Windows 10: Getting BSOD with a "stopcode: Reference_By_Pointer" when playing a specific Game

Discus and support Getting BSOD with a "stopcode: Reference_By_Pointer" when playing a specific Game in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; For some reason, i keep getting BSOD with the stopcode of "Reference_By_Pointer" when playing Phantasy Star Online 2 it doesn't happen with anything... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by -Kieffer-, Feb 25, 2021.

1. -Kieffer- Win User

Getting BSOD with a "stopcode: Reference_By_Pointer" when playing a specific Game

For some reason, i keep getting BSOD with the stopcode of "Reference_By_Pointer" when playing Phantasy Star Online 2
    it doesn't happen with anything else, i can play other games, watch movies, play music, browse the internet just fine, but whenever i try to play the game, few minutes later, a BSOD happens, i did most possible solutions like, making sure my windows is up to date, firewall not blocking anything regarding the game, etc.

i contacted the game's support and at the moment they just gave me a basic troubleshooting guide same as what i did above, it's the first time that i encountered an application/game that can cause a BSOD, i just wanna know what really causes this thing to happen, i don't have a debugger, can anyone please help me narrow down the problem, Thanks!

here's a link to my Minidump files
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!AknmstHjzmEZgYlWLshX_f7ogWuczw?e=FD1cwM

:)

-Kieffer-, Feb 25, 2021

2. BSOD - Happens only during gaming

I am encountering BSOD whenever i tries to play any game on my computer for >1minute.

The error i encountered was as follow, not limited to:

• BAD_POOL_HEADER
    • IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    • PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
    • VIDEO_MEMORY_MANAGEMENT_INTERNAL
    • REFERENCE_BY_POINTER

My Minidump, MSinfo32 is as linked:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1OmgNyA8A2n8UbGMeXF6F_DRVw2uJNWxj?usp=sharing

Im using Asus Z170 Pro Gaming MB, i5 6600k and 8gb kingston ddr4 ram. 2 Samsung Evo 256gb SSD and 1 WD Hard Disk.

Please help with the error.

Min Feng Chan, Feb 25, 2021
  3. BSOD When playing games

Hi Jackson,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

Please share the information requested below:

• Does the BSOD occur while playing a particular game?
    • Is the game downloaded from Windows Store?

I suggest you to update the Graphic Card drivers by following the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Press Windows key + X, select Device Manager.
    • Expand Display Adapters.
    • Right click on the driver and select Update Driver Software.
    • Follow the on-screen prompts to update.

Refer the link below for more information:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/troubleshoot-blue-screen-errors

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Feb 25, 2021
  4. empathicc Win User

Getting BSOD with a "stopcode: Reference_By_Pointer" when playing a specific Game

BSoD REFERENCE_BY_POINTER & SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

Hello,

Recently I've been getting quite a lot of bluescreens while playing games and it has become quite a problem for me. Since I'm not really experienced with software issues, I'd like to ask for help with this one.

Basically while playing a game it will freeze from time to time and stutter until a certain point where i reach a bluescreen. I've used BlueScreenView to see what's causing the issue and I've gathered information about these 4 BSoD's:

1st - REFERENCE_BY_POINTER caused by driver: ntoskrnl.exe (bug check code 0x00000018)

2nd - SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION caused by driver: ntoskrnl.exe
    and dxgkrnl.sys (0x0000003b)

3rd - SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION caused by driver: ntoskrnl.exe
    and win32kfull.sys (0x0000003b)

4th - REFERENCE_BY_POINTER caused by driver: ntoskrnl.exe (0x00000018)

If there is a need of sending the dumps, please tell me and i will try my best to deliver them.

My question is, is there any solution to the following bluescreens?

Thank you in advance.

empathicc, Feb 25, 2021
Thema:

1. Getting BSOD with a "stopcode: Reference_By_Pointer" when playing a specific Game - Similar Threads - Getting BSOD stopcode

2. BSOD when playing one specific game

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD when playing one specific game: I have recurring BSOD when playing a specific game. All other games run fine but this either just crashes on its own or crashes my entire pc.Here is a link to minidump files if someone who knows more can take a look.https://easyupload.io/8madw9...
  3. BSOD when playing one specific game

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD when playing one specific game: I have recurring BSOD when playing a specific game. All other games run fine but this either just crashes on its own or crashes my entire pc.Here is a link to minidump files if someone who knows more can take a look.https://easyupload.io/8madw9...
  4. Getting BSODs When Playing a Specific Game

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Getting BSODs When Playing a Specific Game: Starting last week I began to get BSODs seemingly out of nowhere when playing a game called The Crew 2. I began to experience blue screens almost every time I played that game. This issue has never happened before and I haven't updated Windows or any drivers prior to this. I...
  5. Getting BSODs When Playing a Specific Game

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Getting BSODs When Playing a Specific Game: Starting last week I began to get BSODs seemingly out of nowhere when playing a game called The Crew 2. I began to experience blue screens almost every time I played that game. This issue has never happened before and I haven't updated Windows or any drivers prior to this. I...
  6. Getting BSODs When Playing a Specific Game

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Stopcode error - reference_by_pointer

Stopcode error - reference_by_pointer: Hi, I am constantly having the blue screen pop up with "reference_by_pointer" shown as the error. I've taken a dump of files today https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiYXtKl1ldyTrF5aRN1xpeOXyYn7?e=jdcS8J Can anyone please advise the issue and solution based on info in these files? Thanks!...
  8. Get BSOD when playing games

Get BSOD when playing games: i get BSOD when playing Dead by Daylight for around 20 minutes and on other games, on some other games like Left 4 Dead i get it like once a month so it doesn't bother me that much but on other games it does.i tried to fix it before but it didn't work i did memtest86 once...
  9. stopcode REFERENCE_BY_POINTER

stopcode REFERENCE_BY_POINTER: Since yesterday I have been getting a lot of BSODs, with stopcode REFERENCE_BY_POINTER. I haven't installed anything new. It happens sometimes as soon as I log in, with no application running. Other times I can run apps and it won't happen for several minutes or longer....
  10. BSOD frequently, specifically when playing games

BSOD frequently, specifically when playing games: Hey, I've been running windows 10 since April this year (on technical preview mostly) I've found that when I'm playing games (Fifa 15, Minecraft, Rocket League, Civilisation V etc) that my PC bluescreens so often, I'm at my wits end haha I'll leave this zipped file that...