Windows 10: Get back to Windows 10 after motherboard replaced and hard drive failed

Discus and support Get back to Windows 10 after motherboard replaced and hard drive failed in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Dell XPS One 2720 All-in-one My history: Machine supplied with Windows 8.1 Motherboard replaced during first year and machine shipped back to me... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Janarobbie, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Get back to Windows 10 after motherboard replaced and hard drive failed

Dell XPS One 2720 All-in-one

My history:

Machine supplied with Windows 8.1

Motherboard replaced during first year and machine shipped back to me

Free upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10

Hard drive failed last month and replaced

Windows 8.1 reinstalled by Dell last week cannot now be activated as the activation server has determined that the product key has been blocked.

Dell says I have to buy a new mother board if I want to get Windows 10!

Is there a cheaper solution?

:)

Janarobbie, Jan 18, 2021
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Replacing the Motherboard/CPU and the Hard Drive

If you are replacing your motherboard you will probably need to purchase a new Windows 10 licence as your digital entitlement (which is stored on a Microsoft server, not on a chip) is tied to your motherboard.

It is OK to replace a hard drive or other devices, but the motherboard requires a new licence as it is essentially a new PC!

DaveM121, Jan 18, 2021
  3. Windows 10-Replacing failed hard drive

Hi,

I have a Dell XPS15 that was running Windows 10 but the hard drive has failed completely and needs replacing. How do I go about installing and activating Windows 10 on a replacement hard drive?

Thanks

BarrieMorris, Jan 18, 2021
  4. GaryHoff1 Win User

Get back to Windows 10 after motherboard replaced and hard drive failed

replacing motherboard

My motherboard is flaky, I want to replace it before it fails completely. The hard drive is fully functional. How do I do that without having to reinstall windows.

GaryHoff1, Jan 18, 2021
Thema:

Get back to Windows 10 after motherboard replaced and hard drive failed

1. Get back to Windows 10 after motherboard replaced and hard drive failed - Similar Threads - motherboard replaced hard

2. Getting back to Windows 10 after hard drive crash

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Getting back to Windows 10 after hard drive crash: My computer came with Windows 7 installed. My copy of the Windows 7 from HP is damaged. A fresh Windows 7 does not have the drivers needed. It will not talk with the Internet. I had upgraded to Windows 10 for free where all the hardware works. How can I get back to Windows10...
  3. Getting back to Windows 10 after hard drive crash

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Getting back to Windows 10 after hard drive crash: My computer came with Windows 7 installed. My copy of the Windows 7 from HP is damaged. A fresh Windows 7 does not have the drivers needed. It will not talk with the Internet. I had upgraded to Windows 10 for free where all the hardware works. How can I get back to Windows10...
  4. Reactivate windows 10 after replacing hard drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reactivate windows 10 after replacing hard drive: I am going to be replacing my hard drive with a new drive soon, and it will be the only piece of hardware that I am changing in my computer. My question is can I reinstall windows 10 pro on the new drive without the product key? I looked everywhere but I can't find my...
  5. Reactivate windows 10 after replacing hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reactivate windows 10 after replacing hard drive: I am going to be replacing my hard drive with a new drive soon, and it will be the only piece of hardware that I am changing in my computer. My question is can I reinstall windows 10 pro on the new drive without the product key? I looked everywhere but I can't find my...
  6. Windows 10 Hard Drive is Failing...Need help to replace.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Hard Drive is Failing...Need help to replace.: I have a HP Pavilion Elite e9107c, Win10 Home 64bit upgraded from Win 7, the computer is stock except for the graphic card original card fail and a PCIe USB 3.0 card, both installed about 3yrs+ ago. The HDD currently in the computer is a Seagate Barracuda 750GB...
  7. Replacing Win10 on new hard drive after original failed

in Windows 10 Support
    Replacing Win10 on new hard drive after original failed: First timer so please be gentle. My hard drive failed on my Asus desktop and had to be replaced. This whole thing made me aware of how little I prepared for such a situation. I had a recovery usb but it was from the date of purchase (2012/13) so I created a new one using my...
  8. activate windows 10 after hard drive replacement

activate windows 10 after hard drive replacement: How do I activate Windows 10 after replacing my hard drive. I tried windows key and X as suggested and find "no administrative" space to fill in. I have my old windows xp disc with a number on it....
  9. How to get windows 10 back after my hard drive failed and replaced?

How to get windows 10 back after my hard drive failed and replaced?: My hard drive failed and I replaced it. It now say no bootable devices which means I need an OS. I had window 10 before it failed, how would I get it back?...
  10. Failing to replace failing laptop hard drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Failing to replace failing laptop hard drive: Toshiba C55 series with a failing hard drive. My first attempt was to clone the drives using my Acronis True Image 2015. Formatted the new drive and placed in the PC. Old HD in a USB drive enclosure. Booted from the TI "Bootable Rescue Media.." As soon as it started to...