Windows 10: Get ready to pay more for apps on Windows Store

Discus and support Get ready to pay more for apps on Windows Store in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft will update the price tier values for Windows Store during the week of April 13, 2015. Windows Store supports 96 tiers that publishers can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Get ready to pay more for apps on Windows Store

Read more: Get ready to pay more for apps on Windows Store from next month | Windows Central

Brink, Mar 22, 2015
  2. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

When in the History of this entire planet have we NEVER had to pay More -- the person who said the only inevitable things in this life are Death and Taxes was wrong -he should have added the third thing : Increasing Prices. !!

As far as the store is concerned I haven't found anything in it that I'd even THINK about wanting to install -- whether free or paid.

There's still plenty of alternative sources (legal) for Windows apps -- and don't forget the HUGE amount of often very good Open Source software too.

For example take the excellent VLC player -- I remember a few years ago other companies were pushing out Commercial DVD playing software which was far more restrictive of what it could play and cost a bit of money too !!!.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Mar 22, 2015
  3. Robfly Win User
    Where's my free Windows DVD Player?

I have the same problem, the store app broke the dvd player and now Microsoft wants me to pay $15 for it.

I will not buy any thing from the store until Microsoft fixes this.

I'd be afraid I would have to pay for it again

we have the mediacenter key why not jut ask us from the store and verify it.

we paid for mediacenter for the dvd codex we shouldn't have to pay again just because Microsoft broke it.

unacceptable.

Microsoft gives it, then breaks it, then takes it away.

is windows 10 really free?

i'm beginning to wonder.

i'll keep my windows 8.1 dvd ready to go back.

the is just one of the many bugs i'm trying to fix, wifi, file corruption, broken zune, corrupt profiles, store app and its apps, and more

I think vista didn't do this bad.

Robfly, Mar 22, 2015
  4. Robfly Win User

Windows DVD Player not available for me for free anymore? Can download Windows DVD Player manually off the internet?

I have the same problem, the store app broke the dvd player and now Microsoft wants me to pay $15 for it.

I will not buy any thing from the store until Microsoft fixes this.

I'd be afraid I would have to pay for it again

we have the mediacenter key why not jut ask us from the store and verify it.

we paid for mediacenter for the dvd codex we shouldn't have to pay again just because Microsoft broke it.

unacceptable.

Microsoft gives it, then breaks it, then takes it away.

is windows 10 really free?

i'm beginning to wonder.

i'll keep my windows 8.1 dvd ready to go back.

the is just one of the many bugs i'm trying to fix, wifi, file corruption, broken zune, corrupt profiles, store app and its apps, and more

I think vista didn't do this bad.

Robfly, Mar 22, 2015
  5. BillyBob Win User
    It must be just me, I think since the Store has opened there are plenty of good free and cheap apps. I used to pay a lot more for games before the Store opened.

BillyBob, Mar 22, 2015
  6. Trust_No1 Win User
    LOL (only Microsoft)

I don't think Microsoft has gotten the gist yet on app stores, most companies want you to use the apps to promote their products and software. What good is a blackberry, Amazon Fire, Samsung tablets, iPad, iPhone without it's apps? Not much. So free or inexpensive apps is a given. I don't know of any of my friends ever paying more than a few dollars for an app, most banks and such are free.

So for Microsoft to increase it's app store prices, just tells me, either 1) they just don't get it, or 2) they are losing more revenues than expected and going to burn the companies, to get it back. IMO

Trust_No1, Mar 22, 2015
  7. Mystere Win User
    Or 3) you didn't read the article.

Microsoft is not increasing the prices, they're just updating prices to current currency exchange rates. That could go down (as in when the Euro increases against the dollar) or go up as in when a different currency decreases against the dollar. It all depends on how your local currency is performing against USD, and whether or not your country has instituted new or larger taxes.

Mystere, Mar 22, 2015
  8. Get ready to pay more for apps on Windows Store

I have some apps I find useful and don't mind paying for them

For me though the thing that will stop me using them is Win 10, I don't like the app experience on a desktop

paulsalter, Mar 22, 2015
  9. unifex Win User
    See, according to your specs, you are using a 15" laptop. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to get personal, but I'm just using your specs as an example. For a 15" screen, I can see someone wanting to use apps full screen. Now, I'm on a 30" monitor. I can't stand anything being full screen - it just doesn't make sense. That's why I don't use any of those "modern apps" - before Windows 10 they were insisting on being full screen (or half screen, not much better) and while that's OK an a small laptop or tablet, it just makes no sense on a desktop.

Sadly, everything on the web is getting formatted for tablets these days. I need to buy a new laptop now and I have a very hard time - 17" laptops are mostly classified as "gaming" and I need to convince the university that what I'm buying is in fact necessary for work *Smile.

As to the App Store - I've never used it and I doubt I will in foreseeable future.

unifex, Mar 22, 2015
  10. BillyBob Win User
    You sound like a lot of people on here, do you realise you don't get a medal for not using the App Store. What's wrong with the News App, the Weather App, the Money App, the Travel App, the Music App, just to name a few.

I know you're probably a power user and Metro is beneath you, but there are some quite good Apps in the Store.

BillyBob, Mar 23, 2015
  11. IMO, What you have just said is why I think that 10 having the same interface for everything is a mistake

On a 30" monitor I wouldn't use apps in full screen either, and the store apps running windowed is a good improvement
    On Laptop screens and smaller, I prefer full screen as you get more of the app, and running things windowed doesn't work very well for me

on my 8" tablet (if I upgrade it to 10), there is no way I want apps windowed or to have any desktop elements visible when using apps as they take up to much space

trying to wait patiently for improvements to continuum that will make all happy, but my patience with MS is running out with them constantly removing these type of features with every build *Sad

paulsalter, Mar 23, 2015
  12. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

some apps are quite OK in full screen even on a large monitor

(Stock exchange real time level 2 systems for example -- Try "Day trading " with small windowed monitors -- I need 3 or even 4 LARGE screens in full screen mode when "Day trading". !!!!! Doing this type of stuff on a tablet is just so inconceivable I wouldn't even waste my time thinking about it - but buying say a Train / Plane ticket in advance - a tablet is fine (or better these days a decent mobile phone).

It's almost impossible to have a single interface that covers all ranges of hardware and user behaviour. I think actually Ms is beginning to get the point (very belatedly but better late than never).

The system should be decently user configurable to what the user is doing and the hardware being used. It's almost impossible to predict this in advance to use a single OS interface - Ms are on to a LOSER if they really persist in trying for a single interface.

Being able to switch say into Tablet or Phone mode for small touch devices is probably a decent start - otherwise W8 fiasco all over again. But again don't go TOO far the other way either -- some DESKTOP type apps - especially Engineering or Financial apps using Multi-monitors often need FULL SCREEN also for proper and efficient working. Let the user choose. !!!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 23, 2015
  13. Mystere Win User

You know, you really need to consider something VERY important here. You are being given a chance to "Sample the soup" while it's being cooked. You are making assumptions about what the final will be like based on intermediate steps along the normal development process, and that's just not something you can do.

It's telling that you talk about "being impatient". Maybe you're not cut out to use pre-release software. In days gone by, you would have just got the final (or near final) version and not had to go through all these intermediate steps (which, trust me, happened before.. you just never saw them). Microsoft is giving us all a chance to weigh in on changes as they happen, but we should be careful to understand that this is a work in progress and YOU HAVE TO HAVE PATIENCE, because it won't be completely finished until it's actually done.

This technical preview stuff is a double edged sword for Microsoft, on the one hand it validates why they kept development a secret up until the end.. too many people jumping to conclusions.. getting frustrated with the standard iterative development process, and then publicly screaming about how bad the product is based on these intermediate releases. But, it also helps them to tune things before release rather than having to wait for a service pack.

Mystere, Mar 23, 2015
  14. Gary Win User
    MS would not limit the use of Apps to just their Store would they? I am trying to figure out why the free upgrade, there has to be some sort of catch or maybe not..

15. unifex Win User
    I think it's quite clear that a single interface across all hardware platforms is a bad idea. Even Apple does not push that with iOS and OSX being clearly distinct. Of course, Microsoft covers way more hardware than Apple, but it is not clear why the user interface on a phone and on a desktop PC Should be same.

Of course there are applications that need to run full screen and perhaps span over multiple monitors. But these are rather specialized programs and not apps. In the past one could run them within the regular windowed interface without trouble. The good thing about the regular windowed interface is that I can choose whether to run a program full screen or not, depending on what I want to do. Sometimes, I use Acrobat full screen, because if I'm discussing the text with someone, it's good to have it as big as possible. But when I'm editing the same text, I need to have the editor, the command line, the pdf reader and a couple of other instances of acrobat open all at the same time. That cannot be done within the rigid restrictions of the tablet-like interface. That's why my iPad is good to show kids cartoons, maybe read the news before going to bed, and not much more.

unifex, Mar 23, 2015
Thema:

1. Get ready to pay more for apps on Windows Store - Similar Threads - ready pay more

2. Microsoft Store App is Stuck on Getting Ready Screen

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft Store App is Stuck on Getting Ready Screen: Whenever I open my Microsoft Store app it is stuck in the getting ready screen, i cannot access store settings and when i reset Microsoft Store using msreset it opens and gets stuck on the same screen again....
  3. Microsoft Store App is Stuck on Getting Ready Screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Store App is Stuck on Getting Ready Screen: Whenever I open my Microsoft Store app it is stuck in the getting ready screen, i cannot access store settings and when i reset Microsoft Store using msreset it opens and gets stuck on the same screen again....
  4. Microsoft Store App is Stuck on Getting Ready Screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Getting Windows Ready

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Getting Windows Ready: I don’t really know what category to put this under, but, I’m stuck on the “Getting Windows Ready - Don’t turn off your computer” screen This has been going on for *2 days*, yesterday and all of today. I’ve left it for hours with no progress, I took out anything externally...
  6. Ransomware-as-a-service is exploding: Be ready to pay

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Ransomware-as-a-service is exploding: Be ready to pay: Or better yet, have a backup & don't worry about paying. The time to avoid having to deal with ransomware is taking steps BEFORE you get it. After you get infected, there is a extremely slim chance, if any, of recovering your data unless you pay up....
  7. Two Apps Ready in Windows Store to be Updated

Two Apps Ready in Windows Store to be Updated: Yahoo Mail App No version number Available Facebook App Version 4.10.107.191 Both Ready in Windows Store to be Updated 50083
  8. Apps ready in Store to be installed and updated

Apps ready in Store to be installed and updated: Had 3 Apps in Store today ready to be installed and updated Microsoft Photo Microsoft Phone Films & TV All went in ok No restart needed 45599
  9. Windows Store to get more UI improvements, in-app Redeem feature, ....

in Windows 10 News
    Windows Store to get more UI improvements, in-app Redeem feature, ....: Windows Store to get more UI improvements, in-app Redeem feature, and more [img] Recently, we reported that Microsoft is internally considering an improved user interface for app listings in the Windows Store. Alongside improved UI for app listings, Microsoft is...
  10. Getting Windows Ready

in Windows 10 Support
    Getting Windows Ready: Hello All, I hope this is the appropriate forum for this question. I was having an issue connecting wo something I had in the and think it was a java issue (it works fine on my desktop, not so much on my laptop and I'm not even sure java is on my desktop). I know it...