Windows 10: Getting the upgrade icon and app

Discus and support Getting the upgrade icon and app in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; @Brink I was also able to reserve my copy of Windows 10 using OPTION TWO via task scheduler after installing the required updates but not yet seeing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by clayto, Jun 14, 2015.

1. clayto Win User

Getting the upgrade icon and app

clayto, Jun 14, 2015

2. Please help with windows 10

Hey Kimsue1,

kindly check out this article that explains getting Windows 10 Upgrade Icon in the taskbar.If it does not help, I would be happy to help.

Kindly mark as answer if you get the icon/app.

Thanks and regards

Sumit Dhiman2, Jun 14, 2015
  3. The Facebook icon and the app

OK, I managed to find the solution myself, here:
    /t5/Phone-Applications/Nokia-x6-Facebook-App/td-p/660331
     (follow the advice of dreams3577 posed at
    09-May-2010 11:43 AM). It took a while and a bunch of unnecessary and time consuming moves, but now it seems to work again. *Knock on wood*

EliasGranqvist, Jun 14, 2015
  4. Getting the upgrade icon and app

Hi clayto,

Are you running Windows 8.1 RT on the tablet? That OS does not qualify for the upgrade.
    To make this easier, please update the System Specs in your forum profile with complete information.

• In the System Manufacturer/Model Number field, manually type Desktop or Laptop adding it to the information already in the field. The specific model number is important - there are often many models of a given series.
      For example, my machine is a HP Pavilion dv6, but there are tens of the dv6 series, so dv6-6c10us is the specific model.

• Specify Custom Build as the manufacturer if it is not an OEM machine.
    The easiest way to do this is to use the information from a PUBLISHED Speccy report.
    See: Speccy - Publish Snapshot of your System Specs

Post the link to the report that Speccy gives you and also open the Speccy link.
    Then click here to view your System Specs on this forum.

When you have both windows open, put them side-by-side and simply copy the information, field by field, from the Speccy report to your System Specs.

To see what information other members provide in their System Specs, click on My System Specs in the lower left of any post by any member.

Thanks
    See if there's anything here that helps with the gwx icon. You mentioned the batch file, did you run all options?
    Solved Get Windows 10 (gwx) app: Appraiser and Reservation notification icon - Windows 10 Forums
    Take a look here for information re: Tenforums.
    Board FAQ

Setting and Profile Features

Reading and Posting Messages

It just takes a while to find things, after a short while you'll be a TenForums ( TF) guru *Wink

Ask any question about Windows, Hardware, or the forums - members are very helpful.

Slartybart, Jun 14, 2015
  5. clayto Win User
    Thanks for your detailed response. No, my 8.1 Tablet is not a RT. It is less than a year old and I know it is OK for the upgrade. I checked some time ago with the distributor Quantum Suppliers who emailed all its customers to say what it had sold us is eligible, as well as on the MS Community Forum; I have checked on the Windows Upgrade Assistant for
    W 8, but not able to check the latest for W 8.1 because I cannot get it; none of the reasons for not getting the upgrade icon given in the MS FAQ apply to me, I have the updates, etc.

I will try to get my system details filled in today from a Speccy report and will follow the link you supplied regarding gwx

clayto, Jun 14, 2015
  6. clayto Win User
    System details now submitted. I do not know what the 'cooling system is ---- do Tablets have cooling systems? *Huh

clayto, Jun 14, 2015
  7. clayto Win User
    I tried all the Drop Box batch file fixes about a week ago, they did not fix the issue. I have tried to get gwx to work in a couple of ways in the past fortnight, including setting it to run in the Task Scheduler, but it has not worked. gwx does not appear in the 'Show hidden icons' menu as I believe it should. Therefor it seems to me likely that there is were the problem lies? Unfortunately I could not find anything in the article you provided a link to which would do anything I haven't already done about gwx. What more can I do?

Choices in the batch file:
    1: Check Update Status
    2: Quick-Method #1 [JC from answers.microsoft.com]
    3: Quick-Method #2 [KevinStevens_845 from answers.microsoft.com]
    4: Long-Method #1 [Yaqub K from answers.microsoft.com]

[/QUOTE]

clayto, Jun 14, 2015
  8. clayto Win User

A WARNING! I am passing on this warning I have just received:

'The free upgrade is likely to mean that millions of Windows 8 and 7 users will make the upgrade. So, naturally, the cybercriminals are trying to get in on the action.

A new adware app has appeared that claims to be Microsoft's official update tool but which, in fact, actually wipes files from your computer. '

clayto, Jun 14, 2015
  9. Cliff S New Member
    That took longer than I thought it would.*sarc

Cliff S, Jun 14, 2015
  10. clayto Win User
    Why has MS not (so far) provided an Upgrade Assistant to W10 online, similar to the one for upgrading to W 8.1? Surely that would largely eliminate the current flood of anxious and frustrated postings on various forums, not least the MS Community Forum itself? It is my guess that even if they are not bothered about 'reserving' W10 many want to have their current system checked for compatibility, so than can either give up on the idea of upgrading, or else make preparations for it.

clayto, Jun 14, 2015
  11. Casey R Win User
    Just follow the header and run the highlighted exe. Works for win 7 or 8, 8.1, 8.1.1

Getting the upgrade icon and app [​IMG]

Casey R, Jun 14, 2015
  12. swarfega Win User
    gwx wont run for me. I'm currently on Windows 7 Pro.

swarfega, Jun 14, 2015
  13. Getting the upgrade icon and app

Thanks for updating your System Specs and for providing additional information.

There was a Windows Update (KB ???? ) last week that might have an effect. There were many GWX related files or at least 10.0.xxxx related files. I'll have to switch over to the Win7 box to get the KB #, but it might be faster if you ran Windows Update and made sure everything is upt to date, then run the fixWin10Full batch file again.

Other than uninstalling a modded device driver, that's pretty much all I did and when I selected option #2 this time (probably the 3rd or 4th time I attempted the 'fix') - the gwx icon appeared on the taskbar.

No, I don't think tablets have cooling - don't worry about that - your specs look good.

Slartybart, Jun 14, 2015
  14. Edwin New Member
    I wasn't getting the icon either, then read in MS Community to save this as a .cmd file:
    Code: REG QUERY "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\UpgradeExperienceIndicators" /v UpgEx | findstr UpgEx if "%errorlevel%" == "0" GOTO RunGWX reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Appraiser" /v UtcOnetimeSend /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f schtasks /run /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser" :CompatCheckRunning schtasks /query /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser" schtasks /query /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser" | findstr Ready if NOT "%errorlevel%" == "0" ping localhost >nul &goto :CompatCheckRunning :RunGWX schtasks /run /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Setup\gwx\refreshgwxconfig"[/quote] run it in an Admin Command Prompt, then

Edwin, Jun 15, 2015
  15. gbsnplr Win User
    I have a fully licensed version of 8.1 on parallels on my Mac. I check to see if I can upgrade but I am told I don't have enough memory. Will I be able to get an iso file to upgrade my 8.1?

gbsnplr, Jun 15, 2015
Thema:

1. Getting the upgrade icon and app - Similar Threads - Getting upgrade icon

2. I sometimes get the app icon in the search bar

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I sometimes get the app icon in the search bar: [IMG] I sometimes get the app icon in the search bar, any ideas how to fix this? I don't want to be a Windows 11 beta tester and reinstall Windows submitted by /u/Awkward-Skill-6029 [link] [comments]...
  3. app icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    app icons: hello, why outlook and settings icon looks like this? any explaination? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/app-icons/7adc7a94-d9c1-492d-b335-8d9c263e86df
  4. app icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    app icons: hello, why outlook and settings icon looks like this? any explaination? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/app-icons/7adc7a94-d9c1-492d-b335-8d9c263e86df
  5. Icon App

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Icon App: Some application icons do not appear when in the search menu. How to make the icon reappear? Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icon-app/d04e334a-c70d-478c-8afe-d610893de11b
  6. app icons

app icons: Please help. These app icon wont come up in windows 10. It cant be this hard. I just want to be able to get the shortcut to click on my apps without the internet. * Moved from IE10/other....
  7. How to get new Office app icon?

How to get new Office app icon?: [ATTACH] I've had all the new Office icons for a while, but for some reason the main Office app (the one I use as a launcher) never updated, and it looks really out of place in my start menu....
  8. Why is my Calculator App not getting the new icon?

Why is my Calculator App not getting the new icon?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/LyfeFix [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hgbk9p/why_is_my_calculator_app_not_getting_the_new_icon/
  9. App Icon

App Icon: Can you change the app icon of any app you want? If so how? I changed microsoft edge's icon but I can't seem to do it for others. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/app-icon/52a585a8-fd55-4d85-a56b-831410927fbe
  10. Windows 10 Upgrade i dont get tray icon windows upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Upgrade i dont get tray icon windows upgrade: my bro windows 8.1 pro OEM i dont get tray icon windows upgrade i did click windows update still noting to get tray icon windows 10 upgrade 10894