Windows 10: Getting slow speed on apt get in Kali WSL 2 while Ubuntu WSL 2 works a lot better. And...

Discus and support Getting slow speed on apt get in Kali WSL 2 while Ubuntu WSL 2 works a lot better. And... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Background: I am a noob, so sorry for any technical details I get wrong. I already had Ubuntu installed on WSL1, and it was pretty slow. Then I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Life_s_short, Mar 5, 2020.

1. Getting slow speed on apt get in Kali WSL 2 while Ubuntu WSL 2 works a lot better. And...

Background: I am a noob, so sorry for any technical details I get wrong. I already had Ubuntu installed on WSL1, and it was pretty slow. Then I upgraded it to WSL2 and it got super fast. I needed Kali for learning pentesting and had a terrible experience while trying to dual boot it. I screwed up with the installation, and Grub gave me a lot of strange screens before booting into Windows. Then in an attempt to remove Kali, I deleted that partition from within windows. Then I couldn't boot into windows and was stuck on the Grub Rescue. Then I had to reinstall Kali, then boot into Windows, then get back to the recovery environment, which Grub gave me a trouble in accessing, then I had to repair Windows MBR using bootrec.

I installed a VM, but I just didn't like Kali on it. So, I decided to Kali on WSL2. The problem is Kali is atrociously slow with the "apt get" stuff. I checked the speed using speedtest-cli and it was ~ 3MB/s / 24 Mb/s, but "apt get" just can't go beyond 40-70 Kbps. Ubuntu was same before WSL2 but now it is fine. Kali is already on WSL2, so I can't understand what is wrong. Can anyone help me?

submitted by /u/Life_s_short
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Life_s_short, Mar 5, 2020

2. Mad Prof again -- Multi twindow GUI on UBUNTU on WSL working

@jimbo45

Install Kali Linux on WSL and follow this guide (GUIDE - Kali Linux in the Windows App Store) to at least test Desktop usability under WSL.

They use XRDP service and remote into Kali using Windows RDP to get visuals for XFCE4. It might not be exactly what you want, but it's a step in the right direction. *Wink

slicendice, Mar 5, 2020
  3. Ubuntu Linux on WSL will not use Internet

I have asked for the last 3 weeks for help from Ubuntu for the Ubuntu app in the store. My desktop has no issues using the Internet no matter where I go. However, for the last approximately 4 weeks the Ubuntu WSL will not access the Internet at
    all. Using apt-get update/upgrade, wget, curl, anything simply comes back as "Unable to access <whatever> site. Please try later." I have checked hosts, host.allow, host.deny, all are empty except for the normal comments. I have deleted/reinstalled
    Ubuntu, deleted/turned off WSL/rebooted/used disk cleanup/turned on WSL/rebooted/reinstalled Ubuntu and nothing helps. Please, someone help me with this issue before I delete windows entirely and set it up as SUSE or Fedora only. Thank you
    for any help/clues you can give me because Canonical doesn't seem to care.

Kenneth_Benson, Mar 5, 2020
  4. Getting slow speed on apt get in Kali WSL 2 while Ubuntu WSL 2 works a lot better. And...

Couldn't install Ubuntu 18.04 on WSL

Just tried it. Still the same.

Uninstalled Ubuntu 16,

Turned off the WSL feature,

Restarted comptuer

Turned on the WSL feature

Tried installing Ubuntu 18.

vikneshdbz, Mar 5, 2020
Thema:

Getting slow speed on apt get in Kali WSL 2 while Ubuntu WSL 2 works a lot better. And...

1. Getting slow speed on apt get in Kali WSL 2 while Ubuntu WSL 2 works a lot better. And... - Similar Threads - Getting slow speed

2. apt not working wsl

in Windows 10 Gaming
    apt not working wsl: wsl have internet access but apk not connecting https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/apt-not-working-wsl/3b25b2b2-4295-495c-ac94-2cef4cb75360
  3. apt not working wsl

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    apt not working wsl: wsl have internet access but apk not connecting https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/apt-not-working-wsl/3b25b2b2-4295-495c-ac94-2cef4cb75360
  4. apt not working wsl

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. WSL 2 - Can't install Ubuntu 22.04 - Can't use any Ubuntu with WSL 2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WSL 2 - Can't install Ubuntu 22.04 - Can't use any Ubuntu with WSL 2: Hi! I did a clean install of Win 11 Pro yesterday. I did Windows update and I'm current.I tried to use WSL and install Ubuntu 22.04 with the new GUI. I'm a developer and this is the reason I went to Windows 11!When I install from the store it dies while unpacking with a...
  6. WSL 2 - Can't install Ubuntu 22.04 - Can't use any Ubuntu with WSL 2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WSL 2 - Can't install Ubuntu 22.04 - Can't use any Ubuntu with WSL 2: Hi! I did a clean install of Win 11 Pro yesterday. I did Windows update and I'm current.I tried to use WSL and install Ubuntu 22.04 with the new GUI. I'm a developer and this is the reason I went to Windows 11!When I install from the store it dies while unpacking with a...
  7. WSL 2 Ubuntu

in Windows 10 Customization
    WSL 2 Ubuntu: Hello Sir/Ma'am, I'm using Windows Subsystem for linux version 2 to use Ubuntu and recently I've found out that my Ubuntu terminal is not giving any output when I type "Who" command. Can anybody help me? Thank you....
  8. WSL 2

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    WSL 2: I want to make use of WSL 2 feature with the new update of Windows version 2004 , in order to use WSL 2 i need to enable Virtualization in my pc bios settings. So when i enable virtualization my windows starts lagging and all the animations of scrolling etc etc lags...Please...
  9. How to ssh into WSL 2 Ubuntu?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to ssh into WSL 2 Ubuntu?: Please would someone be so kind as to provide a clear and neat set up for ssh-ing from an external machine into WSL 2, and that doesn't need re-doing each time the machine is restarted. TL;DR Please do not point me to a blog article unless you are *certain* it worked for...
  10. WSL 2 apt says network is unreachable

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WSL 2 apt says network is unreachable: I just set up a fresh install of Windows 10 on a brand new disk. I then followedthis official guide for setting up WSL 2, and installed the latest Ubuntu 20.04 from the Microsoft Store. With this launching correctly, the first thing I tried was a `sudo apt update` so that I...