Windows 10: Getting Speech Recognition working and can not load language english United States

Discus and support Getting Speech Recognition working and can not load language english United States in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, I am after some help to get my speech recognition working. When I go to start it it says "speech recognition could not start because the language... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by qhelp, Feb 3, 2020.

1. qhelp Win User

Getting Speech Recognition working and can not load language english United States

Hi, I am after some help to get my speech recognition working.

When I go to start it it says "speech recognition could not start because the language configuration is not supported"

I have Googled and it seems I need to reload the United States Language pack I only currently have English Australian loaded. When I try and download I get a red error message "sorry we're having trouble getting this optional feature installed "0x80073712" language settings". I have again googled and removed and cleaned and deleted here there and everywhere but nothing is working.

I have tried other languages and I get the same error.

I have tried loading the language .cab file through lpksetup but get the error that the language is already loaded. I have deleted files from software files, I have done windows updates, I have tried troubleshooter, I have tried to force a delete through Powershell but I come back to the same error "0x80073712".

I am at wits end to get this working after spending days on it. Any help appreciated.

Hayley

:)

qhelp, Feb 3, 2020

2. Cannot change speech language from English (United States) and cannot remove English (United States) voice package

Hi all,

I recently updated Windows to Feature v1909 and since I see problems with Speech.

I have Australia throughout the Control Panel/Region and Settings/Time and Language.

Everything used to work fine before the 1909 update.

Since then Speech Recognition would not open saying that "Speech Recognition could not start. Please change the recognizer language in the speech recognition control panel under advanced options".

If I opened Speech Recognition in Control Panel it had no settings but an error "Windows Speech Recognition is not available for the current display language"

I then checked Cortana and it reported that it was downloading a file before it could be used. That file was an English (United States) language pack.

So I let it download.

Then speech and Cortana were opening and working.

I then deleted the English (United States) language pack.

I then tried to change Settings/Time and Language/Speech/Speech Language from English (United States) to English (Australia) but if I exit Settings and go back in it is then changed back to English (United States). Rebooting or Logging Out etc. makes no
    difference, it cannot be changed from English (United States).

As well as this problem I now have an English (United States) voice package in Settings/Time and Language/Speech/Installed Voice Packages as well as my original English (Australia) voice package but if I try and remove the English (United States) voice
    package the remove button is greyed out and it won't remove. Rebooting or Logging Out etc. makes no difference, the English (United States) voice package cannot be removed.

Everything mentioned was working fine before the v1909 update.

Regards,

f_bagnato

Flavio Bagnato, Feb 3, 2020
  3. Cannot change speech language from English (United States) and cannot remove English (United States) voice package

Gday Greg,

Step 4 - msconfig - Made no difference

Step 7 - Malwarebytes - No malware detections

Step 10 - sfc and DISM - No corrupted files or images found

Step 16 - Create a Local Admin account - Configured all language and location related settings to Australia. I then tried to change Settings/Time and Language/Speech/Speech Language from English (United States) to English (Australia). On this local user
    it took and remained selected with English (Australia) even after a reboot.

Unfortunately though it would still not let me remove the English (United States) voice package in Settings/Time and Language/Speech/Installed Voice Packages.

I then deleted the local admin account (testing was finished) and logged on with my Microsoft Account. I then reattempted to change Settings/Time and Language/Speech/Speech Language from English (United States) to English (Australia). This time it took and
    remained selected with English (Australia) even after a reboot.

But......now my original problem reappeared that Speech Recognition would not open saying that "Speech Recognition could not start because the language configuration is not supported . The recogniser language must match the language of the user interface.
    Please change the recogniser language in the Speech Recognition control panel under Advanced Options".

If I go into the Speech Recognition control panel and select Advanced speech options I receive the error "The requested task cannot be carried out because the necessary engine could not be created. Please select a different engine and/or a different audio
    device."

The Language is "Microsoft Speech Recogniser 8.0 for Windows (English - US)". The other engine is "Microsoft English ASR Version 5 Engine". Selecting the other engine prompts the same error "The requested task cannot be carried out because the necessary
    engine could not be created. Please select a different engine and/or a different audio device."

Also, Cortana is no longer working at all. It opens saying "Listening" and it does not listen at all and disappears after some seconds.

All my drivers and BIOS are the latest versions.

I did a Repair Install of Windows 10 and for some crazy reason it also installed the English (United Kingdom) voice package. Strangely though I was able to remove that voice package (Don't know why that behaved differently to removing the English (Australia)
    or English (United States) voice packages).

Everything else is as it was.....................problematic.

To any others with a similar problem also be aware that Speech languages are also referred to in:

1) Settings/Ease of Access/Narrator/Personalise Narrator's voice - Having this set to a voice that is in the language that is the voice package you are trying to remove may prevent removing that voice package.

2) Settings/Cortana/Cortana Language - Having this set to the language that is the voice package you are trying to remove may prevent removing that voice package.

Regards,

Flavio

Flavio Bagnato, Feb 3, 2020
  4. jayv2251 Win User

Getting Speech Recognition working and can not load language english United States

Cannot get speech recognition to work.

This has nothing to do with Cortana. That actually works just fine. I'm talking about the basic speech recognition software built into Windows 10. I've been working on and off with this for over a month now and still cannot get it to work. I have the microphone icon pinned to my toolbar now to make it easier to attempt to get it to work, but every time I try to load it I receive a "Speech recognition is not supported in the current language" error pop-up box. I find that to be really strange as my region is set to United States and language to English (US) for Cortana and under Settings>Time & Language>Speech. I really need to get this to work! How do I fix this?

jayv2251, Feb 3, 2020
Thema:

1. Getting Speech Recognition working and can not load language english United States - Similar Threads - Getting Speech Recognition

2. Speech recognition language

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Speech recognition language: Speech recognition language how to stop USA voice and use UK voice https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/speech-recognition-language/292d04a4-db39-44eb-b667-e1020cfe3a20
  3. Remove Windows Display Language: English United States

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remove Windows Display Language: English United States: Hi.How do I remove English United States as a display language? English United States is not listed as a keyboard, as my region, or in any other visible Windows settings. However, I've got English United Kingdom and English United States as my two display languages. I've...
  4. Remove Windows Display Language: English United States

Remove Windows Display Language: English United States: Hi.How do I remove English United States as a display language? English United States is not listed as a keyboard, as my region, or in any other visible Windows settings. However, I've got English United Kingdom and English United States as my two display languages. I've...
  5. Remove Windows Display Language: English United States

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Speech recognition language stuck to English

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Speech recognition language stuck to English: Hi!I have three language packs installed English, French and Spanish. Even when I select another language as the speech language, the voice typing is stuck to English.Any help, please?...
  7. Speech recognition language stuck to English

Speech recognition language stuck to English: Hi!I have three language packs installed English, French and Spanish. Even when I select another language as the speech language, the voice typing is stuck to English.Any help, please?...
  8. Change Speech Recognition Language does not work from English to German

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change Speech Recognition Language does not work from English to German: Voice typing in German How can I dictate texts in German language? OS: windows 11 current settings: display language: German [Germany] time and language / language and region: - German [Germany] - English [American English] time & language / speech recognition language:...
  9. Change Speech Recognition Language does not work from English to German

Change Speech Recognition Language does not work from English to German: Voice typing in German How can I dictate texts in German language? OS: windows 11 current settings: display language: German [Germany] time and language / language and region: - German [Germany] - English [American English] time & language / speech recognition language:...
  10. OK! Select Language: English (United Kingdom), English (United States)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    OK! Select Language: English (United Kingdom), English (United States): Hi there, When choosing the Win 10 install I am given these options: Select Language: English (United Kingdom), English (United States) are there any major differences? apart from the obvious one - certain words are spelt differently... thanks! [img] 46469