Windows 10: Getting the upgrade icon and app

Discus and support Getting the upgrade icon and app in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; ..... In the case of the latter, after restarting my Tablet I find that gwx does not show up in the icons customisation Window as I believe it should... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by clayto, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Getting the upgrade icon and app

I just came across this discussion re: tablets. Win 10 Reservation on small tablets - Windows 10 Forums
    It seems as though tablets are on the 2nd wave - storage space issues. Keep an eye on that thread for information. I don't have anything else to offer.

Things will fall into place as MS works through the update process for different device types.

Bill

Slartybart, Jun 16, 2015
  2. clayto Win User

That is a really interesting discussion for Tablet owners like me. Mine is a 10.1, so a 'large' Tablet I suppose with keyboard and mouse (a 'hybrid'?), and I do get all of the updates like other PC owners, but it is only 32 GB and it does have significant storage space issues --- it is probably the only compatibility question which I am concerned about so far. So the comments make a lot of sense, entirely logical if the upgrading is coming in waves. It is just a pity MS did not include that in its announcements, and I suspect there are many 'full size' PCs not yet getting the icon / app. I will certainly keep tracking the discussion. Thanks!

clayto, Jun 16, 2015
  3. Berton Win User
    clayto, I recently got a Dell Venue 8" Tablet with Win8.1. It has internal storage of 32GB but as I received it there was only 19GB free. I added a 32GB MicroXD memory card [same as used on cellphones] for additional storage as I frequently need to save downloads, may try a 64GB whenever I find a good buy. Nice thing about the MicroXD is all I've seen come with an SD adapter to use in Notebooks/card readers.

Berton, Jun 16, 2015
  4. Getting the upgrade icon and app

Berton,

Did the Get Windows 10 (GWX) icon show up on your tablet? I'm just curious.

Bill

Slartybart, Jun 16, 2015
  5. clayto Win User
    Hello Berton, your 'configuration' is very similar to mine, except that I have a lesser known Quantum View 10.1 Tablet (often described in reviews as 'Best Tablet on a Budget?)'. It too has a micro SD slot and I have a 16 GB Card and I am planning to get a 64 GB Card.

I too am curious about whether you have the icon yet? It appears that Tablet owners might have been struggling in vain to get it, if we are in a later 'wave' to upgrade. There is a suggestion / rumour (I have it in print) that the upgrade process for 'small devices', Tablets and Phones, may allow for automatic install of part of the OS to an external storage device, if there is inadequate storage on the main device. I hope it is true, it would be great if it is ----- and applies to mine!

You might already have done this to help with the lack of storage: I have reduced demands on the HDD / SSD by replacing a number of important desktop programs with Portable apps / programs which are installed on and run from the SD Card. They include Firefox and Thunderbird, Glary Utilities, Revo Uninstaller, Kindle for PC, VLC, Google Chrome plus more. I hate to think what the storage situation would be now, if these had to be on the HDD/SSD! I have found two main sources of free Portable apps / programs. We would have less of a problem if we could install Windows Store apps to the SD Card as was the case with W8 --- but we cant. It will be interesting to see if we can with W10 --- it seems quite likely, given that Store apps will run on the desktop.

clayto, Jun 16, 2015
  6. clayto Win User
    One bit of good news for some of us, ie. those with 'small devices' including Tablets with small HDDs. I have today learned that Windows 10 will provide a choice for deciding where to download Windows Store apps, so we will be able to keep and run them from external media such as Memory Cards and uSB Flash Drives --- reducing the demands on HDD / SSD. This is something I have hoped for, as explained in an earlier post.

No progress regarding the upgrade icon / app though.

Can someone explain what are the implications of installing via an ISO download, with respect to restricted free storage space?

clayto, Jun 19, 2015
  7. clayto Win User
    First a correction and some updating: I kept referring above to my Tablet being 32 GB --- it is in fact 24 GB so my lack of free HD storage is even more acute. I have heard nothing from the direction of MS about what to do with about upgrading on 'small devices'. I have asked about it on a number of forums but nobody seems to know. The suppliers of my Tablet advise me to use the ISO / clean install route. I have seen confusing information on the MS Community Forum about this, which so far I have not been able to understand. It seemed to be saying you have to try the update route first and only then try the ISO route. I have struggled to read a very detailed article re ISO/clean install which has settled one question for me. Should I try to do it myself? The answer is NO. I have consulted my local technician who will do it for me.

I have still not been able to get the upgrade icon and compatibility app, despite trying many 'fixes'. It is being able to check for compatibility I am mainly interested in.

Regarding GWX I have seen a statement that MS has recently published a fix for this, but with no indication of where to find it. Does anyone here know?

clayto, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Getting the upgrade icon and app

1. Getting the upgrade icon and app - Similar Threads - Getting upgrade icon

2. I sometimes get the app icon in the search bar

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I sometimes get the app icon in the search bar: [IMG] I sometimes get the app icon in the search bar, any ideas how to fix this? I don't want to be a Windows 11 beta tester and reinstall Windows submitted by /u/Awkward-Skill-6029 [link] [comments]...
  3. app icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    app icons: hello, why outlook and settings icon looks like this? any explaination? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/app-icons/7adc7a94-d9c1-492d-b335-8d9c263e86df
  4. app icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    app icons: hello, why outlook and settings icon looks like this? any explaination? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/app-icons/7adc7a94-d9c1-492d-b335-8d9c263e86df
  5. Icon App

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Icon App: Some application icons do not appear when in the search menu. How to make the icon reappear? Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icon-app/d04e334a-c70d-478c-8afe-d610893de11b
  6. app icons

app icons: Please help. These app icon wont come up in windows 10. It cant be this hard. I just want to be able to get the shortcut to click on my apps without the internet. * Moved from IE10/other....
  7. How to get new Office app icon?

How to get new Office app icon?: [ATTACH] I've had all the new Office icons for a while, but for some reason the main Office app (the one I use as a launcher) never updated, and it looks really out of place in my start menu....
  8. Why is my Calculator App not getting the new icon?

Why is my Calculator App not getting the new icon?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/LyfeFix [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hgbk9p/why_is_my_calculator_app_not_getting_the_new_icon/
  9. App Icon

App Icon: Can you change the app icon of any app you want? If so how? I changed microsoft edge's icon but I can't seem to do it for others. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/app-icon/52a585a8-fd55-4d85-a56b-831410927fbe
  10. Windows 10 Upgrade i dont get tray icon windows upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Upgrade i dont get tray icon windows upgrade: my bro windows 8.1 pro OEM i dont get tray icon windows upgrade i did click windows update still noting to get tray icon windows 10 upgrade 10894