Windows 10: .Getting new SSD drive to boot up

Discus and support .Getting new SSD drive to boot up in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I am running windows 11 Home insider preview. I have a 128 gb ssd that is getting very full. I purchased a new 512 gb ssd and cloned the C: drive using... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by DeanSenecal, May 6, 2022.

1. .Getting new SSD drive to boot up

I am running windows 11 Home insider preview. I have a 128 gb ssd that is getting very full. I purchased a new 512 gb ssd and cloned the C: drive using AOMEI partition Magic.. I appears to have cloned the drive correctly. I have all the same files on my new ssd drive. The old 128 gb drive is plugged directly into the motherboard. My new 512 ssd is connected via a Sata 3 cable. I can see the drive when I go to my PC all of the files appear to be there.. However when I go to the BIOS boot up screen I do not have the ability to select the new hard drive. It only allows me to sele

:)

DeanSenecal, May 6, 2022
  2. DaveM121 Win User

New SSD wont boot

Hi John

Boot into BIOS, is SATA Mode set to AHCI to enable booting from an SSD drive?

Is the SSD drive set a top of the Boot Priority list?

Did you try connecting that SSD to the SATA Port normally used by your old HDD?

DaveM121, May 6, 2022
  3. New windows 10 installtion on New SSD - wont boot unless old SSD present

It seems you installed Windows while the both SSDs were connected. This would have caused your current problem. Maybe it is sufficient to do this:

1. Launch the Disk Manager.
    2. Right-click drive C:, then mark it as "active".
    3. Shut down Windows
    4. Open the BIOS and tell it that the new SSD is the primary boot device.
    5. Disconnect the old SSD.
    6. Boot up normally.

If this does not work then you might have to do this:

1. Disconnect the old SSD.
    2. Re-install Windows on the new SSD, using the Media Creation Tool.

Frederik Long, May 6, 2022
  4. .Getting new SSD drive to boot up

Can't boot from new drive

Thanks for the reply, but I'm not following you...

• What are you suggesting I unplug? Other USB devices? Done, but made no difference. (Ethernet? Monitors? Don't think that'll help.)
    • Not sure I understand your partitioning advice?
    • Also unclear about SSD drivers; if there was a driver issue, wouldn't it had failed to work at all? (As mentioned, I am able to boot Windows from the new drive as long as the old one is still plugged in...and it works just fine as a secondary drive.)

Touchdown4308, May 6, 2022
Thema:

.Getting new SSD drive to boot up

1. .Getting new SSD drive to boot up - Similar Threads - Getting SSD drive

2. system booting with new ssd but ssd not showing up in bios as a drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    system booting with new ssd but ssd not showing up in bios as a drive.: Hi, Iam using Dell latitude 5400 i7 8th gen laptop. I got it with 256 GB m.2 sata ssd which was slower. so I upgraded to m.2 nvme ssd from Western Digital WD SN570 1TB SSD. I backed up my data from previous ssd and removed the old ssd and installed new ssd into the system....
  3. system booting with new ssd but ssd not showing up in bios as a drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    system booting with new ssd but ssd not showing up in bios as a drive.: Hi, Iam using Dell latitude 5400 i7 8th gen laptop. I got it with 256 GB m.2 sata ssd which was slower. so I upgraded to m.2 nvme ssd from Western Digital WD SN570 1TB SSD. I backed up my data from previous ssd and removed the old ssd and installed new ssd into the system....
  4. system booting with new ssd but ssd not showing up in bios as a drive.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Booting Up on New SSD Instead of Old Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Booting Up on New SSD Instead of Old Hard Drive: Hi,I've installed a new Samsung SSD into my laptop. The hard-drive that came with the laptop is still in the computer AND it's still acting as the boot and operating drive whenever I use the laptop.I've cloned my Windows10 and everything else on my hard-drive over to the SSD....
  6. Booting Up on New SSD Instead of Old Hard Drive

Booting Up on New SSD Instead of Old Hard Drive: Hi,I've installed a new Samsung SSD into my laptop. The hard-drive that came with the laptop is still in the computer AND it's still acting as the boot and operating drive whenever I use the laptop.I've cloned my Windows10 and everything else on my hard-drive over to the SSD....
  7. Booting Up on New SSD Instead of Old Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. .Getting new SSD drive to boot up

.Getting new SSD drive to boot up: I am running windows 11 Home insider preview. I have a 128 gb ssd that is getting very full. I purchased a new 512 gb ssd and cloned the C: drive using AOMEI partition Magic.. I appears to have cloned the drive correctly. I have all the same files on my new ssd drive. The old...
  9. Can’t get my new SSD to be main Boot drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can’t get my new SSD to be main Boot drive: So after someone told me I should make my SSD the new main thing to boot from as it makes everything faster, I listened and followed tutorials. I created the Installation Media on a USB, installed it onto the SSD which looks like it’s registered fine in the device manager and...
  10. New SSD boot drive, new Win10 install boots but 2nd drive not detected

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New SSD boot drive, new Win10 install boots but 2nd drive not detected: I have a Dell desktop Core i5 PC about 3-4 years old with 2 SATA drives and 2 DVD RW drives. I had the boot drive (a Samsung EVO850 250Gb SSD) partitioned into two drives, C 150Gb and D about 85Gb. The other HD is a Seagate 2TB which is partitioned into 4 drives, E, 700Gb, F,...