Windows 10: Get File History to recognize previous backup

Discus and support Get File History to recognize previous backup in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I had my files stored in File History on a network drive. I have verified that they're all there. But when I go to restore them, File History can't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Rrhain, Oct 20, 2019.

1. Rrhain Win User

Get File History to recognize previous backup

I had my files stored in File History on a network drive. I have verified that they're all there. But when I go to restore them, File History can't seem to find them. They're in a folder name/computer name/Data/C/Users/username/everything...

However, when I go to File History, click on Select Drive, select the network drive, and then tell it I want to use a previous backup on this File History drive, it cannot find it. It has a completely different User name and Computer name.

How do I get File History to recognize my previous backup? If it's a question of renaming the user name and computer name to match what it the previous computer was, fine, but how do I do that?

:)

Rrhain, Oct 20, 2019
  2. Junaid_A Win User

File History restart

Hi Jim,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forums.

To change the backup drive for File History, the current process should be stopped. I suggest you to try the steps listed below to stop file history on an older drive and restart it on a new drive:

Change File History backup drive:

• Open Settings and navigate to Update & Security > Backup.
    • Click on More Options, scroll down to locate
      Backup to a different drive section, and choose Stop Using Drive.
    • Plug in the new storage drive, navigate to Settings > Update & Security > Backup,
      and choose Add a Drive.
    • Restart File History and configure it by referring to the article

File History in Windows

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Oct 20, 2019
  3. File History backups

Hi William,

To help you with your File History backups issue, we suggest running the
    System File Checker
    with the steps found on this
    thread

Update us on the results.

Regards.

Angela Pun, Oct 20, 2019
  4. Get File History to recognize previous backup

File History does not backup automatically

Hi,

Thank you for writing us back.

I would suggest you to go through the below steps:

• Press Windows key+I.

• Click on Update and security.

• On the left pane, click on backup and select on under automatically back up my files.

• Click on more option under on button.

• Select every hour (default) under back up my files.

• Select forever (default) under keep my files.

Also refer the link below link and check if it helps:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/set-drive-file-history

Also work in Windows 10

I hope this helps. Please post back with the status of the issue and we will be glad to assist you further.

Shubham Chaubey, Oct 20, 2019
Thema:

Get File History to recognize previous backup

1. Get File History to recognize previous backup - Similar Threads - File History recognize

2. File History backup?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History backup?: If I move a file from folder A already backedup in file history to a USB PenDrive to folder B, will it show up in folder B in FileHistory in the next backup? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-backup/2135cd57-4a9e-4e43-9fd9-d1bbff65e057
  3. File History backup?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File History backup?: If I move a file from folder A already backedup in file history to a USB PenDrive to folder B, will it show up in folder B in FileHistory in the next backup? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-backup/2135cd57-4a9e-4e43-9fd9-d1bbff65e057
  4. Previous backup not appearing in File History

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Previous backup not appearing in File History: My PC laptop is having a keyboard issue, and it was recommended that I back up my files and reset my computer + clear files to see if the issue resolved itself. After resetting my computer, I am trying to restore my files to the backup I made on an external hard drive using...
  5. File history backup

File history backup: I am planning to upgrade my notebook. Ques is, I have my data saved as file history in an external drive. Will I be able to restore data into new notebook from this file history?...
  6. File history backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File history backup: Windows 10 v 2004.I notice when selecting Settings-Windows Update-Backup-the option to "add a drive" to back up using file history has been replaced with "Automatically back up my files"although not ON as default. How does this work to back up to a seperate drive? 158363
  7. File History for Backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History for Backup: Are there any complete instructions how File History works and how one is to retrieve documents when needed. Also how to eliminate files when File History back up drive is full. Thanks.... RDH...
  8. Windows 10 Not Finding File History from Previous Backup

Windows 10 Not Finding File History from Previous Backup: Hey all, I recently reset my computer to try and troubleshoot something because nothing else was working I know, not a great idea. It wiped everything, obviously. I put a backup onto my external drive before the reset, so it has a folder called FileHistory with what I...
  9. New Drive and New Win10, but File History does not recognize previous backups

New Drive and New Win10, but File History does not recognize previous backups: Hello, 2 year old I7 running Win10 preinstalled, and the hard drive died. Replaced hard drive and did a clean Win10 install. Now I want to restore my latest version of files from file history. It does not recognize the Configuration/Data folders that are on my external drive,...
  10. Backup file history

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Backup file history: How do I set up File History to back up to an external hard drive in Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/backup-file-history/2809c456-e34a-47f9-93ab-ea6c9188fd03"