Windows 10: Get Win 7 icons back in Win 10- "how to successfully use Icon Changer"

Discus and support Get Win 7 icons back in Win 10- "how to successfully use Icon Changer" in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; [img] Win 10 with Win 7 icons- note drive, folders, recycle bin, My PC - 77 Win 7 icons altogether. Hi, Icon Changer Damian's Homepage is meant... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by dalchina, Nov 14, 2015.

1. dalchina New Member

Get Win 7 icons back in Win 10- "how to successfully use Icon Changer"

Get Win 7 icons back in Win 10- "how to successfully use Icon Changer" [​IMG]

Win 10 with Win 7 icons- note drive, folders, recycle bin, My PC - 77 Win 7 icons altogether.

Hi, Icon Changer
    Damian's Homepage
    is meant to replace 77 icons in C:\Windows\System32\imageres.dll with icons from Win 7 in 1 operation, + a restart. And that would be really convenient after the recent major update, where my pretty Win 7 icons (I used Icon Changer and was lucky) reverted to Win 10's icons.

However, most of the time Icon Changer fails to update the icons- because it fails to replace imageres.dll with the updated copy it creates.

Here's how to use it so it does work.

The trick is to restart to a command prompt to manually copy the updated imageres.dll file it creates to C:\Windows\System32\

1. Run Icon Changer as directed as admin to create a patched copy of imageres.dll in Icon Changer's installation folder- the icons are replaced from the Resource folder in Icon Changer's installation folder.
    2. Ignore the prompt to restart - the problem seems to be it fails to copy that updated imageres.dll to
    C:\Windows\System32.
    3. For convenience later, copy this imageres.dll to C:\Windows\System32\imageres-new.dll
    4. Do a SHIFT restart (hold SHIFT KEY and click Restart) to get to the troubleshooting options.
    5. Navigate to 'Command Prompt'
    6. Now enter
    REN C:\Windows\System32\imageres.dll C:\Windows\System32\imageres-orig.dll
    REN C:\Windows\System32\imageres-new.dll C:\Windows\System32\imageres.dll
    to replace imageres.dll with the one containing the new icons.
    7. Restart and hopefully admire your smart Win 7 icons.

:)

dalchina, Nov 14, 2015

2. STOCK Windows 7 to Windows 10 question

Just installed Win 7 OEM on a blank HD. Right now Windows Update is off but if i turned it on and started updating, is there going to be a point where Win 7 will say "You are up to date!" but i won't get the "Upgrade to Win 10" icon? I guess I'm asking
    if there is "seniority," newly installed Win 7's have to get at the back of the line and the line is so long there might be delay.

HurriCane567, Nov 14, 2015
  3. no devices

finally got the icon to get Windows 10, got a message "no supported networking devices connected", what does this mean? can't get win 10 because ...........????? (Now running Win 7 Pro, Google Chrome)

Sortacloseto, Nov 14, 2015
Thema:

Get Win 7 icons back in Win 10- "how to successfully use Icon Changer"

1. Get Win 7 icons back in Win 10- "how to successfully use Icon Changer" - Similar Threads - icons successfully Icon

2. Get back win 10 style search icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Get back win 10 style search icon: As the picture showed, I noticed that the search icon has been change to win 11 style. It is quite discordant in my win 10 system. How can I chage it back to win 10 style?...
  3. Get back win 10 style search icon

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Get back win 10 style search icon: As the picture showed, I noticed that the search icon has been change to win 11 style. It is quite discordant in my win 10 system. How can I chage it back to win 10 style?...
  4. Get back win 10 style search icon

in Cortana
  5. How to get the icons back

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to get the icons back: After moving OneDrive off of the SSD system disk and starting OneDrive on demand, two things have happened that are inconvenient:some icons are just dummies on the desktop and taskbar. How may I change the setup to return the icons to normal?when I start TurboTax software, I...
  6. How to get the icons back

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to get the icons back: After moving OneDrive off of the SSD system disk and starting OneDrive on demand, two things have happened that are inconvenient:some icons are just dummies on the desktop and taskbar. How may I change the setup to return the icons to normal?when I start TurboTax software, I...
  7. Upgraded Win 10 over Win 7. Creating Recovery USB. Will I get back to Win 7?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgraded Win 10 over Win 7. Creating Recovery USB. Will I get back to Win 7?: Hi I have a Toshiba Satellite 630 R135. It has quite a lot of Toshiba software installed. It came with Win 7 but in january I upgraded it to Win 10. Not a clean install, just the upgrade offered from the Microsoft website. I was trying to create a Recovery disk from...
  8. Win 7 back to win 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 7 back to win 10: Yes I had a windows 10 free upgrade back in 2016. I updated an ran on my current pc for awhile. I had a harddrive failure which was my fault had to reinstall win 7. I double checked my Microsoft account an saw coarse my win 10 back up or what have you under devices an my...
  9. How to change file icons using custom icons (Win 10 /64/ 1903)

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to change file icons using custom icons (Win 10 /64/ 1903): I've been using File Types Manager for years without a problem. But since the Win 10 / 64 1903 update the 'Browse' function no longer works. How can we access and use custom icons for files (such as an mp3 file) without File Types Manager? 142596
  10. Win 7 to Win 10..back to 7 and back to 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 7 to Win 10..back to 7 and back to 10: *Rolleyes This concerns this Activation error So perhaps I should have waited to see if it would have activated. Long story short.... win 7 (Home premium)was upgraded to win10.. win10 was activated... did a clean install of win10 with a disk i had created from...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to get back win 7 icons