Windows 10: Getting Sound in 10 Home Hyper-V session

Discus and support Getting Sound in 10 Home Hyper-V session in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; As most users will be aware, one restriction in Hyper-V is that you can only run 10 Home in a Hyper-V virtual machine as a basic session (as it does... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by cereberus, Feb 22, 2018.

1. cereberus Win User

Getting Sound in 10 Home Hyper-V session

As most users will be aware, one restriction in Hyper-V is that you can only run 10 Home in a Hyper-V virtual machine as a basic session (as it does not have RDP server capability), and cannot then get sound. To date, I have had to use VMWare to play Home VMs and get sound.However, I just came across this gem in GitHub that basically adds RDP server capability to 10 Home sessions.

github.com/stascorp/rdpwrap/releases

I just went to above URL in Home session, downloaded the zip file, extracted it to a folder, and ran install.bat.

I then tested it, rebooting Home in enhanced mode, and it just worked.

You cannot switch Remote off or on - it is just ON as you can see in picture below i.e. volume is active even though text says Remote Desktop is not available..

You can save a configuration file in same way as for PRO sessions, including connecting external drives.

Cool eh!

Getting Sound in 10 Home Hyper-V session [​IMG]

:)

cereberus, Feb 22, 2018
  2. shadowynd Win User

Hyper-V on Windows Home Edition?

In my "Services (Local)", the following are listed:

Hyper-V Data Exchange Service

Hyper-V Guest Service Interface

Hyper-V Guest Shutdown Service

Hyper-V Heartbeat Service

Hyper-V Remote Desktop Virtualization Service

Hyper-V Time Synchronization Service

Hyper-V VM Session Service

Hyper-V Volume Shadow Copy Requestor

Since Hyper V isn't supposed to be on Windows 10 Home, I'm wondering what's going on and why it is in my Services. Are there any other services which would appear in Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise or Education that shouldn't appear in Windows 10 Home Services?

Thanks!

shadowynd, Feb 22, 2018
  3. Hyper-V in Windows 10 Home

I'm reading other posts about this, but How can I get Hyper-V if I have Win 10 Home, do I have to pay for Hyper-V license?

Gabriel Robalino Wong, Feb 22, 2018
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there.
    @cereberus

Good interesting find and great info but RDP IMO is a hideous protocol for multi-media streaming

Great you found a way around the problem but IMO not the best solution. !!! Still think the VMware player is better for this.

Like you I appreciate ways to solve problems but I'm always open to alternatives which in this case are FREE and available !!!

Have a great weekend !! See in UK temp is about to plunge to -8C or so --we're basking in unseasonal heat today of around +7 deg C in FEB !!!! - OK raining but not freezing !!!!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 22, 2018
  5. cereberus Win User
    Sure, but in my case, I only used vmware for Home (never use Linux apart from Raspberry Pi) and it was a tad annoying using VMWare just for Home vms.

I doubt the temperature forecasts are that accurate btw. They often say that for sensationalism but most of time it is one place in a high hill in middle of Scotland not coastal towns like Aberdeen Getting Sound in 10 Home Hyper-V session :).

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Getting Sound in 10 Home Hyper-V session - Similar Threads - Getting Sound Home

2. How to get sound for Ubuntu in Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    How to get sound for Ubuntu in Hyper-V: It is possible to get sound for Ubuntu in Hyper-V. See mini guide I have written in elevenforum.com How to get sound on Ubuntu in Hyper-V | Windows 11 Forum 183275
  3. Hyper-V Sound

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hyper-V Sound: I have an Android VM running in Hyper-V on Windows 10. I would like to establish at least sound on the Android VM. I have followed the instructions as per https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/58091-use-local-devices-resources-hyper-v-virtual-machine-windows.html without...
  4. Hyper-V in Windows 10 1709 FCU, enhanced session not working?

Hyper-V in Windows 10 1709 FCU, enhanced session not working?: I have a fresh install of Windows 10 1709 Education N, and using the same image I made a Gen2 VM in Hyper-V. I thought something was off and then I noticed that enhanced mode wasn't on at all, and it is greyed out in the menu. It is enabled in Hyper-V settings. I only found...
  5. Hyper-V Full Screen after minimising session?

Hyper-V Full Screen after minimising session?: I know yu can alter the hyper-v configuration files so it starts in full screen mode, but if you minimise a session to the taskbar, and maximise again, it always reverts to windows mode rather than full screen mode, and you have to manually set to fullscreen again Anybody...
  6. Hyper-V "Enhanoced Session Mode" : Ok with any system?

Hyper-V "Enhanoced Session Mode" : Ok with any system?: Hello, i turned on the accurate service and checked the option is ticked; it was already the case. Then i did "connect" but the windows for the "Enhanoced Session Mode" settings didn't appear.. So i'm wondering : is this restricted to specific systems/settings? The VM must be...
  7. Hyper-V no sound

Hyper-V no sound: Is there anyway to get sound with the various VM's that I have created in Hyper-V ? I am currently using it in 8.1 Pro. Larry 4927
  8. Hyper-V VM has no sound

Hyper-V VM has no sound: This is my first attempt at using Hyper-V. Installation in my Win 10 Pro worked well right up until I tried using the virtual machines sound. No sound device reported. I opened device manager the only option I could see was Audio inputs and outputs. Expanding and a device...
  9. Hyper-V enabled but not accessible in Windows 10 Home?

Hyper-V enabled but not accessible in Windows 10 Home?: I have Windows 10 Home - I double checked this under Settings > System > About. Under System Information, I can see that somehow I have Hyper-V (which I read wasn't a feature in Windows 10 Home) enabled. I'm trying to install a Kali VM but I can't disable these features...
  10. Turn On or Off Hyper-V Enhanced Session Mode in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Hyper-V Enhanced Session Mode in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Hyper-V Enhanced Session Mode in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Hyper-V Enhanced Session Mode in Windows 10 Hyper-V enables running virtualized computer systems on top of a physical host. These virtualized systems (aka: guests) can be used and...
Tags: