Windows 10: Get error msg when trying to copy files onto external hard drive

Discus and support Get error msg when trying to copy files onto external hard drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm trying to copy all my pictures off of my hard drive onto a 3T external hard drive. I have very little disk space remaining on my hard drive. When... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ValerieKozlowski, May 29, 2019.

1. Get error msg when trying to copy files onto external hard drive

I'm trying to copy all my pictures off of my hard drive onto a 3T external hard drive. I have very little disk space remaining on my hard drive. When I 'copy' the pictures file and then try to paste it to the external hard drive, I get the message "There is not enough space on Windows". What the heck does this mean? I'm try to copy it to a completely empty 3T EXTERNAL drive; why do I need to have 'space on Windows'???

:)

ValerieKozlowski, May 29, 2019
  2. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, May 29, 2019
  3. Access Denied trying to copy from external drive

Hello,

We realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with copying file from external drive on C drive. We will certainly help you.

It would be grateful if you can reply to this questions in order to assist you further:

• Have you tried copying the file in some other location on your system?
    • What is the exact error message you receive?
    • Which all troubleshooting steps have you already tried?

We suggest you to try copying the file in Safe mode and check if you are able to. Follow the steps from link below:

Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10

Let us know the results. We will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, May 29, 2019
  4. twynog Win User

Get error msg when trying to copy files onto external hard drive

External hard drive not recognised

Thanks for this. I've done what you suggested and been through all the steps mentioned in the article. The hard drive works fine on a Mac computer, and I've managed to copy the information on it. It must be a Surface issue so I'll try to get a chat line tomorrow.

twynog, May 29, 2019
Thema:

Get error msg when trying to copy files onto external hard drive

1. Get error msg when trying to copy files onto external hard drive - Similar Threads - error msg trying

2. Copying multiple files to an external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Copying multiple files to an external hard drive.: I am running Windows 11 and I want to copy multiple folders containing multiple files from one external hard drive to another. Prior to my upgrading to Windows 11, I was able to perform this operation. As the following screen print shows: the copy process starts.The next...
  3. Copying multiple files to an external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Copying multiple files to an external hard drive.: I am running Windows 11 and I want to copy multiple folders containing multiple files from one external hard drive to another. Prior to my upgrading to Windows 11, I was able to perform this operation. As the following screen print shows: the copy process starts.The next...
  4. Copying to External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Copying to External Hard Drive: I try to copy files to my external hard drives, the system goes through the procedure, but when I look where the files should be, only the folders are being copied. Why am I unable to copy to external drives and how can I do this?...
  5. External very slow to copy files onto it

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External very slow to copy files onto it: I normally copy a folder full of files (9GB) off my Windows 10 pc onto 2 External Drives as backup Do it weekly and never had a problem. I copied the folder to one of the extenals today and it took 7 minutes Started to copy them to the second External straight afterwards and...
  6. getting this error when trying to access my external hard drive (description in the comments)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    getting this error when trying to access my external hard drive (description in the comments): [ATTACH] submitted by /u/jeedsdouble [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/irxbiq/getting_this_error_when_trying_to_access_my/
  7. Error when transferring files to external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Error when transferring files to external hard drive: When transferring image files from laptop to an external hard drive I continue getting an error message saying there is not enough space in the computers picture files to complete the transfer. This is not making sense to me as I am trying to transfer the images from the...
  8. External Hard Drive copies

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard Drive copies: When I attach an external hard drive it displays two copies (e.g. Drive (E:)) the content is the same but when moving folders or files i have sometimes put them in different copies. I would like just one drive but how do i get rid of the copy?...
  9. Copying files onto a win10 hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Copying files onto a win10 hard drive: I'm trying to figure out what MS changed in Win10. *I typically hook a screwed 10 PC's hard drive to my computer and copy all their files before reinstalling windows. *Then after windows has been reinstalled I hook their hard drive to my pc and copy the files back. *Problem...
  10. Files gone when trying to copy them from laptop to external hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Files gone when trying to copy them from laptop to external hard drive: Hi everyone. I apologize if this is a duplicate request by others but greatly need some assistance. Today, I transferred files from my husband's Samsung Galaxy S7 to the laptop hard drive. Once transferred, I hit "Ctrl-C" to "copy" them from the laptop folder to our...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. .msg file on extneral file

2. In parallels when i try to copy files from my windows to external hard drive i get a message Access denied.....

3. how to check if the files in windows 7 are completely transferred to external hard drive: microsoft