Windows 10: Get setup.exe from unknown publisher when trying to uninstall program installed from known...

Discus and support Get setup.exe from unknown publisher when trying to uninstall program installed from known... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I downloaded ScanSnap IX500 setup program from internet, and when I installed it, windows verified its signature. Something went wrong and I tried to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by danutz94, Jan 4, 2019.

1. danutz94 Win User

Get setup.exe from unknown publisher when trying to uninstall program installed from known...

I downloaded ScanSnap IX500 setup program from internet, and when I installed it, windows verified its signature.

Something went wrong and I tried to uninstall ScanSnap Manager, but during this process I get: "Do you want to allow this app from an unknown publisher to make changes to your device?".

More details gives the program location:

C:\Program Files (x86)\InstallShield Installation Information\{DBCDB997-EEEB-4BE9-BAFF-26B4094DBDE6}\setup.exe

:)

danutz94, Jan 4, 2019
  2. BulldogXX Win User

Can't run program with 'unknown publisher'

A little background might help.

Before you run a program, it's very important to be sure that the program is actually what it claims to be. For example: Just because a file
    calls itself Winword.exe, how do you know it really is Microsoft Word?

Software developers vouch for their identity by obtaining a digital certificate, which is a proof of identity not unlike a passport or a driver's license. Digital certificates are issued by trustworthy organizations called certificate authorities.

Most people wouldn't begin to know (and why should they) how to check whether a program they want to run has a valid digital certificate, so the operating system does that for you by consulting the list of known and accepted certificate authorities included
    in the operating system.

So here's what happened: Windows won't open your program because the certificate authority (the 'publisher') is not, or is no longer, on the list of known and accepted certificate authorities. The publisher might have been known and accepted in an earlier
    list of certificate authorities, but the lists are updated frequently. The April 2018 update, or another update, revised the list of known publishers, and the publisher for your program ain't no longer on it.

None of this was invented by Microsoft, who is simply complying with internationally accepted standards for safe computing.

You're seeing the message because Windows can no longer guarantee that the program is safe to use.

BulldogXX, Jan 4, 2019
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    Can't run program with 'unknown publisher'

"Can't run program with 'unknown publisher'"

"I am attempting to open a program with an unknown publisher"

BulldogXX, Jan 4, 2019
  4. chaithraM Win User

Get setup.exe from unknown publisher when trying to uninstall program installed from known...

MSI & EXE installation throwing pop up as unknown publisher on Windows 10 - 1607 and 1709 update

I am trying to install an EXE which is a wrapper to the MSI on Windows 10 - 1607 and 1709 versions of OS which is throwing a pop up as
    unknown publisher. (both EXE and MSI is throwing the pop up)

We have the .pfx files and the installer should not show unknown publisher.

NOTE: this issue was not observed in the previous version of Windows(7 & 10).

Please let us know if there is any specific UAC changes as part of these latest WIN10 updates and workaround for the same.

chaithraM, Jan 4, 2019
Thema:

1. Get setup.exe from unknown publisher when trying to uninstall program installed from known... - Similar Threads - setup exe unknown

2. Task Manager is an app from an "unknown publisher"?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task Manager is an app from an "unknown publisher"?: I just did a fresh Windows 11 installation. All of the most recent updates have been successfully installed.When I start Task Manager, I get a popup that says "Do you want to allow this app from an unknown publisher to make changes to your device?"I thought this might be a...
  3. Getting Unknown Publisher While Downloading and installing exe from Server

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Getting Unknown Publisher While Downloading and installing exe from Server: Hi Team,We have one window application that is developed on Dot Net Framework 4.8. We used Click Once technology for deployment. I used signing key at project level. While publishing I given local drive path and for Installation URL given one of the our web server.So...
  4. Getting Unknown Publisher While Downloading and installing exe from Server

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Getting Unknown Publisher While Downloading and installing exe from Server: Hi Team,We have one window application that is developed on Dot Net Framework 4.8. We used Click Once technology for deployment. I used signing key at project level. While publishing I given local drive path and for Installation URL given one of the our web server.So...
  5. Getting Unknown Publisher While Downloading and installing exe from Server

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. Task Manager is a file from unknown publisher?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task Manager is a file from unknown publisher?: When I try to launch Task Manager under administrator, I get UAC prompt asking if I want to allow the app from an unknown publisher to make changes to my device. This is a fairly recent problem, just few weeks ago I didn't have it.My initial thought was that it may be...
  7. Taks Manager is a file from unknown publisher?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Taks Manager is a file from unknown publisher?: When I try to launch Task Manager under administrator, I get UAC prompt asking if I want to allow the app from an unknown publisher to make changes to my device. This is a fairly recent problem, just few weeks ago I didn't have it.My initial thought was that it may be...
  8. Can't install programs from "Unknown"?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can't install programs from "Unknown"?: I've been trying to install a program that I know for certain is safe - however I am getting completely blocked out of it by Windows, and it's telling me to "contact an administrator". I am an admin on the account, I checked. I also even went as far as to make a new account...
  9. Unknown Publisher for when trying the installerexe/msi

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unknown Publisher for when trying the installerexe/msi: I'm using Visual Studio 2019 and have build "Installersmsi/exe" using "Setup Wizard". When i'm running the set.exe installer, the application "publisher" is being reported as "Unknown". I've gone through some references and found that the setup.exe needs to be digitally...
  10. Computer fails to install setup .exe program from original CD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Computer fails to install setup .exe program from original CD: I’ve purchased a new HP laptop running Windows 10. My problem is that I cannot install media for the wireless printer. I tried to run the setup .exe program from the original CD but received a message that I should get the permission from the administrator. Then I tried to...