Windows 10: Getting rid of Dual boot

Discus and support Getting rid of Dual boot in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I've just installed Windows 10 Pro on an SSD and now have a Dual Boot System with Windows 10 Home on another SSD. I would like to remove the "Home" O/S... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by IDontByte, Oct 30, 2020.

1. IDontByte Win User

Getting rid of Dual boot

I've just installed Windows 10 Pro on an SSD and now have a Dual Boot System with Windows 10 Home on another SSD. I would like to remove the "Home" O/S to reclaim lost disk space, apart from anything else but am concerned because UEFI BIOS will only "see" the "Home" SSD as a boot system. Once my PC starts to boot, I'm then asked which O/S I want to load and everything works great.

I would normally just reformat the unwanted O/S disk, but am concerned that this would then make my PC unbootable.

So, what if I just reformatted the O/S partition which would hopefully leave Boot Manager on that SSD, but I would rather have the "Pro" SSD contain everything necessary to boot my PC.

I regularly backup the O/S disk, so perhaps I could restore clone the Pro version to the Home version disk but might that then lose the Boot Manager on that disk?

I've read all I can find on UEFI booting but none seem to match my situation or do anything to fix things as I want.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

David

:)

IDontByte, Oct 30, 2020
  2. KDBudd Win User

Repairing Dual boot for Windows 10

Hello.

I had installed Ubuntu for a dual boot but ended up deleting it and the partitions. Now when I boot my system a black screen appears with the message:

"Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists possible device completions.

grub> _"

I can get to Windows by typing 'exit'. How can I get rid of these extra steps to starting my computer?

There is another post that already asked about this exact problem but following the directions did not fix it for me (see link below). Is there another way to fix this problem besides booting from an install and typing "bootrec.exe /fixmbr" into the command
    prompt?

Repairing Dual Boot in Windows 10

Thank you

KDBudd, Oct 30, 2020
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Dual Booting with Windows 8.1

The procedure below will allow you to boot Windows separately or in dual boot configuration.
    Here's what I recommend to do:
    1. Disconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    2. Install Windows 10 with one drive connected.
    3. After step 2, reconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    4. Boot up Windows 8.1. Open disk management and take a note of the drive letter of Windows 10 OS.
      NOTE: if you boot up Windows 10, then take a note of Windows 8.1 drive letter
    5. Open Admin command prompt and type: bcdboot X:\windows where X: is the drive letter of Windows 10 (Windows 8.1 if you boot from Windows 10 in step 4)
    6. Reboot the PC. You should have a dual boot screen.

NOTE: To break off the dual boot setting, Win+R->msconfig->boot and delete the none default entry on the list.

topgundcp, Oct 30, 2020
  4. Getting rid of Dual boot

Dual Booting

Please follow the steps in the tutorial for how to post the screenshot. I cannot even see Disk 0, 1 and 2 on the drive map, and the columns were not spread so i can see the labels in the listings above even though it lllustates how to do this.

As long as you don't have a UEFI install then you can move the boot loader to Windows 10 so that it manages the Dual Boot using it's menu, add the Dual Boot back from there. These same steps using EasyBCD should do it:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/209885-boo...

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Oct 30, 2020
Thema:

Getting rid of Dual boot

1. Getting rid of Dual boot - Similar Threads - Getting rid Dual

2. Dual boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual boot: Hi All, Been searching for a clear answer but haven't found one yet. A few days ago I installed Win11 Pro preview on a spare drive with Win10 Pro already on my main m.2 drive. All worked fine for dual booting. The next day I was having some bugs in Win10 with right-clicking...
  3. How to get rid of old (dual) boot hdd used to clone Win 10 to ssd

How to get rid of old (dual) boot hdd used to clone Win 10 to ssd: Hello All, My Lenovo desktop came with Windows 10 Home preinstalled on a 1 TB HDD. Last December I cloned the Windows 10 partition to a SSD and somehow managed to boot from it as the main partition, C: on the volume I named Win10-SSD, leaving the old volume renamed Win10-HDD...
  4. need to get rid of dual sign on requirement when signing in

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    need to get rid of dual sign on requirement when signing in: need to get rid of dual sign on requirement when signing into web sites https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-to-get-rid-of-dual-sign-on-requirement-when/c267a4dd-e56e-4836-b004-1ee9139c08bc
  5. dual boot

in Windows 10 Customization
    dual boot: how do i remove a dual boot to make it single boot system w/Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dual-boot/1f4d89b9-3e50-4e91-97b5-f8589935661c
  6. Dual Booting

Dual Booting: I have Windows 10 set in msconfig as my default operating system. When I turn on the computer I get the black Boot Manager screen and if I want Windows 7 I have to use the up arrow and hit enter. my question is how do you get that blue screen with both operating systems in a...
  7. Dual Boot

Dual Boot: Can I dual boot, Windows 10 and Ubuntu. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dual-boot/302b7f69-68b0-4eb7-8a83-5b181a481eba
  8. Dual booting

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dual booting: I have set up a VHD and loaded it with ubuntu 18.04.1 LST. The problem is I can't make the VHD visible so I can't dual boot my laptop. If I go to This PC and look, all I see is C:. If I open C: then I can see the VHD but can't access it. What did I do wrong? How can I fix...
  9. [SOLVED] I can't get rid of dual boot option after installing RemixOs

[SOLVED] I can't get rid of dual boot option after installing RemixOs: Hi, A friend of mine brought me an old hard disk in which he wanted me to install remix os on, we plugged it in my pc (using a USB adapter), installed Remix Os (choosing hard disk option) then unplugged the disk (he went home, didn't like the OS and ended up formatting the...
  10. Dual Boot

Dual Boot: This is a two part question, and please note I do not have Win10 myself. In fact I do not have direct access to the computer I am talking about although I do have the full technical details of it, including all drivers, etc. Firstly, If Win10 is already installed on a...