Windows 10: Getting error message when Win 10 starts on external HD

Discus and support Getting error message when Win 10 starts on external HD in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hope I'm in the right place for this. I've had Win 10 now for about a week and I've had some glitches but I've found solutions to them. However, for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by xpac5896, Aug 25, 2015.

1. xpac5896 Win User

Getting error message when Win 10 starts on external HD

Hope I'm in the right place for this.
    I've had Win 10 now for about a week and I've had some glitches but I've found solutions to them. However, for the past 3 days I'm getting an error message when Win 10 starts about my Recycle Bin on my external hard drive, which is a MyBook by WD, 3tb USB 3.0. I've been getting a message that "The Recycle Bin on J:\ is corrupted. Do you want to empty the Recycle Bin for this drive?". I've clicked yes and still each time I start the computer I get the same message. I've done Properties>Disk Cleanup and it shows that there is 0 bytes in the Recycle Bin. I have no clue as to why I'm getting this message or even how to fix it. Can anyone help with this? I would greatly appreciate it.

:)

xpac5896, Aug 25, 2015
  2. mysterio2 Win User

Error failed external Hard drive after replacing the internal hdd

I've had an external hd for a couple years now, and back up important files when necessary. So I had an internal hd crash, replaced it, and had the shop that did the work reload Win 10 on the system. Now the 'new' computer is telling me that the external
    hd, that worked fine under Win 7 and Win 10 on the old, failed hd, need formatting before use. And I tried hooking the external hd up to 2 laptops, one with Win 7 and one with Win 10, and same results. This doesn't make sense to me, as the external hd worked
    just fine before the internal hd crash. So even though I've backed up important files externally, I have the sinking feeling I've lost everything on that ext hd. Any help for this situation?

hard drive crash / external hard drive question- Original Title

mysterio2, Aug 25, 2015
  3. Hard drive not recognized Windows 10

Vanessa - it was a W 10 USB driver problem and when I was finally able to get an error message in one port for an external HD I let the W 10 "troubleshooter" correct it. Thanks.

Curtis

CurtisKruer, Aug 25, 2015
  4. Snakeyes Win User

With your MyBook plugged in, right click on the recycle bin on your desktop and click on properties. You will see the recycle bins and "Space Available" for each drive including your MyBook. Try changing the space available or alternatively the settings for that particular selection.

Snakeyes, Aug 26, 2015
  5. xpac5896 Win User
    Snakeyes,I have tried your suggestion and so far it's working. I have a 2 tb HD and reduced my 3 tb to the size of the 2 tb and so far it's working. I'm wondering if you can do the same in 10 as you can in 7? That is to delete the Recycle Bin on the hd and go from there. I know that if you delete a file or files on the hd it will create the recycle bin and thus reset the recycle bin and hopefully not create the error message.

xpac5896, Aug 29, 2015
  6. Snakeyes Win User
    It should work, but I would not risk it, especially if the system is working fine.

Snakeyes, Aug 29, 2015
  7. xpac5896 Win User
    Seeing as how 10 is fairly new and knowing that glitches are inevitable, I'm just guessing that in time it will work itself out, nothing is perfect so we'll just have to keep an eye on this and see what happens. In the meantime I thank you for your help.

xpac5896, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Getting error message when Win 10 starts on external HD - Similar Threads - Getting error message

2. Error message when starting Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error message when starting Windows: Every time I start the PC, I get that can't find: C:WINDOWS\system\StartupCheck.vbsCan I find it somewhere and download it again? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-message-when-starting-windows/4195a55a-3002-442e-90f0-9535c478baa5
  3. Error message when starting Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Error message when starting Windows: Every time I start the PC, I get that can't find: C:WINDOWS\system\StartupCheck.vbsCan I find it somewhere and download it again? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-message-when-starting-windows/4195a55a-3002-442e-90f0-9535c478baa5
  4. Error message when starting Windows

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Getting External HD to work in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Getting External HD to work in Windows 10: How can we use Windows 10 to make a backup of an external hard drive? I have a Western Digital 1TB External Hard Drive and wish to back this up regularly, to another Western Digital 1TB External Hard Drive, so that I always have an identical copy of the same Hard Drive. Is...
  6. Getting windows error messages when trying to install win 10 on new pc

Getting windows error messages when trying to install win 10 on new pc: I'm trying to install windows on a new PC I'm building but I keep getting error messages either I get: "System thread exception not handled" Or I get: "Irql not less or equal" I've removed the graphics card tried a different ssd, I'm using a flash drive that I made with...
  7. win 10 will not recognize external HD/storage devices....

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    win 10 will not recognize external HD/storage devices....: so trying my external drives on new win 10 machine. both devices worked fine on win 7, every other device I use via this usb connection also work fine. so how can I get win 10 to work fine? I see one of the devices is listed in device manager but cannot get it to actually...
  8. error message when coping to external drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    error message when coping to external drive: I get this error message when copying from my OneDrive folder to an external drive, the external drive has plenty of free space. i'm using 176gb of 1tb of my OneDrive space. [ATTACH]...
  9. Windows 10 Backup to External HD Error

Windows 10 Backup to External HD Error: When using Windows 10 (thru the Control Panel Security feature backup and restore) and trying to create a backup of my computer to an external HD I get the following error message: The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable. Details:Access is denied. Error Code:...
  10. Message at start up Win 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Message at start up Win 10: Hi Each time my six or seven month old laptop running Win 10 starts up the following message is displayed. See the screenshot attached. It received an automatic Win 10 major upgrade recently which is when I believe the message started to appear. Is there anything I can do...