Windows 10: Getting almost Native performance on W10 VM running on KVM

Discus and support Getting almost Native performance on W10 VM running on KVM in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi folks I've often mentioned using passthru on things like graphics and network cards to squeeze the maximum performance of VM's - particularly... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Jan 1, 2021.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Getting almost Native performance on W10 VM running on KVM

Hi folks

I've often mentioned using passthru on things like graphics and network cards to squeeze the maximum performance of VM's - particularly Windows VM's.

I refer you to this excellent article which explains some of the principles involved (although on a KVM Host there's no reason why the principles shouldn't be used on HYPER-V as a Host). Basically using the Native OS drivers essentially on "almost Bare metal" --- the HYPERVISOR whatever one you use is really a tiny OS so the overhead is essentially very near ZERO.

Running Windows 10 on Linux using KVM with VGA Passthrough - Heiko's Blog

anyway enjoy !! Nice reading if you are in a "Lockdown" so can't go out boozing / celebrating this New years eve.

Have a good (and SAFE) new year everyone --I'm sure 2021 will be much better than 2020 !!!

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jan 1, 2021
  2. jimbo45 Win User

KVM Host --W10 VM with HYPER -V running another VM (Nesting)

Hi there.

It seems some CPU's will handle HYPER-V in a VM running on a Host where a HYPERVISOR (KVM in this case) is already running.
    One needs to make a few mods otherwise booting up the VM running UNDER the HYPER-V (the 2nd level VM) will freeze.

I'm currently playing with this -- it looks like some modules from QEMU need to be updated -- and one needs to use IOMMU to get any sort of decent I/O throughput - even on SSD's.

I'll post back when I've got some better results -- note I haven't a CLUE about AMD CPU's . I think also getting USB and SOUND on to the second level VM could be a problem. PCI passthru is pretty easy from the KVM Host to the Windows VM (ist level) but passing that to the second level VM is proving somewhat problematical.

(HOST --CENTOS 7 with KVM, ist level VM W10 pro with HYPER-V enabled, second level VM W7 ultimate -- all x-64 machines).

I believe also performance can be improved by switching from Full virtualisation to "Para virtualision" on the guests -- easily enough done with settings in KVM - but then passthru gets a bit ????.

Anyway I've got some time to play with all this --when I'm done I'll post a guide. It should work also for most other common Linux distros capable of running KVM.

Tip - don't use the libvirt manager GUI as a console for your VM's as once in Full screen you can't always get back to Windowed mode -- might be my mouse etc. Use RDP / VNC instead -- no problem connecting to VM's even if you are running the VM's on your local machine.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 1, 2021
  3. KVM Host --W10 VM with HYPER -V running another VM (Nesting)

Hi,

I would also like to try this on Ubuntu 14.04
    Can you please let me know how to get it working.
    You mentioned that some modules of QEMU needs to be updated.
    Any details on how to get this working will be helpful

Regards,
    Sagar

sagarnikam, Jan 1, 2021
  4. jimbo45 Win User

KVM - Windows 10 VM running with IE

Hi there

Here's another VM running under KVM -- W10 showing IE running on it.

Getting almost Native performance on W10 VM running on KVM [​IMG]

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 1, 2021
Thema:

1. Getting almost Native performance on W10 VM running on KVM - Similar Threads - Getting almost Native

2. capture WIM image of KVM W10 VM for convert to physical (V2P)

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    capture WIM image of KVM W10 VM for convert to physical (V2P): Hi folks @Hopachi one for you as well to try out !!! I've got a great running W10 KVM virtual machine running with all the software working etc -- so I would like to capture the WIM image via DISM. Also I'd like all the software etc on a Windows ISO so I don't have to...
  3. Convert VMWare / Vbox VM's to KVM

Convert VMWare / Vbox VM's to KVM: Hi folks If you want to convert VMWare VM's or VBOX ones to KVM it's a fairly straight forward but longish process. depending on the size of the original VM's. The Virtual disk though must be in a single vdmk image so if you have several vdmk files (most people do not...
  4. W10 VM on W2K19 VM on KVM Host !! nested VM's

W10 VM on W2K19 VM on KVM Host !! nested VM's: Hi folks So far got HYPER-V to run on a Virtual machine creating a lower level W10 VM - The W2K19 machine is itself a VM running on under KVM/QEMU So far only got Gen 1 to work -- with Gen 2 machine starts but no video - will look at that later but here's the Gen 1 VM So...
  5. Modern VM's are these days so efficient - almost Native speed

Modern VM's are these days so efficient - almost Native speed: Hi folks There's no reason these days unless you have really eseoteric high performance gaming requirements to be afraid of using VM's for almost anything these days. Here's a W10 VM (latest Dev insider build) using a Hardware capture Video device running as a VM Workstation...
  6. W10 VM Bridged networking QEMU/KVM (External Switch)

W10 VM Bridged networking QEMU/KVM (External Switch): Hi folks Really SIMPLE way of getting Bridged networking to work in QEMU KVM for proper VM access to rest of your LAN -- equivalent to external switch in HYPER-V Note you need to do this after re-boot from host each time --you can set a script etc for permanence but as I...
  7. Macrium restore of a QUEMU / KVM W10 VM

Macrium restore of a QUEMU / KVM W10 VM: Hi folks One of the great things with QEMU/KVM VM's is that you can boot from physical devices INSIDE THE VM (and not just ISO's)-- I needed to restore a W10 VM as I'd hosed it up with some silly networking parameter errors etc. With the latest kernels you can Hot plug USB...
  8. Future of VM's - KVM, Windows and Vmware

Future of VM's - KVM, Windows and Vmware: Hi Folks I thought this is a reasoned (for once) and decently written informative article --not a sales pitch that we so often get from "Pseudo Technical" articles written in such places like PC magazine etc. Anyway enjoy -- you don't have to agree with it but I found...
  9. KVM Host --W10 VM with HYPER -V running another VM (Nesting)

KVM Host --W10 VM with HYPER -V running another VM (Nesting): Hi there. It seems some CPU's will handle HYPER-V in a VM running on a Host where a HYPERVISOR (KVM in this case) is already running. One needs to make a few mods otherwise booting up the VM running UNDER the HYPER-V (the 2nd level VM) will freeze. I'm currently...
  10. KVM - Windows 10 VM running with IE

KVM - Windows 10 VM running with IE: Hi there Here's another VM running under KVM -- W10 showing IE running on it. [img] Cheers jimbo 47655