Windows 10: Getting more search results than specified in the quoted phrase.

Discus and support Getting more search results than specified in the quoted phrase. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; When I attempt to use quotes around my name (Berardis) in a search, I get results that drop the s, ie, Berardi. Why is that and how can I get just the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by berardis, Dec 19, 2018.

1. berardis Win User

Getting more search results than specified in the quoted phrase.

When I attempt to use quotes around my name (Berardis) in a search, I get results that drop the s, ie, Berardi. Why is that and how can I get just the results with the "s".

:)

berardis, Dec 19, 2018

2. Searching for Phrase in File Explorer

I'm not having a problem searching in folders of Excel and Word documents for single words like "word".

My problem is searching through Excel and Word documents in a folder for a phrase like ""how can I search for a phrase".

I'm getting results including individual words in the phrase like "how" or "I" but not the exact phrase.

Dan9Baldwin, Dec 19, 2018
  3. varxtis Win User
    Search query too narrow. "Exact word/phrase" only and not "Contains"

Recently I was getting confused and frustrate that files I were searching for weren't being included in the search results for my queries. It seems that the search parameters are restricted to "Exact word/phrase" and not "Contains.

Example: search "Broad", comes up fine
    Search "road", nothing comes up.

In windows 7, I was able to search for a word and the search parameters would include files that "contains" the word in its name and even "contains" the word in a document.

In windows 10, it seems to be completely restricted to.

Someone at Microsoft Forums suggested Windows search troubleshooter (acknowledging that there is a problem), but the troubleshooting came up with nothing.

varxtis, Dec 19, 2018
  4. Getting more search results than specified in the quoted phrase.

Phrase search using File Explorer

Hi Yoshiko,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

To assist you better, do let us know if you are trying to locate the phrase from a word document.

Please note that the search bar in file explorer will only look for folders and files and not for contents.

If it is a word document, I would suggest you to try the steps below and check if it helps:

1. Open the document/file.

2. Press Ctrl + F to enable search option.

3. Type the phrase or word you are looking for without the quotes.

4. Check if you are able to locate what you are searching for.

Do let us know if this works. We will be glad to help if you need further assistance.

Wungraileng Vashi, Dec 19, 2018
Thema:

Getting more search results than specified in the quoted phrase.

1. Getting more search results than specified in the quoted phrase. - Similar Threads - Getting more search

2. Getting Help For Being Charged More Than Once

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Getting Help For Being Charged More Than Once: I purchased an app on the Microsoft store and was billed more than once for it. How can I contact support and speak to a real person about my issue. The automated reply tells me to go the the website and the website is not helpful. How can I find help ?...
  3. Getting Help For Being Charged More Than Once

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Getting Help For Being Charged More Than Once: I purchased an app on the Microsoft store and was billed more than once for it. How can I contact support and speak to a real person about my issue. The automated reply tells me to go the the website and the website is not helpful. How can I find help ?...
  4. Can't type more than one word in the search box

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't type more than one word in the search box: Hi all, Like the title said, after the lastest update I can't type more than one word in the search bar, Windows blocks there. And I can't undo the word also. It's getting annoying for me. Anyone knows how to fix it? Thanks! submitted by /u/PresqueSchierke [link]...
  5. Search Results

in Windows 10 Support
    Search Results: When I search my Documents directory, I often get results from .css, .js etc when really all I want are folders, .html, .pdf How to I stop the .css, .js files appearing in the search results? I know I can apply filters afterwards but having to do so when all I want to do...
  6. Not getting web results in Search or Start Menu search

in Cortana
    Not getting web results in Search or Start Menu search: Hi; on some Windows 10 installations (and indeed, even on my other user account), I get web search results when I press the Start key on my keyboard and then type into the search box. For example, "32 F in C" will yield 0° C. This isn't happening on one of my accounts. As...
  7. Searching more than one word in content does not display search results

in Cortana
    Searching more than one word in content does not display search results: Hi all, When searching for file names, results are displayed immediately. Performing a content search with one word only also works as expected. If I type two or more words which are containing in my files there are no results. My files are indexed and for both .doc and...
  8. Deep learning helping to make Bing search results more intelligent

in Windows 10 News
    Deep learning helping to make Bing search results more intelligent: Deep learning is helping to make Bing’s search results more intelligent. Here’s a peek behind the curtain of how we’re applying some of these techniques. Last week, I noticed there were dates printed on my soda cans and I wanted to know what they referred to - sell by dates,...
  9. How to get out of Explorer Search results?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to get out of Explorer Search results?: Search for something in Explorer and no matter where you click around the path stays stuck at (for example) Search results in Photos > Found folder Open a subfolder and it stays at Search results in Photos > Found folder > Subfolder Right click and open in new window...
  10. Google making search results more local and relevant

in Windows 10 News
    Google making search results more local and relevant: When you’re searching on Google, we aim to provide the most useful results for your query. Today, around one in five searches on Google is related to location, so providing locally relevant search results is an essential part of serving you the most accurate information....