Windows 10: Geting a search item to open so the > is next to my folder.

Discus and support Geting a search item to open so the > is next to my folder. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; [img] below is what I need to see when I look at a folder. : [img] ON some systems when I do a search I can find a folder however I have to jump... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by DonMurray, Oct 17, 2020.

1. DonMurray Win User

Geting a search item to open so the > is next to my folder.

Geting a search item to open so the > is next to my folder. [​IMG]

below is what I need to see when I look at a folder. :

ON some systems when I do a search I can find a folder however I have to jump through many hoops to get it to open up with the > next to it

Is there a registry hack that will force windows to always expose the > when I find a folder in search ?
    When I FIND a folder I need to right click on the folder and have it say -Show FOlder in expaned view.

:)

DonMurray, Oct 17, 2020

2. "Recent Items" list vs Opening a folder for Recent Items

Geting a search item to open so the > is next to my folder. :) Hello all... I am not understanding how MS elected removed the list of recent files and replaced it with opening a folder to see the recent files. That is now a 2 step process because you have to close the folder. I used the "recent items" a lot and I miss it - I'm sure others do ass well.
    The solutions offered here only are partial, they only add the link to the start menu / jump lists, but those still open an actual folder which then has to be closed. If you open multiple files, then you have to close multiple folders. Odd...
    I'm not a programmer - but I'm thinking (hoping!) that someone around here may be knowledgeable enough to find a way to return the actual "Recent Items" list, without opening a folder.
    I'm thinking I may not be alone on this one...
    Thank you!!

sunnyorlando, Oct 17, 2020
  3. enso Win User
    Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

4. Geting a search item to open so the > is next to my folder.

Recovering a deleted email from the deleted items folder or Recycle Bin

Thank you for the suggestion. The only message I find at the bottom of the message list in the deleted items folder is "To find older messages, use Search". My search did not work.

Thanks.

ChandrasekarapuramRSubramaniam, Oct 17, 2020
Thema:

Geting a search item to open so the > is next to my folder.

1. Geting a search item to open so the > is next to my folder. - Similar Threads - Geting search item

2. Image next to my search bar

in Cortana
    Image next to my search bar: how do i remove this image from my search bar?is it some virus or whatit just showed up one day, as if by magicwhen i click the image itself not the search boxthe start menu opens up like thisthe left side has the normal start menu items, but the right side has this thing...
  3. Image next to my search bar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Image next to my search bar: how do i remove this image from my search bar?is it some virus or whatit just showed up one day, as if by magicwhen i click the image itself not the search boxthe start menu opens up like thisthe left side has the normal start menu items, but the right side has this thing...
  4. Image next to my search bar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Image next to my search bar

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  6. Windows start the search bar next to it and settings will not open.

Windows start the search bar next to it and settings will not open.: So my cousin has a hp laptop windows 10 he says about 8 months ago this started to happen his windows start the search bar next to it and settings will not open we have tried basically everything on the internet and nothing helps he cannot open settings in any possible way...
  7. Windows start the search bar next to it and settings will not open.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows start the search bar next to it and settings will not open.: So my cousin has a hp laptop windows 10 he says about 8 months ago this started to happen his windows start the search bar next to it and settings will not open we have tried basically everything on the internet and nothing helps he cannot open settings in any possible way...
  8. Cannot open items like folder or the search bar on my taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot open items like folder or the search bar on my taskbar: I was just on my computer when randomly i couldnt open these features, i tried opening the searh bar with ctrl+s but even that wouldnt open it. Not all the icons on my taskbar are inaccessible i am still able to open things like steam If i press the win button it brings up...
  9. Auto Open Next Item in Windows 10 Mail

Auto Open Next Item in Windows 10 Mail: I have an 8" Windows tablet made by Dell. A while ago, Microsoft added the ability to open the next email item after deleting an email. Now it no longer works in portrait mode. Also, there is no delete button at the top, only archive. I have to click on the three dots to...
  10. Auto Open Next Item in Portrait Mode

in Browsers and Email
    Auto Open Next Item in Portrait Mode: I have an 8" Windows tablet made by Dell. A while ago, Microsoft added the ability to open the next email item after deleting an email. Now it no longer works in portrait mode. Also, there is no delete button at the top, only archive. I have to click on the three dots to see...