Windows 10: Get Started App - Video Won't Play

Discus and support Get Started App - Video Won't Play in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I've just upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1. Videos play fine in Windows 10 from VLC and Media Player but the Get Started App fails to play a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Steve C, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Steve C Win User

Get Started App - Video Won't Play

I've just upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1. Videos play fine in Windows 10 from VLC and Media Player but the Get Started App fails to play a video. What may be wrong?

:)

Steve C, Jul 8, 2016

2. viewing videos on windows 10

Why don't videos play on windows 10? You tube videos won't play (sometimes the sound works but the video doesn't play), even the get started videos won't play. Is there a fix?

robertandersonxa, Jul 8, 2016
  3. VicJL Win User
    Windows 10 won't let me play videos from websites

Another thing - I've just been into the getting started screen on Microsoft site and tried to view the video about the Xbox App - guess what - it won't play and comes up with the message 'Error - Video could not be decoded'.

Does this get me closer to a solution?

VicJL, Jul 8, 2016
  4. Get Started App - Video Won't Play

Hello Steve,

I had the same problem. Click on tutorial link below, this troubleshooter worked for me. Then reboot your device after you run this troubleshooter. Afterwards, make sure you have an Internet connection. Once you start the app give it plenty of time to load all the videos before attempting to play one of them.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...0-a.html?ltr=W

Hope this helps,
    John

AmericanPharaoh, Jul 9, 2016
  5. Steve C Win User
    Running the Store Troubleshooter fixed the problem for me in my Admin account but not my user account. It found the IE temporary file location was incorrect and reset it. Note you have to reboot for the changes to apply. I still can't get it to work in my user account.

Steve C, Jul 9, 2016
  6. Glad to see you've sorted some of your video issue.

Many Microsoft users have reported corrupt user accounts after upgrading to Windows 10.

For the user account issue try creating a new user account, then move you personal files from your old user account to your new user account and delete the old account. Reboot, try to run a "get started" video.

Keep us posted.

John

AmericanPharaoh, Jul 10, 2016
  7. Steve C Win User
    I'm in discussion on another thread about how to reset apps at https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...ws-10-a-4.html

I'll try the app reset command when available after 2nd Aug and the powershell command given in the above thread.

If that doesn't work, I'll just create a new account and copy the files across. I haven't done this before in Windows 10 - does the procedure here still apply https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...#1TC=windows-7 ? I have various complex filenames beginning with ntuser...... Presumably I shouldn't copy these to the new profile (see below)?

Get Started App - Video Won't Play [​IMG]

I guess I'll have reinstall my apps but everything else should be OK

Steve C, Jul 10, 2016
  8. Get Started App - Video Won't Play

First try the Powershell fix recommended by Shawn (Brink) in the another thread your following.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...ws-10-a-4.html

If that does not fix the video issue in your standard user account, then go ahead and create a new user account as previously discussed here. Do not copy any of the NTUSER.DAT files you have listed in your screen shot.

Please, keep us posted on your progress.
    John

AmericanPharaoh, Jul 11, 2016
  9. Steve C Win User
    The powershell command didn't work. In addition, I can't play the other videos in the Get Started App (see screenshot) in this user account only. Am I missing a codec needed? Note I uninstalled Java in case that is needed.

Get Started App - Video Won't Play [​IMG]

Steve C, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Get Started App - Video Won't Play

1. Get Started App - Video Won't Play - Similar Threads - Started App Video

2. Video Files Won't Play

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Video Files Won't Play: I have some MP4 videos that won't play. I get this message when I try to open them:This file isn't playable. That might be because the file type is unsupported, the file extension is incorrect, or the file is corrupt. 0xc00d36c4I don't know what else to do. I've tried...
  3. Video Files Won't Play

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Video Files Won't Play: I have some MP4 videos that won't play. I get this message when I try to open them:This file isn't playable. That might be because the file type is unsupported, the file extension is incorrect, or the file is corrupt. 0xc00d36c4I don't know what else to do. I've tried...
  4. Videos load but won't play.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Videos load but won't play.: My laptop is a recent HP Victus, runs windows 11 64 bit, all updated graphics card RTX3050 too,Today I was playing a video on youtube but then it got frozen, even though it was almost finished and fully loaded.Since then i was never able to play any video on any browser nor...
  5. Videos load but won't play.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Videos load but won't play.: My laptop is a recent HP Victus, runs windows 11 64 bit, all updated graphics card RTX3050 too,Today I was playing a video on youtube but then it got frozen, even though it was almost finished and fully loaded.Since then i was never able to play any video on any browser nor...
  6. Browsers Won't Play Video

in Browsers and Email
    Browsers Won't Play Video: A Dell Optiplex 760 with 4GB of RAM (Acer AX1430G-UW30P), AMD E-450 APU processor. Tower was recently upgraded to W10 from W7. It currently has Chrome (default), Firefox and Edge. Subscribed to MrFood.com to receive recipes. Most of the recipes have an accompanying 2 minute...
  7. Won't play YouTube video

in Windows 10 Customization
    Won't play YouTube video: we set up restrictions when purchased the laptop. how do we now release the restrictions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wont-play-youtube-video/141a4a2f-5518-4d70-aafb-c06e593bbaa7
  8. Video file won't play

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Video file won't play: Hello all, I recently transferred some video files from a jump drive. 4 of 5 are working perfectly however, one video will not play. Attached is a screenshot of the files. The one that will not play is showing an MPEG image instead if the preview picture. All files are mp4...
  9. Video's won't play

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Video's won't play: After Windows 10 upgrade I can't play video's now. There seems to be some type of conflict with Google. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/videos-wont-play/4c3b181a-3f60-4b54-ba09-506eeb796575
  10. Playing Get Started Videos

in Windows 10 Support
    Playing Get Started Videos: Just downloaded Windows 10. Went to Get Started page and tried to play each of the videos. Each one failed to play. Any idea why? 10493