Windows 10: Getting my original product key from Microsoft

Discus and support Getting my original product key from Microsoft in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; My computer was “fried” after a power surge along with my “C-Drive”. I lost my certified copy of Windows 10 Pro which I upgraded from the internet... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by C Ted Lemings, Sep 27, 2019.

1. Getting my original product key from Microsoft

My computer was “fried” after a power surge along with my “C-Drive”. I lost my certified copy of Windows 10 Pro which I upgraded from the internet years ago (when it first came online free). I’ve tried every way possible to retrieve the key from my backup without success. I had to purchase a new computer which came with an unregistered copy of Windows 10 Home, for some reason and now I’m being asked to purchase a new product key for $120 dollars. Is there any way I can get a copy of my original product key for that installation from Microsoft since my copy was validated and registered.

:)

C Ted Lemings, Sep 27, 2019

2. I lost my original MS Insider Product Key for Windows 10 Help!

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated.

In order to help you better, could you please confirm a couple of things:

• What do you mean by Windows 10 product key?
    • Are you referring to previous Windows key?
    • From where did you purchase the product key?
    If the operating system was preinstalled (OEM) then I suggest you to contact the manufacturer or if you have purchased the product key from retail store like Microsoft store or from any store I suggest you to contact them to get the Original Windows product
    key only then we can activate the Windows 10.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Sep 27, 2019
  3. Activate windows 10 after re-installing (I have lost my product key)

I own a Lenovo T430 laptop. In 2017, I installed Windows 10 using my original Windows 7 product key. Unfortunately, I cannot find that product key anymore. I need to re-install windows 10. Will it be automatically activated after the installation, if I skip the step of asking the product key during the installation?

In my opinion, I believe that my laptop will have a digital entitlement stored on the Microsoft Activation Servers and this will not be a problem. Is that true?

If not, please suggest me a solution or a workaround.

Kushan Randima, Sep 27, 2019
  4. Getting my original product key from Microsoft

Check Whether The Product Key Is Original Or Not.

Hi Justin,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We cannot tell whether your Windows License is original or fake. For information about how to tell if your copy of Windows is genuine Microsoft software, you may refer
    How to tell page.

A Genuine Microsoft Label (GML) should be found on new devices that:

• Have been preinstalled with or licensed for Pro editions of Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.
    • Have been preinstalled with or licensed for Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 shipping into China (with the exception of Hong Kong and Macau).
    • Are licensed for a Windows Pro product, but have been pre-installed with a Windows 7 Professional downgrade. These devices are licensed for Windows 8 Pro but not pre-installed with Windows 8 Pro. These devices would include a GML.

The GML label is used to help users identify the edition of Windows preinstalled on a device and is also an indicator of whether the device is preinstalled with or licensed for genuine Windows. Most commonly the label is found on the back or bottom
    of the device.

If you're having a problem with activation, see Activation in Windows 10.

If you're getting an activation error, see Get help with Windows activation
    errors

If your product key is scratched, blurred, or otherwise unusable, contact the retailer who sold you the product. If you aren’t able to get help from your retailer or have already tried and couldn't get a working key, I suggest you to
    Contact Microsoft Support and they will assist you with this issue.

Also, I suggest you to please don’t share your Windows Product Key anywhere in Microsoft Community Forums.

Shafeeq_Khan, Sep 27, 2019
Thema:

Getting my original product key from Microsoft

1. Getting my original product key from Microsoft - Similar Threads - Getting original product

2. How do i get my original product key back

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do i get my original product key back: Apparently you can buy cheaper product keys that work for like 20 dollars instead of the joke of 380au dollars, so i tried putting the key in and it's not working. "you don't have a valid digital licence or product key" I was trying to upgrade from windows 11 home to pro, and...
  3. How do i get my original product key back

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do i get my original product key back: Apparently you can buy cheaper product keys that work for like 20 dollars instead of the joke of 380au dollars, so i tried putting the key in and it's not working. "you don't have a valid digital licence or product key" I was trying to upgrade from windows 11 home to pro, and...
  4. Original Product Key Insertion

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Original Product Key Insertion: Hi,I was studying a docker course when I was setting up the docker I wanted to activate Hyper V, but this feature was not available, I had to change my product key, but now I want to insert my original product key, and when I try to insert it, it sends me this message 'the...
  5. Original Product Key Insertion

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Original Product Key Insertion: Hi,I was studying a docker course when I was setting up the docker I wanted to activate Hyper V, but this feature was not available, I had to change my product key, but now I want to insert my original product key, and when I try to insert it, it sends me this message 'the...
  6. Original Product Key Insertion

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Recover my original, valid product keys?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recover my original, valid product keys?: Can Microsoft assist me in recovering my original, valid product keys? I ran a script that was supposed to reveal the product key, but instead changed the product keys. I was attempting to catalogue the product keys from 3 machines in preparation for Win 11 upgrade. I could...
  8. Retrieving Original Product Key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Retrieving Original Product Key: I am Using HP TS 14 Notebook PC. It was Pre installed with Windows 8 Home Edition. It was upgraded it to Windows 10 Home. My laptop suffered Hard Disk Failure so a new Hard Disk was inserted without Activation of Windows. I cannot Retrieve my Original Product Key. Please help...
  9. Finding Original Product Key

Finding Original Product Key: Is there anyway to find the first product key you used in your computer? If yes, please tell me how https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/finding-original-product-key/bb95519b-40bb-48d3-9963-486909a8de1a
  10. Windows original product key

Windows original product key: I am using hp laptop. My original product key got blurred and I have no idea about retailer. Please let me know how to get the original product key. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-original-product-key/446eaf65-e967-4e43-84d1-4e16b7135da8"