Windows 10: Getting a new Windows 10 computer and looking to do a clean install, but have some questions.

Discus and support Getting a new Windows 10 computer and looking to do a clean install, but have some questions. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I've been doing some research about what to do with a new computer, and many are suggesting a clean windows 10 install to remove all the bloatware.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/StrahansToothGap, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Getting a new Windows 10 computer and looking to do a clean install, but have some questions.

I've been doing some research about what to do with a new computer, and many are suggesting a clean windows 10 install to remove all the bloatware. That all seems fine to me, though I have a couple of questions below.

I'm getting an Acer Predator Helios 300; Windows 10

1. Do I need to do the boot from USB or can I just use the setting that is built into Windows 10 to 'Reset this PC'

2. People are recommending to download all drivers and save to a drive before doing this. Is that necessary? And if so, where do I go to get all of them and how do I know where to get them? I am getting an Acer, so I think I can go to the Acer website and put in my product key and download them? But is that all of them? Do I need ones for my graphic card, processor? I've read that people say to get the Nvidia one and Intel ones, so I'm confused on how to get them all.

3. Is installing the drivers again as simple as plugging in the USB? Or do I have to do/run something?

4. Lastly, is there a free AV that people recommend to get? Or is Windows Defender good enough?

Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

submitted by /u/StrahansToothGap
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/StrahansToothGap, Apr 8, 2020
  2. CK011885 Win User

Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

I'm going to be building a new PC on Christmas and want to install Windows 10 on it. I have Windows 10 on my current PC, which I installed upgrading from 8.1 with the files on a USB. How do I go about installing a clean copy of Windows 10 on this new PC? I think I recall something about installing it once makes Microsoft recognize your hardware, but since this will be a PC I'm not sure what steps I need to take. Do I need to go 8.1 -> 10 or is there a method of going directly to 10?

CK011885, Apr 8, 2020
  3. r.h.p Win User
    Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

What's your intended PC specs ??

r.h.p, Apr 8, 2020
  4. kajson Win User

Getting a new Windows 10 computer and looking to do a clean install, but have some questions.

Win 10 clean install question

So I spend the day yesterday installing the computer, using a prepared usb key with windows 10 on it.

I got it all sorted in the end but I'll share my fails anyways so others might learn:

Do not try to do a clean install win with win 10 home N, when you come from a machine with just win 10 home. It won't activate *Wink Getting a new Windows 10 computer and looking to do a clean install, but have some questions. ;) After reinstalling with the right copy, it was already activated right away after the first boot, didn't even have to initialise it.

There hasn't changed a whole lot in making clean install compared to older versions of windows, it's slightly better streamlined, though being asked at 3 different stages to enter a product key when it's not needed during install seems a bit annoying.

Further more it would be lovely if Microsoft finally learned to ask ALL questions regarding preferences updates and whatnot in one go, so you can then go away from your computer and come back to a fully installed/updated system including reboots.. Not impossible I would say.

There's still some little bugs, like when I installed realtek audio drivers, they'd go into an infinite loop asking for reboot and install the driver. And as a PDF reader isn't in the list of standard programs to select, foxitreader keeps saying it is not the default reader for pdf's even though I had said yes to the question 3x. If this fails to get file associations for PDF's I do hope Microsoft will fix this asap.

Thanks for the fast answers earlier guys, it gave me the confidence that all would be well, even when I cocked up the first install with the N version.

kajson, Apr 8, 2020
Thema:

Getting a new Windows 10 computer and looking to do a clean install, but have some questions.

1. Getting a new Windows 10 computer and looking to do a clean install, but have some questions. - Similar Threads - Getting computer looking

2. Question about installing Windows 10 on new computer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about installing Windows 10 on new computer: I'm building a new computer and I want the drive Windows is installed on the be K, and my external SSD to be H. Is this possible? Does Windows have to be C? Do I even need a C drive? Also, if I am able to do this, would the K drive on Windows explorer sidebar show up above...
  3. Clean install question and having trouble with something

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Clean install question and having trouble with something: So i clean installed windows 10 and when i got to the desktop it asked me if i wanted to download armory crate and a lan driver that comes with it, i clciked no because i dont like armory crate becsuse it restarts my pc everytime After a few seconds on the desktop When i...
  4. I just had a clean install on Windows 10, having some questions.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I just had a clean install on Windows 10, having some questions.: I have single SSD on my system, 16 GB ram and core i7 10875h. The latest Windows updates have already been installed. I did disabled defragment for the SSD. Should I disable sysmain, paging file and hibernation for the system? Or anything you can suggest? submitted by...
  5. Installing new motherboard and windows clean install question!

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Installing new motherboard and windows clean install question!: Im installing a new motherboard along with new ram and cpu. Im keeping the same hard drive(s) but i am doing a clean install. My question is will my windows 10 key still work? I heard with new hardware it doesnt activate properly. thanks in advance for any help!...
  6. Clean install question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean install question: About to do a clean install on a PC that has 10 on it and activated. It was a windows 7 machine that had the free 10 offer installed. Will it activate when the clean install is complete? I thought the key was embedded but not sure. When I get to where to install it, can I...
  7. Win 10 clean install on a new SSD - Activation Questions

Win 10 clean install on a new SSD - Activation Questions: Hi, I had a question for the experts here prior to doing a Windows 10 clean install on a new SSD. Background – My 7-year-old PC came with pre-installed Win 7 Home Basic that I upgraded to Win 10 during the free offer. I used Windows 10 for a couple months before the power...
  8. Doing a new Clean install..

Doing a new Clean install..: I'm about to do a clean install of Win10 again once I get my new SSD in the mail. I already have a image of the installation on a DVD from back when Win10 was just being available. Should I make an updated image from the media creation tool or is my old image ok to use?...
  9. New 64bit clean install question

New 64bit clean install question: I would like to do a clean install on my wife's PC, going from Win 10 Pro 32bit to Win 10 Pro 64bit. However, she has multitudes of icons and software installed, making a clean install very difficult to say the least. I would like to copy her desktop, download folder,...
  10. Some questions regarding clean installation of Windows 10

Some questions regarding clean installation of Windows 10: I have looked at this guide: Windows 10 - Clean Install - Windows 10 Forums But I am still a bit confused regarding the part to choose "where you want to install Windows 10" When at the screen showing you the different hard drive partitions, I still have no idea what to...