Windows 10: Getting bitlocker to accept my valid passwords

Discus and support Getting bitlocker to accept my valid passwords in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I am not sure if this is the right place to post bitlocker issues but I was not able to find any forum titled encryption apps or similars so I have... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by edray, Jun 6, 2018.

1. edray Win User

Getting bitlocker to accept my valid passwords

I am not sure if this is the right place to post bitlocker issues but I was not able to find any forum titled encryption apps or similars so I have placed it here
    ======================================================
    I have attempted to use BitLocker to encrypt a bootable win 10 pro (latest anniversary edition ver) drive on numerous occasions with a NON TPM group policy setup (“Require additional authentication at startup” setting has been enabled and the “allow BitLocker without a compatible TPM” option has been selected) which uses a USB drive or a password for drive entry after encryption is successful.

Unfortunately, I can never get to encrypt the drive because Bitlocker keeps on saying “incorrect password“ regardless of what VALID (and verified matched) password I setup with BitLocker. I have used 8 or more characters which included upper case chars, lowercase chars, numeric digits and even included non-alphanumeric chars like “$” etc.

I have also attempted very simple password cases like only using lower case chars and numbers etc. all without success. So basically, every conceivable valid password combination has been attempted.

These distinct simple and complex password iterations have been aligned with the following group policy selected options in order to make them acceptable to the Bitlocker system:

Within the group policy folders, I have set up the password policy for an operating system drive for a minimum length of 8 chars and have executed ALL the following distinct policy settings combinations:

[1] Enabled the “configure use of passwords for operating system drives” setting and have set up the password complexity setting to be “Do not allow password complexity”.

[2] Did not configure the password policy.

[3] Disabled the “configure use of passwords for operating system drives” setting.

I determined that executing any of the three cases above causes the “Password must meet complexity requirements” setting to be ignored EVEN if enabled. Therefore cases [1] through [3] cover “simple” password entry scenarios like entering only 8 lower case chars etc.

[4] Enabled the “configure use of passwords for operating system drives” setting and set up the password complexity setting to be “allow password complexity” in a system without domain controllers (my single user PC system). In this case, the complexity of the password requirement format is dependent on the whether the “password must meet complexity requirements” is enabled or not.

In case [4] when the “password must meet complexity requirements” setting was enabled the Bitlocker system prompted to me to enter more complex password entries lower case chars and upper case chars, numerical digits and non-alphabetic char combinations (three out of the four categories are required)

[5] The selection of the password complexity setting to “Require password complexity” was not a valid choice because I am on a single user PC system and therefore there are NO domain controllers to interface. Attempting this just yields a Bitlocker “no domain controllers complaint” at the point one is setting their password etc.

Therefore, regardless of any or all of the group policy combinations previously specified and used in conjunction with my related valid password entries, Bitlocker never gets to the encryption stage because it ALWAYS states “INCORRECT PASSWORD”.

I am hoping someone else has previously run into this very annoying case when setting up Bitlocker for a whole operating system drive encryption and can give me some guidance for resolution since in this password rejection state, you pretty much are going nowhere with Bitlocker.

I have already spent over six hours on this with enormous amounts of google searches leading nowhere.

My last closing “thinking out loud” comment at this point is,

[1] is there the possibility of an enabled default BitLocker group policy that precludes all and any valid passwords to be ignored or rejected by Bitlocker that needs to be disabled?

[2] Is there a Bitlocker related registry key setting that is precluding all valid passwords from being accepted by Bitlocker that needs to be modified?

Thanks ahead for any guidance on this matter.

:)

edray, Jun 6, 2018

2. why doesn't my bitlocker make me type a password?

Hi,

I understand that you have issue with Bitlocker password. I will certainly assist you with this.

Please provide us below details for better assistance,

• Is your Bitlocker enabled on your system?

• Have you made any changes on your system before this issue?

Please follow these steps and check if that helps.

Method 1: I suggest you to start the BitLocker Device Encryption service.

Follow the below steps:

1. Press Windows key + R from the Keyboard.

2. Type services.msc and hit Enter.

3. Search for BitLocker Device Encryption service.

4. Double click on BitLocker Device Encryption service and click on Start button.

5. Click on the dropdown list and set the Startup type to Automatic.

If the issue persists then change the password and change the settings on how drive is unlocked at startup.

Hope it will fix your issue. Please let us know the status of your issue.

Thank You.

Krishna Priya V, Jun 8, 2018
  3. Ernie San Win User
    changing bitlocker password, Windows 10

Hello Keith,

We suggest to change it from Control Panel. You may follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Select Control Panel.
    • Click BitLocker Drive Encryption.
    • Click Unlock drive.
    • Type your present password and click Unlock.
    • The drive will be unlocked and you will notice more links on the right of that particular unlocked drive, click
      Change password.
    • Now, you may type your Old password, New password and Confirm new password.
    • Click Change password.
    Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Ernie San, Jun 8, 2018
Thema:

Getting bitlocker to accept my valid passwords

1. Getting bitlocker to accept my valid passwords - Similar Threads - Getting bitlocker accept

2. A few select sites sites will not accept a valid password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A few select sites sites will not accept a valid password: I have a problem with a few selects sites that render the entered password as invalid although the password is correct. Theses same sites will accept the password on another PC with no problems. I have tried browsers Bing, Edge and Firefox with no results and I believe this...
  3. A few select sites sites will not accept a valid password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    A few select sites sites will not accept a valid password: I have a problem with a few selects sites that render the entered password as invalid although the password is correct. Theses same sites will accept the password on another PC with no problems. I have tried browsers Bing, Edge and Firefox with no results and I believe this...
  4. Windows 11 SIGN IN REQUIRED prompt does not accept my valid password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 SIGN IN REQUIRED prompt does not accept my valid password: Dell replaced my motherboard which involved tweaking the BIOS. When it came back up I got a message from Windows 11 that says SIGN IN REQUIRED. When I go through the sign in process it tells me that my password is not correct even though it certainly is as I use it without...
  5. Windows 11 SIGN IN REQUIRED prompt does not accept my valid password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 SIGN IN REQUIRED prompt does not accept my valid password: Dell replaced my motherboard which involved tweaking the BIOS. When it came back up I got a message from Windows 11 that says SIGN IN REQUIRED. When I go through the sign in process it tells me that my password is not correct even though it certainly is as I use it without...
  6. Bitlocker is no longer accepting the password

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker is no longer accepting the password: My Win-10 laptop was booting up slowly and I did something stupid - I powered it down. There wasn't an update during the night before and I didn't notice one upon boot, though I got distracted for maybe 15 seconds. Upon the reboot, Bitlocker recognized my password but the...
  7. BitLocker not accepting Password and Recovery Key which are correct.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    BitLocker not accepting Password and Recovery Key which are correct.: I was removing bit locker password by decrypting it but suddenly it starts not responding and program closed then I restart my pc and try to unlock external hard drive but when I enter correct password and recovery key it says "Password entered is incorrect." What to do...
  8. Bitlocker Not Accepting password after System Format

Bitlocker Not Accepting password after System Format: Hello, I was having windows 10 on my Dell laptop and there were bitlocker password on my drives. However Iformatted my OS without unlocking the drives. And now I installed windows 10 pro, and now I am unable to unlock the drives which were protected by bitlocker. Is there...
  9. OneDrive not accepting my passwords?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive not accepting my passwords?: I use my OneDrive account across my phone, laptop, and desktop. I constantly have to change the password because OneDrive keeps signing me out and making me sign back in again whenever I switch from one device to the other. But whenever I change the password for my Microsoft...
  10. BitLocker metadata is not valid

BitLocker metadata is not valid: Dear TenForums, I have a problem with my encrypted 128GB SDcard. First of all I tried to unlock it and check automatic unlock for my computer. I did and SDcard was unlocked successfully. But next time when I switched computer on, I had to unlock SDcard again. I went to...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bitlocker not accepting password

2. bitlocker wont accept password to encrypt

3. bitlocker wont accept my password

4. bitlocker wont accept input,
  5. bitlocker configure use of passwords for operating system drives