Windows 10: Get earpiece/headphones to function as microphone

Discus and support Get earpiece/headphones to function as microphone in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I just got a new desktop and when I plug in my earpiece with a built in mic or my sony wh1000xm3 using a cable, a popup from realtek audio comes up... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ItsKeef, Dec 6, 2020.

1. ItsKeef Win User

Get earpiece/headphones to function as microphone

I just got a new desktop and when I plug in my earpiece with a built in mic or my sony wh1000xm3 using a cable, a popup from realtek audio comes up asking whether a plugged it a 'line in/headset/microphone'. When choosing headset option, there is audio through the device but no sound would be registered through the microphone. Any other options would result in the same problem/even not have audio. When connecting through Bluetooth, it would register that there is an input device for the microphone built in into the headset. Is there a way for wired device to be both output and input as they all only have one jack?

:)

ItsKeef, Dec 6, 2020
  2. philc43 Win User

Headphones issue on laptop - Audio from only one earpiece?

Can you confirm which type of headphone plug you are using? Your laptop socket may have got damaged and it could be sensitive to the position of the plug.

Get earpiece/headphones to function as microphone [​IMG]

It really should not matter which type of plug you have but my guess is it is going too far inside the socket and the tip is no longer making contact, your left earpiece will be silent.

philc43, Dec 6, 2020
  3. SupaCrow Win User
    Headphone with built in microphone uses as Microphone, not Headphone

Okay, so I have an Asus laptop with Windows 10. I am using an Ultimate Ears Headphone with built in microphone. The problem is that i want to use the headphone part, but all the the laptop registers is the microphone.
    Get earpiece/headphones to function as microphone [​IMG]

How can I change this, as i cannot watch videos without disturbing others.

SupaCrow, Dec 6, 2020
  4. domw0401 Win User

Turtle Beach headset working either as headphones or microphone.

Hi everyone,
    I'm having a slight issue with my turtle beach xo four stealths on my new pc. Before on my laptop, I simply plugged the 3.5mm jack into the headphone port and they acted as both headphones and windows recognized them as an input device also. However now on my new pc build, I have a headphone and a microphone jack and they work separate from each other. This is a pain as I'm trying to stream with OBS and I can either have a mic or my headphones not both like I used to have. Also on a side note, when I plug the headphones into the microphone jack the sound is super quiet with loads of background noise. These are designed for an Xbox one controller and work flawlessly on Xbox with clear sound etc but on the new pc, they are awful!

Edit: Just found that whenever I plug the headset in as a mic or any earphones or headset windows thinks the earpiece or speakers are the microphones which accounts for the bad audio quality. Now is the question of why in hell does windows think the speakers are microphones Get earpiece/headphones to function as microphone :)

Any help is appreciated!

domw0401, Dec 6, 2020
Thema:

1. Get earpiece/headphones to function as microphone - Similar Threads - earpiece headphones function

2. Headphones as microphones

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Headphones as microphones: My headphones are recognised microphones after replugging. I accidentally clicked microphones on this popup and pressed "do not show dialog again" , what is this popup and how do i get it back?...
  3. Headphones as microphones

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Headphones as microphones: My headphones are recognised microphones after replugging. I accidentally clicked microphones on this popup and pressed "do not show dialog again" , what is this popup and how do i get it back?...
  4. Microphones do not echo into headphones or speakers, may be partially functional

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Microphones do not echo into headphones or speakers, may be partially functional: I've tested microphones using onboard audio, soundcards from ASUS and CT, and a desktop microphone. The troubleshoot testing results in a tone being heard before the troubleshoot is unable to find what is wrong. The microphone audio causes the VU meter to to ignite, as if the...
  5. Microphones do not echo into headphones or speakers, may be partially functional

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microphones do not echo into headphones or speakers, may be partially functional: I've tested microphones using onboard audio, soundcards from ASUS and CT, and a desktop microphone. The troubleshoot testing results in a tone being heard before the troubleshoot is unable to find what is wrong. The microphone audio causes the VU meter to to ignite, as if the...
  6. Microphones do not echo into headphones or speakers, may be partially functional

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Built in microphone will not function unless headphones are using "hands-free"

Built in microphone will not function unless headphones are using "hands-free": I just bought a Bose headset and it has a build in mic which works fine on my phone however, and I've had this problem before, the microphone is tagged with the "hands-free AG audio". The playback has both the hands free and stereo options, and unless the actual playback...
  8. Headphone And Microphone Jack Not getting Detected

Headphone And Microphone Jack Not getting Detected: My PC Specs Sony Vaio E sereis Windows 10 2004 Model - SVE1513cynb 3GB RAM Audio Chipset - Maybe Realtek When using Microsoft HD Audio Driver both Jack don't get detected But when I use Realtek HD Audio Driver Headphone Jack gets detected but when I put in headphone...
  9. Headphones issue on laptop - Audio from only one earpiece?

Headphones issue on laptop - Audio from only one earpiece?: So I was listening to music today and suddenly I could hear only with one ear. Weird thing is that no matter what I did, I still couldn't fix it. Tried with another headphones pair, nothing. I used my "broken" pair on my Xperia Z3 Compact phone and everything works...
  10. Headphone with built in microphone uses as Microphone, not Headphone

in Windows 10 Support
    Headphone with built in microphone uses as Microphone, not Headphone: Okay, so I have an Asus laptop with Windows 10. I am using an Ultimate Ears Headphone with built in microphone. The problem is that i want to use the headphone part, but all the the laptop registers is the microphone. [img] How can I change this, as i cannot watch videos...