Windows 10: Getting Access to another network drive

Discus and support Getting Access to another network drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have four computers on my network. I store all my files on one of the computers and the other three were able to access that computer whenever they... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DebNT, Dec 13, 2018.

1. DebNT Win User

Getting Access to another network drive

I have four computers on my network. I store all my files on one of the computers and the other three were able to access that computer whenever they needed to. I just replaced Verizon with Comcast but after they left I realized that I could no longer access the computer with the files and I couldn't even see that computer in the network. I need to get all of them speaking together again. Two of the computers can't even see the other computers on-line. One computer can see the one with the files but says I can't access the files because I don't have permission. All 4 computers are mine but all have different log-ins. Can someone explain how to get the permission necessary to access the one with files and also why the two others can't see the one with the files. Do I have to set up through the IP address by assigning them each a static number?

Thank you.

DebNT

:)

DebNT, Dec 13, 2018

2. KB3185614 Not allowing Network Shared Drive Access

Hi Nivay,

To address your concern, we would like you to check the following:

• After updating, check your Network profile under Network and Sharing Center, make sure that it is set to Private and not Public.
    • If you are using a third party antivirus software, make sure that the
      Network drive
      is set to Trusted.
    • Ping the network drive and check if you're getting a reply.
    • Access the network drive through it's IP address via run field and not through the existing shortcut, then check if it is accessible.
    • If the network drive is accessible via IP address, we would suggest you to re-map the network drive and delete the previous one that has the red X mark.

Thank you.

Stephanie Sal, Dec 13, 2018
  3. DTG1 Win User
    Cannot access shared network drive

Personally, I wouldnt use Everyone. If anyone hacks into you, they have full access to everything and can demolish everything on your raid. I would rather set up accounts and access separately for each person. That way, I know who did all that damage. In the end with a little extra work, I feel more secure by using Authenticated Users.

If this helps.
    step 1 create non-microsoft account and without email and address without admin rights
    step 2 share a drive or folder to specific user account (if Everyone is listed, remove it)
    step 3 set security > add Authenticated Users (if more than 1 account) or add specific users
    step 3a remove Everyone from list
    step 3b uncheck full control and write for all items listed except SYSTEM and Admin account.
    step 4 right click Start > Computer Management > System Tools > Shared Folders > Shares ... to verify settings and change anything else. You can also see the number of connections to each share here.

4. Getting Access to another network drive

Can't access drives on computers on network

I am on a new HP Pavilion laptop running Windows 10. I also have the following on my network, sharing the same domain.

• Laptop running Windows 7
    • Laptop running Windows 10
    • Desktop running Windows XP
    • HP Deskjet printer

I can see the laptops and the printer on the network, and I can access and use the printer. But I cannot access the laptop drives. I am asked for the name and password for each device, but when entered, they are not accepted

What suggestions can you offer?

SonoRimaggio, Dec 13, 2018
Thema:

Getting Access to another network drive

1. Getting Access to another network drive - Similar Threads - Getting Access another

2. You can not access another computer on the Network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    You can not access another computer on the Network: Home networrk connects a laptop windows 10 to new desktop Windows 11. The icons show up under NETWORK, but when i use laptop to connnect to the new desktop i get message, "Does not have permission to access \\Dell-3910." Any suggestions?...
  3. You can not access another computer on the Network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    You can not access another computer on the Network: Home networrk connects a laptop windows 10 to new desktop Windows 11. The icons show up under NETWORK, but when i use laptop to connnect to the new desktop i get message, "Does not have permission to access \\Dell-3910." Any suggestions?...
  4. Can't Access Shared Drive On Another Computer on Same Network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't Access Shared Drive On Another Computer on Same Network: I'm trying to share a Drive on my laptop Win11 Home through my Network so my desktop Win 11 Pro can rename files and do some file management on it. Both are on the same network and what I've done so far is mess around with settings to the point where I can see the other...
  5. Can't Access Shared Drive On Another Computer on Same Network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't Access Shared Drive On Another Computer on Same Network: I'm trying to share a Drive on my laptop Win11 Home through my Network so my desktop Win 11 Pro can rename files and do some file management on it. Both are on the same network and what I've done so far is mess around with settings to the point where I can see the other...
  6. network access to another computer

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    network access to another computer: Trying to access drives on an old computer through my network, I'm told that I don't have permission to access the specific folder on the remote device. It says to contact my network administrator to request access. Since I am the network administrator, how do I give access...
  7. Access network drive after autologin with another user not possible

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Access network drive after autologin with another user not possible: Hello together, I´ve got the following problem: The PC I´m talking about is configured with a general autologon user. Is the user logged in, he has the possibility to connect to a network drive to access his specific files with the personal user, which are stored on the...
  8. How do I know the network credentials when accessing another network drive?

How do I know the network credentials when accessing another network drive?: [ATTACH] I tried going to Credential manager and there are a lot of things written under Generic Credentials. I don't know which credentials should I use. I want to know the username and password.I know I can just turn of password protection but I still want to know how to...
  9. permission to access files on another network computer

permission to access files on another network computer: How do I get permission to access files on another network computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/permission-to-access-files-on-another-network/e5166044-cbc5-4c16-9955-4a8100372113
  10. How to get access to hidden files on another drive after reformat

in Windows 10 Support
    How to get access to hidden files on another drive after reformat: So I had some hidden files (media) on another drive, I reformated windows and now the hidden files wont open. Are they lost for good or is there some way I may unlock them to open! (WP10) Thanks alot! 25660