Windows 10: getting this error when trying to access my external hard drive (description in the comments)

Discus and support getting this error when trying to access my external hard drive (description in the comments) in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] submitted by /u/jeedsdouble [link] [comments]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/jeedsdouble, Sep 13, 2020.

1. getting this error when trying to access my external hard drive (description in the comments)

/u/jeedsdouble, Sep 13, 2020
  2. twynog Win User

External hard drive not recognised

Thanks for this. I've done what you suggested and been through all the steps mentioned in the article. The hard drive works fine on a Mac computer, and I've managed to copy the information on it. It must be a Surface issue so I'll try to get a chat line tomorrow.

twynog, Sep 13, 2020
  3. Zaki_j Win User
    Toshiba external hard drive not recognized

Hi Philip,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that the external hard drive is not recognized by the PC. I appreciate your efforts in trying to resolve the issue.
    It would be great if you can answer these questions to assist you in a better way.

• Did you try connecting the Hardrive to different USB Port?
    • Does the Hardrive get detected if you try connecting it to a different PC?
    • Are you aware of any changes made to the computer recently?

I suggest you refer and follow the steps mentioned in the KB article and check if that resolves the issueError:
    “USB Device not recognized” when you try to access a USB external hard drive

Note: Ignore method 2 & 5 from the above article.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Zaki

Zaki_j, Sep 13, 2020
  4. Eric Ber Win User

getting this error when trying to access my external hard drive (description in the comments)

External Drive "not accessible"

Hi,

Corrupted USB controller is one of the possible reasons why you are unable to access your external hard drive. We suggest that you follow the troubleshooting steps provided in this

link
    to resolve the issue.

Should you need further assistance, don't hesitate to get back to us.

Eric Ber, Sep 13, 2020
Thema:

getting this error when trying to access my external hard drive (description in the comments)

1. getting this error when trying to access my external hard drive (description in the comments) - Similar Threads - getting error trying

2. frequent error trying to access external hard drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    frequent error trying to access external hard drives: My wife's Windows 11 computer, a Dell Optiplex 7080 micro, has three external USB hard drives connected to it. She uses them for backup of particularly important files.Intermittently, but far too often, when she goes to save a file on one of these drives, she'll get a small...
  3. frequent error trying to access external hard drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    frequent error trying to access external hard drives: My wife's Windows 11 computer, a Dell Optiplex 7080 micro, has three external USB hard drives connected to it. She uses them for backup of particularly important files.Intermittently, but far too often, when she goes to save a file on one of these drives, she'll get a small...
  4. Error message when trying to access files from an external hard drive in file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Error message when trying to access files from an external hard drive in file explorer: I have an 2.0TB Seagate external drive attached by USB when I try to open some of the files in file explorer I get the message "Location not available - H:/ ***********. is not accessible. The request failed due to a fatal device hardware failure" I have attached a...
  5. External Hard Drive No Access

External Hard Drive No Access: My external Seagate Backup Plus Drive shows up as E:\ when I plug it in but is not able to be accessed. I could see under right click properties that it was an NTFS drive and the name but zero for used, free, and capacity. I could get in from the command prompt and got one...
  6. External Hard Drive 100% when accessed

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    External Hard Drive 100% when accessed: Every time I access my external hard drive, it jumps to 100% usage and stays that way for about 15 minutes. Ithink it is windows defender scanning it, but I'm not sure. Also: even after the scan is complete, if I try to copy a file to it from a flash drive, it will jump up...
  7. Get error msg when trying to copy files onto external hard drive

Get error msg when trying to copy files onto external hard drive: I'm trying to copy all my pictures off of my hard drive onto a 3T external hard drive. I have very little disk space remaining on my hard drive. When I 'copy' the pictures file and then try to paste it to the external hard drive, I get the message "There is not enough space...
  8. External Hard drive not accessible

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard drive not accessible: My external hard drive was unplugged accidently. When i plugged it back into the computer, it recogonized a previous error with it and was in the process of fixing those errors automatically when it was accidentally unplugged again. Now when i plug in my external drive the...
  9. External Hard-drive crashes when i try to access it

External Hard-drive crashes when i try to access it: I have a Toshiba 2TB Canvio USB 3.0 Desktop Hard Drive, it was working yesterday but I am now having problems with accessing it today. I connected it today and in my computer it shows up as Local Disk (G:), when I click onto it to try and access it file explorer crashes and...
  10. External Hard drive not accessible...

External Hard drive not accessible...: Hi All, External Hard drive not accessible...? I have 1TB Seagate Backup Plus Slim 200gb cloud Hard Drive. It was working fine on Win 7 earlier, I formatted my desktop and installed win 7 OS since then my exernal hard drive is not initializing. My external hdd was not...