Windows 10: Getting no option to boot to after having to repair drivers

Discus and support Getting no option to boot to after having to repair drivers in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; title submitted by /u/mrzewzie [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/iz5nl1/getting_no_option_to_boot_to_after_having_to/ Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/mrzewzie, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Getting no option to boot to after having to repair drivers

/u/mrzewzie, Sep 24, 2020
  2. ram93 Win User

laptop doesnt boot automatically

This is what happened.

1. Did a repair install and later disabled hibertnate in CMD.
    2. Enabled legacy option ROM in BIOS.
    3. After a few times startup ( i used the system in such mode for 5 days), changed boot option back to default.
    4. Vola!! It boots automatically to win10 without any keypress. Tested it with many starts to confirm the same.
    5. Re-enabled hibernate option using CMD and later selected Fast Startup.
    6. System booted normally, without the need for any keypress.

I do not know exactly whether such steps resolved the problem or what else happened, hence cannot suggest above steps.

Many thanks to all members who helped to troubleshoot problems.

ram93, Sep 24, 2020
  3. UNI
    Uni Win User
    Critical Service Failed - Automatic Repair and Advanced Options

Update:
    Tried the Repair disk. Still back to "Your pc ran into a problem", "Preparing automatic repair" followed by Advanced Options which have been tried again.

Would anyone recommend:
    • bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd
    • bootrec.exe /fixmbr
    • bootrec.exe /fixboot

Otherwise, I have a bootable Win PE file waiting to be burned on to USB key, as suggested by other Forum user, but unsure what to do with it when (or if) it boots up the laptop.

4. Getting no option to boot to after having to repair drivers

UEFI boot options disappeared from BIOS; now getting reboot and select proper boot device

In short, I need to get the system/BIOS to allow UEFI booting of the SSD.

Computer started up today with default BIOS settings.

• Only SSD 1(Windows boot) and SSD 2 were listed in BIOS; HDD 1 and HDD 2 were not visible
    • System would not boot. Gave the 'reboot and select proper boot device' message
    • Boot menu has no UEFI/EFI (or Windows Boot Manager) entries anymore
    I went into Partition Magic/Gparted and confirmed :

• All drives are still showing
    • All drives' data is in tact [EFI volume/partition is still listed (and can be browsed/files accessible)]
    Gparted print out (note dev/sda2 apparently that is normal behavior) :

/dev/sda1 (locked) EFI System Partition--Fat32--/media/sda1--100.00mb--46.81MiB--53.19MiB--boot,esp
    /dev/sda2 (exclamation mark) Microsoft reserved partition--unknown file system--no mount point--128.00MiB--unused spaced--msftres
    /dev/sda3 basic data partition--ntfs--/media/sda3--118.58GiB--70.78GiB--47.80GiB--msftdata
    /dev/sda4--ntfs--/media/sda4--450.00MiB--327.71MiB--122.29MiB--hidden,diag

As I am able to boot Windows installation from USB, I tried the standard startup repair. It said it was not able to fix any problems.

Next I tried to repair the EFI with Diskpart in the shell:

• sel vol 1 (note that Diskpart states EFI partition is 'hidden')
    • assign letter=z:
    • cd /d z:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\
    • bootrec /fixboot
    • bcdboot c:\Windows /l en-us /s vz /f ALL
    It completed all tasks successfully. Unfortunately that did not work.

Other things I have tried :

• Removing CMOS battery and replacing with a new one - my HDD started showing up again after doing this.
    • Using the old MBR commands(in hopes it would force the Windows startup repair to recognize and fix a problem)
    bootrec /fixmbr
    bootrec /fixboot
    bootrec /scanos
    bootrec /rebuildbcd​
    • Loaded BIOS 'optimized'/defaults (the system did this already once before, hence why I am in this situation, though doing it manually seemed like an option worth trying. Note that after doing this and restarting the system, HDD's stopped showing again)
    • Removed new CMOS battery and left it out of the system for thirty minutes
    • Formatted EFI and msftres partitions, then rebuilt the EFI boot records
    In summary, am looking to force the BIOS to see the EFI partition on the SSD boot drive, as it is not an option any longer.

newconroer, Sep 24, 2020
Thema:

Getting no option to boot to after having to repair drivers

1. Getting no option to boot to after having to repair drivers - Similar Threads - Getting option boot

2. Windows won't boot and repair options aren't working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows won't boot and repair options aren't working: I built a new PC over the holiday and it's been working great, but this morning I got sent to the recovery screen and I can't seem to fix it. I had payday 2 freeze on me last night and I pressed the power button to reboot, the game sometimes does this weird freeze where...
  3. I have tried all the repair options but my pc will still not boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have tried all the repair options but my pc will still not boot: I have tried all the options to allow my pc to boot but still not working. I tried resetting, using command prompt and restoring options in the advanced options but it's still not working...
  4. I have tried all the repair options but my pc will still not boot

I have tried all the repair options but my pc will still not boot: I have tried all the options to allow my pc to boot but still not working. I tried resetting, using command prompt and restoring options in the advanced options but it's still not working...
  5. Help? Boot options repair and media tool download

Help? Boot options repair and media tool download: Is someone able to post and reply to help me use what I have to safeboot my windows 8 / 10 computer? The first repair and manage assist worked fine though the boot loop response petsisted and dont even ask why I did not have a restore point - first thing in good promise and...
  6. Why did Microsoft get rid of "Repair Install" option from boot media?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why did Microsoft get rid of "Repair Install" option from boot media?: My GPU went on my computer and I turned my monitor on to a green screen. I restarted the PC and it booted back into Windows without issue. Performed a system restore for some reason and everything went fine. I decided to try and boot into safe mode but, it never booted back...
  7. Why did Microsoft get rid of "Repair Install" option from boot media?

Why did Microsoft get rid of "Repair Install" option from boot media?: My GPU went on my computer and I turned my monitor on to a green screen. I restarted the PC and it booted back into Windows without issue. Performed a system restore for some reason and everything went fine. I decided to try and boot into safe mode but, it never booted back...
  8. Why did Microsoft get rid of "Repair Install" option from boot media?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. Laptop boot/repair options not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop boot/repair options not working: My laptop has died today and I was wondering if anyone knew a technical fix that could help. I only bought it a few months ago, but this morning the keyboard stopped working. I updated the laptop and restarted it which worked fine. A few hours later the screen froze, then...
  10. Have Startup Repair and cannot boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Have Startup Repair and cannot boot: Windows 10 Startup Repair Loop - Will not boot Have received a PC from a friend which will not boot into regular Windows 1903, will only boot into the Windows Recovery Environment after attempting a repair. I've been trying to get it working for a while now and everything I...