get the older one back now?in Programs I see Classic Shell, is that it?...
  6. Get Older Start Menu Back?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Get Older Start Menu Back?: So someone said to update my Win 10 with this link https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=799445I did and now have this crazy Start menu that seems to show just the programs I have.can I get the other older version back?...
  7. Get Older Start Menu Back?

Get Older Start Menu Back?: So someone said to update my Win 10 with this link https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=799445I did and now have this crazy Start menu that seems to show just the programs I have.can I get the other older version back?...
  8. How to switch back to the Classic Start Menu in Windows 11

in Windows 10 News
    How to switch back to the Classic Start Menu in Windows 11: [ATTACH]Windows 11 has a whole lot of new features, but just as with the transition from Windows 7 to Windows 8, a lot of users are uncomfortable with the changed Start button and the associated menu. If you are one of those users and wish to revert to the classic Windows 10...
  9. Help me with getting classic desktop back and start menu.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help me with getting classic desktop back and start menu.: So my laptop has Windows 10, and if I minimize something it goes to my normal desktop, and my start menu works (click the start button, a vertical menu pops up). I just bought another laptop and it is annoying as hell. Any window I am in (browser, app, anything) doesn't have...
  10. Classic View

Classic View: How do i get Classic View on Windows 10? Please can you help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/classic-view/801f1fa9-0997-46ac-8277-9d068c9f26bd

Users found this page by searching for:

1. classic startup windows 10

2. Click On Classic View In the Menu