Windows 10: Get Windows 10 to ask before updating

Discus and support Get Windows 10 to ask before updating in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; A couple of days ago I was trying to do something online and it was all running ridiculously slowly. Then yesterday it said it had installed an update.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by VictoriaF2, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Get Windows 10 to ask before updating

A couple of days ago I was trying to do something online and it was all running ridiculously slowly. Then yesterday it said it had installed an update. This is not the first time this has happened.

I've done a bit of a search, but can only find old articles. Is there a way of getting Win 10 to ask before downloading updates? Or at least notify, so I know to give up trying to do anything else.

To be clear, I don't want to put them off for days or weeks - just so I can chose to get them done when I'm not trying to do something else!

VERY frustrating they've changed it.....

:)

VictoriaF2, Feb 13, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Feb 13, 2020
  3. AsRock Win User
    Windows 10 Update

Well just noticed a pretty large one pop up coming in at 914MB, seems it makes some pretty serous updates.

KB3172985
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172985

This security update includes improvements and fixes in the functionality of Windows 10 Version 1511 and Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 4. It also resolves the following vulnerabilities in Windows:

• 3175677 MS16-094: Security update for secure boot: July 12, 2016
    • 3174060 MS16-093: Security update for Adobe Flash Player: July 12, 2016
    • 3171910 MS16-092: Security update for Windows Kernel: July 12, 2016
    • 3170048 MS16-091: Security update for .Net Framework: July 12, 2016
    • 3171481 MS16-090: Security update for Kernel Mode Drivers: July 12, 2016
    • 3170050 MS16-089: Security update for Windows secure kernel mode: July 12, 2016
    • 3170005 MS16-087: Security update for the Microsoft Print Spooler: July 12, 2016
    • 3169999 MS16-085: Cumulative security update for Microsoft Edge: July 12, 2016
    • 3169991 MS16-084: Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer: July 12, 2016

AsRock, Feb 13, 2020
  4. Nordic Win User

Get Windows 10 to ask before updating

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Feb 13, 2020
Thema:

Get Windows 10 to ask before updating

1. Get Windows 10 to ask before updating - Similar Threads - ask before updating

2. at login screen asks to wait it loads all the Services before getting into Desktop

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    at login screen asks to wait it loads all the Services before getting into Desktop: After I sign into Win 10 I am asked to wait and all of the Services load one by one before the Desktop opens https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/at-login-screen-asks-to-wait-it-loads-all-the/e03773bf-7a08-46bf-b418-6549e1adc605
  3. at login screen asks to wait it loads all the Services before getting into Desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    at login screen asks to wait it loads all the Services before getting into Desktop: After I sign into Win 10 I am asked to wait and all of the Services load one by one before the Desktop opens https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/at-login-screen-asks-to-wait-it-loads-all-the/e03773bf-7a08-46bf-b418-6549e1adc605
  4. Not asking for consent before restarting

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Not asking for consent before restarting: My PC restarted without warning while I was actively using it. It had given me a popup box letting me know an update was available. I told it to not update right now, intending to restart my PC after I finished my work. Then my PC restarted, 5 minutes later, without warning...
  5. ask before opening a drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    ask before opening a drive: Set Windows 10 to ask before opening storage drives. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ask-before-opening-a-drive/765979ba-cde5-4435-88b5-8228a58cd5e7"
  6. Windows 10 asking for password after resetting, which asked for pin all the time before the...

Windows 10 asking for password after resetting, which asked for pin all the time before the...: After resetting my laptop to fix the little slowdown from about 30 minutes of gameplay, it is now asking for a password that I don't even remember putting. There is literally no other option but to enter my username and password, or email and password. I entered everything I...
  7. How to I get a warning before Windows 10 updates are installed?

How to I get a warning before Windows 10 updates are installed?: Recently, I frequently find myself returning to both my home laptop (Windows 10) and my work laptop (Windows 10 professional), only to find all my programs closed. I have since figured out, that this is caused by autoupdates, as is visible from the event viewer. [ATTACH]...
  8. Will Update Ask for Confirm Before Restart?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Will Update Ask for Confirm Before Restart?: I have Win 10 updates set to "Notify to Schedule Restart". Will it ask me to confirm before it restarts (since it seems to schedule them about 3:00 a.m. when I'm asleep). I'd rather my computer not reboot without my ok. Thanks. 17874
  9. Windows 10 GSOD before windows 10 updates

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 GSOD before windows 10 updates: Hello, I have two pc's on build 17074, both of them started to get GSOD's on the same day, I saw that the crash happened just before windows got ready to update to build 17115. In settings, I would see the build preparing to install and then change to pending restart. If I...
  10. Question before getting Win 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Question before getting Win 10: I have a few questions before I get Windows 10. I did ask these questions on the Microsoft forums but I got FAQ Answers and I wasn't satisfied with the information I was given. I'd like information from someone who already has upgraded to Win 10 therefore the information is...