Windows 10: Getting Rid of Firewall Notifications

Discus and support Getting Rid of Firewall Notifications in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi all, I have Windows Firewall disabled. I know this and it has to stay that way. I use a lot of AV apps that will not function with it on, even... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by muzicman82, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Getting Rid of Firewall Notifications

Hi all,

I have Windows Firewall disabled. I know this and it has to stay that way. I use a lot of AV apps that will not function with it on, even with exceptions.

In any case, I keep getting toast alerts saying it is disabled and I can't get rid of it. I had Action Center enabled, right clicked, and hit Disable Notifications for this app, but they keep coming back.

So, I disabled Action Center. Still get the toast alerts. HOW do I disable these? I miss the old Action Center control panel where I could just uncheck a dozen or so boxes and I never got bothered.

:)

muzicman82, Jun 23, 2015
  2. Ralph113 Win User

Firewall message

I recently installed Windows 10.

I have gotten a notification that the Firewall is not on, yet when I went to security firewall it said protected by 3rd party vendor (Norton)

That was fine with me, but the notification keeps popping up. Can I get rid of the notification?

Thanks

Ralph113, Jun 23, 2015
  3. Windows Firewall notification crashes and I am unable to click close.

Good afternoon,

So I recently purchased the dell XPS 13 with windows 10. Everything has runned fairly smoothly with windows. Other than a couple things like explorer.exe and such. My problem is that the notification for "Turn on Windows Firewall" and below that says "Windows
    Firewall is turned off. Tap or click it on", Freezes. I can't click any "X" button or even uses that part of the screen. I simply cannot get rid of the notification. I have searched a lot of places for it but found nothing. I restart works fine but then comes
    back.

Thanks a million,

Josh Sternfeld

JoshSternfeld, Jun 23, 2015
  4. Mystere Win User

Getting Rid of Firewall Notifications

You shouldn't go disabling things without knowing what they do. You may now be in a completely unworkable state.

For the record, you can disable them the same way you always could, but you just have to go through the control panel. Control Panel (change to large or small icons) -> Security and Maintenance -> click "Turn off messages about network Firewall". This is the same dialog you would get the old way.

Mystere, Jun 23, 2015
  5. Thanks for the info! But, for the record, I know what the things do. I simply don't understand why there is an option to turn off notifications from this program if it doesn't actually turn off anything. All that needed to do is disable the messages for me, or simply not give me any further notices.

Also not sure what you mean by "Unworkable State". I don't see anything in Windows that can't be enabled once disabled....

As smart as Cortana claims to be, some of the OS is still pretty dumb.

muzicman82, Jun 23, 2015
  6. Gary Win User
    The latest Beta of Avast Internet Security has support for Windows 10. It allows Defender to run in conjunction with it.

7. ESurge Win User
    muzicman82 - after reading this thread, I feel your pain and face palm moments.

I ran into this same issue when I upgraded to Win10 - Every 30 or so minutes, I'd get the annoying Windows Firewall is disabled, click here to enable popup.

Upon searching the new UI for settings, it doesn't have an option to disable the notification for the firewall (as you mentioned). To actually disable the notification, you'll need to access the old Security and Maintenance control panel item.

Go to the Control Panel, view all control panel items, and change to an icon view (not category).
    Look for and open: Security and Maintenance
    You'll see the good ol' notification screen from Win8 and 7. Just click Do not notify me under the firewall setting and it goes away!

ESurge, Jul 30, 2015
  8. Getting Rid of Firewall Notifications

Stop assuming everyone is an idiot. And if you really think disabling the firewall in any way causes the Windows OS to become unstable you really are out there. I turn my off within minutes of first boot, it's pretty much worthless and only interrupts legitimate traffic.

Mentalfloss, Aug 23, 2015
  9. Gary Win User
    I disabled it only because I use Avast AIS which has it's own firewall which is much better. I firewall of some sort is needed as is an AV program.

10. DJG
    DJG Win User
    I'm using Win firewall while waiting for Agnitum to release a Win 10 friendly update to Outpost Firewall Pro, sigh ...

Frankly I can't tell it's there.

11. Mystere Win User
    I was talking about randomly disabling services like action center and hoping it will fix a problem, not the firewall. I think we can all safely assume that we know what disabling firewall does, particularly since MS gives you an official way to do so.

So perhaps YOU should stop assuming...

Mystere, Aug 24, 2015
  12. I have managed to disable it, but have no idea which of my settings applied, try this (run as admin in CMD):

reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PushNotifications" /v "ToastEnabled" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

reg add "HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer" /v "DisableNotificationCenter" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

TairikuOkami, Aug 24, 2015
  13. Getting Rid of Firewall Notifications

Disabling Action Center can crash the OS, seriously?

Mentalfloss, Sep 2, 2015
  14. fredc Win User
    I disabled my firewall by mistake once and OMG , had Trojans and nasty crap all over the place , i think it's a must but i don't know much.

fredc, Sep 3, 2015
  15. Kylroi Win User
    Honestly, if anyone is plugging their internet feed directly into their computer, they deserve malware and viruses. If you use a router and have a "DMZ" setting which routes all undefined traffic directly to your computer, you're sill deserving of the malware/virus infections. Routers are dirt cheap, and when properly configured (mostly just default settings, even), they are already acting as a very capable firewall that protects the equipment behind it.

Even Windows Firewall won't protect people from clicking on malicious web links, though. So, you may want to get something else which monitors for and protects against malicious web content (most A/V software does that nicely). A firewall doesn't watch for that content.

Kylroi, Nov 18, 2015
Thema:

Getting Rid of Firewall Notifications

1. Getting Rid of Firewall Notifications - Similar Threads - Getting Rid Firewall

2. How do I get rid of these notifications?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I get rid of these notifications?: I keep getting notifications saying I have a few viruses and it looked up the trojan virus and it said it was fake, so I do not click on it because it is trying to get me to download the site and is just so annoying to have it constantly popping up. I also get some...
  3. how do I get rid of Firewalls

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do I get rid of Firewalls: how do I get rid of Firewalls https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-get-rid-of-firewalls/05421c77-d743-445f-b74e-e1df61ca13b5
  4. how do I get rid of Firewalls

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how do I get rid of Firewalls: how do I get rid of Firewalls https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-get-rid-of-firewalls/05421c77-d743-445f-b74e-e1df61ca13b5
  5. Windows Firewall - I am not getting notifications

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Firewall - I am not getting notifications: Windows 10 Version 2004 build 19041.630 I just switched from Norton Firewall to Windows Defender. When a program first accessed the internet, Norton notified me and I could grant access or block access. Windows Defender is configured to notify me when "it blocks a new app."...
  6. Still getting firewall Notifications

in Windows 10 Customization
    Still getting firewall Notifications: Windows still giving me firewall notifications being turned off and the the ability to turn it off is greyed out when I click on settings so yah!!!!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/still-getting-firewall-notifications/c47d27e8-e403-4323-8710-c903c46df8ce
  7. I get a notification for "Firewall and Network Protection"

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I get a notification for "Firewall and Network Protection": I have 2 issues with Windows Firewall. 1 I get a notification for "Firewall and Network Protection" Turn on Windows Firewall Windows Firewall is turned off Tap or click to turn it on By tapping it takes me to the settings page that says the firewall in ON...
  8. Getting Rid of CERTAIN Notifications in Win10?

Getting Rid of CERTAIN Notifications in Win10?: Hello Microsoft Community, When Windows10 starts on my laptop, notifications from OneDrive, ASUS, and others pop up immediately (there are usually two or three of them). Most of these notifications I have already seen and are therefore unimportant. I usually just...
  9. How to get rid of windows firewall notifications - they just won't go away!

How to get rid of windows firewall notifications - they just won't go away!: Hello, I have Windows 10 Home with OS build 17763.504. My (laptop) computer is a Dell XPS 15 9575. When I boot up and periodically afterwards, I receive a notification from windows that windows firewall is turned off. I am already behind a firewall and don't want or need...
  10. Get rid of 'language typing features' notification

in Windows 10 Support
    Get rid of 'language typing features' notification: Hi all, Love Windows 10 so far, has exceeded my expectations. Apart from one annoying thing: the language typing features notification. I turned off windows tips in settings a while back and the notification stopped. But now it's back! Does anyone know how to get rid of it...