Windows 10: Get Text Suggestions as you type globally when using Windows 10

Discus and support Get Text Suggestions as you type globally when using Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Most computer users come into contact with automatic suggestions when they type in the browser's address bar. The browser may display search term... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Oct 21, 2020.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Get Text Suggestions as you type globally when using Windows 10

Most computer users come into contact with automatic suggestions when they type in the browser's address bar. The browser may display search term suggestions based on the user's input. Some programs may also provide suggestions, but did you know that Windows 10 comes with options to enable suggestions globally on the system?

You get three suggestions whenever you start to type in any program, e.g. in the Firefox web browser, the classic Notepad text editor, or Microsoft Word.

Get Text Suggestions as you type globally when using Windows 10 windows-10-text-suggestions.png

The feature is not exactly new, as it has been a part of Windows 10 for a long time. It is not enabled by default, for reasons discussed later in this guide, and that is probably the main reason why most users have not stumbled upon the feature before.

Here is how you enable it:

1. Use Windows-I to open the Settings application, or select Start > Settings instead.
    2. Go to Devices > Typing.
    3. Scroll down to the Hardware Keyboard section.
    4. Toggle "Show text suggestions as I type" to enable the suggestions feature.
    5. You may also toggle "Autocorrect misspelled words I type" to enable the automatic correct of errors.

The new feature or features are active automatically once enabled. I suggest you try them out right after enabling them, e.g. in Notepad or another text editor that is available. Windows 10 displays three suggestions as soon as you start to type, and you may select them using the mouse, touch, or by using the arrow keys on the keyboard and the Enter-key.

Get Text Suggestions as you type globally when using Windows 10 windows-10-settings-text-suggestions.png

The suggestions appear almost everywhere on the system. Most programs seem to be supported, but you don't get them while typing in File Explorer or a terminal window, e.g. Command Prompt or PowerShell.

The biggest issue that I have with the text suggestion feature of Windows 10 is not the quality of suggestions nor the placement of the suggestions on the screen. The suggestions are often short words, and if you do use the keyboard to type, you will complete the word faster usually by continuing to type. It works better if you use the on-screen keyboard as it delays the input, or if you are uncertain about the spelling of a word.

The location on the screen is quite problematic, as the widget may overlay parts of text so that you are blocked from reading the last line of text at times.

Closing Words

Microsoft has good reasons to keep the text auto suggestions disabled on Windows 10 devices. They may be useful for users who use the touch-keyboard to type, but are not really useful at all for users who use a hardware keyboard to type.

Now You: What is your take on text suggestions?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Get Text Suggestions as you type globally when using Windows 10 appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Oct 21, 2020
  2. Ben Key Win User

Use the "show text suggestions as I type" feature without using the mouse

I just discovered the "Show text suggestions as I type" feature in Windows 10. I enabled it in the Settings application (via Devices\Typing, Hardware, Show text suggestions as I type).

I like the feature. I have discovered one small problem with it.

When you start typing a word, the list of suggestions are displayed as follows.

Get Text Suggestions as you type globally when using Windows 10 fSPAn.png

The above image shows the Notepad window containing the text "Hel" and the suggestions list containing the following three items.

• Hello
    • Hell
    • Help

The problem is that so far I have only been able to find one method of selecting an item in the suggestions list, to use the mouse. I would prefer to be able to make my selection using the keyboard.

Ben Key, Oct 21, 2020
  3. text suggestion

Hi, Alp Patel.

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community.

To enable text suggestion on your Lumia 640, you may follow these steps:

1. Go to Settings under your App list.

2. Search for Keyboard.

3. Tap the keyboard you're using to make changes.

4. Check the checkbox for "Suggest text".

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Cristal Reg, Oct 21, 2020
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

three word suggestions

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you want to disable word suggestions when you type any word. I’ll certainly help you with the steps.

To disable text suggestions, I would suggest you to refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows Logo key + I, to open
      Settings.
    2. Click on Devices, and click on
      Typing
      on the left pane.
    3. Now, under Typing toggle the switch to off for
      Show text suggestions as I type on the software keyboard.
    4. Under Hardware keyboard, toggle the switch to on for
      Show text suggestions as I type.

Let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to help you further.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Oct 21, 2020
Thema:

1. Get Text Suggestions as you type globally when using Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Text Suggestions type

2. In "Enable text suggestions in Windows", I've suggestion

in Windows 10 Gaming
    In "Enable text suggestions in Windows", I've suggestion: In "Enable text suggestions in Windows", I've suggestion: make the choice between the suggested words by the "up arrow" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/in-enable-text-suggestions-in-windows-ive/cf37a763-b332-4047-82f9-a934f71e250a
  3. In "Enable text suggestions in Windows", I've suggestion

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    In "Enable text suggestions in Windows", I've suggestion: In "Enable text suggestions in Windows", I've suggestion: make the choice between the suggested words by the "up arrow" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/in-enable-text-suggestions-in-windows-ive/cf37a763-b332-4047-82f9-a934f71e250a
  4. What is the shortcut key to enable and disable text suggestions when typing on the physical...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is the shortcut key to enable and disable text suggestions when typing on the physical...: When I use some website for programming then the text suggestion come on top of keyword/function, which is annoying and going to settings just to change settings again and again does is not productive. I cannot locate shortcut, if there is none there should be, are there any...
  5. What is the shortcut key to enable and disable text suggestions when typing on the physical...

What is the shortcut key to enable and disable text suggestions when typing on the physical...: When I use some website for programming then the text suggestion come on top of keyword/function, which is annoying and going to settings just to change settings again and again does is not productive. I cannot locate shortcut, if there is none there should be, are there any...
  6. Windows 11 Text Suggestions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Text Suggestions: What is with the text suggestions in Windows 11. I see this in Outlook and Teams mostly. I assume it is Word as well. I misspell "delicious" as delicous and the suggested words are 'dioicous, declivous, and devious'. It is the same for almost everything I type. If I mistype...
  7. Unwanted censorship when using keyboard voice to text typing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unwanted censorship when using keyboard voice to text typing: Hello I'm wondering if there's a way for me to turn off this automatic censoring of words that apparently are deemed inappropriate when using the on screen keyboard voice typing. I am an adult and I have no problem using profanity or inappropriate language and I would really...
  8. Unwanted censorship when using keyboard voice to text typing

Unwanted censorship when using keyboard voice to text typing: Hello I'm wondering if there's a way for me to turn off this automatic censoring of words that apparently are deemed inappropriate when using the on screen keyboard voice typing. I am an adult and I have no problem using profanity or inappropriate language and I would really...
  9. When typing in the text box, the words get smaller

When typing in the text box, the words get smaller: When trying to type in the text box over a picture, the first time it worked great. Then I tried to do it on the 4th picture, and the text got smaller when I'm using it on 72 size. No matter what font I use, it's still the same. When i tried making a new one with no picture,...
  10. Advanced configuration of typing text suggestions such as add/remove items

in Windows 10 Customization
    Advanced configuration of typing text suggestions such as add/remove items: Hi as far as I've been able to search the web, I've not found any possible way to fine-tune text/typing suggestions in Windows 10. All the info online seem to be simple guides for enabling/disabling the text suggestions & typing insights features and do not mention custom...