Windows 10: Getting Win 8.1 SSD to work on new Windows 10 computer

Discus and support Getting Win 8.1 SSD to work on new Windows 10 computer in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My old PC with Windows 8.1 finally stopped powering up, and I bought a new PC complete with Windows 10. Now I want to run my old Windows 8.1 SSD in my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Barry Ad, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Barry Ad Win User

Getting Win 8.1 SSD to work on new Windows 10 computer

My old PC with Windows 8.1 finally stopped powering up, and I bought a new PC complete with Windows 10.

Now I want to run my old Windows 8.1 SSD in my new Windows 10 PC, just to recover some of the programs and data.

I plugged the old SSD into the SATA3 position, and can see the drive in File Explorer.

How do I get it to run Windows 8.1?

And if I do, how do I transfer the necessary files and programs?

I tried Settings-Recovery - Boot Manager, but I do not see option for booting from another existing drive, just from a CD or USB..

Barry

:)

Barry Ad, Jun 19, 2019
  2. Monk.e83 Win User

Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers Windows 7 & 8 (With Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive)

DTS supported natively by Windows 8/8.1 and it should work on windows 10 too just DDL require to unlock your driver .

Monk.e83, Jun 19, 2019
  3. How to reinstall Windows 10 if my computers used the free upgrade from 7 and 8?

Will windows 10 still accept the license keys from 7 and 8 now if I reinstall my computer?

Does Microsoft keep a list of users who upgraded to Win 10 using their 7 and 8 keys so that when users need to reinstall windows 10 the old keys would work?

Do I need to call in Microsoft to ask them to activate my Windows 10 when I give them my win 7 keys?

Both computers are laptops. The windows 7 machine had the serial printed on the back, and I needed to enter that when I upgraded to 10. The windows 8 machine had the serial built in inside its boot system so I didn't need to enter the key when I upgraded to 10, but I did manage to write down the keys using a fetcher program.

JebusPrime, Jun 19, 2019
  4. Getting Win 8.1 SSD to work on new Windows 10 computer

Repair Windows 7/8/10

Thanks Drone!

Now I'm running into another issue.

I cloned the HDD to Sony Evo 850 SSD using EaseUs todo (the program it came with- Sony Magician didn't work) with success but when I install the new drive it says it's not bootable.

I've searched for this issue on other forums, but many answers pertain to Windows7, or have solutions involving DVD's (I have no blank ones, plenty of USBs however.) I'm hoping I can boot from USB, from what I've read it seems like I can get the proper drivers so it will know how to start up with the new SSD. If anyone knows how to do this, I would need step by step instructions.

As a newbie to DIY computer repairs, I am feeling stumped at this point! I feel so close yet so far..

Specs for my ultrabook: Acer m5 581t
    New SSD: 250gb sony evo 850

Any hints or suggestions welcomed!

Thanks!

Loveisallyouneed, Jun 19, 2019
Thema:

Getting Win 8.1 SSD to work on new Windows 10 computer

1. Getting Win 8.1 SSD to work on new Windows 10 computer - Similar Threads - Getting SSD computer

2. Win 10 New SSD Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win 10 New SSD Drive: Reinstalled Win 10, Installed new SSD Drive to computer. Temporarly disconnected existing Harddrive. Set Bios to new SDD drive for start/Boot. Reconnected harddrive. My question is that I have duplicate files in Partitions/Drives. Can I now delete/format the Harddrive now?...
  3. Win 10 New SSD Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 New SSD Drive: Reinstalled Win 10, Installed new SSD Drive to computer. Temporarly disconnected existing Harddrive. Set Bios to new SDD drive for start/Boot. Reconnected harddrive. My question is that I have duplicate files in Partitions/Drives. Can I now delete/format the Harddrive now?...
  4. Win 10 New SSD Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Win 10 New SSD Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. Getting a program designed for Win 8 to run on Win 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Getting a program designed for Win 8 to run on Win 10: I purchased a program that was apparently designed to run on Win 8 for my Win 10 PC (all are current versions) and am unable to get it to run. The program is ShadowFX from Stardock Software. Is there something I can do to make such a program run on Win 10? Thanks....
  7. Getting Windows 10 on new SSD

Getting Windows 10 on new SSD: So I have a Toshiba Satellite C75D-7230 with a failed hdd and have purchased a compatible ssd to replace it. The problem is that I unfortunately never created an ISO image of the drive. Is there a way to get Windows 10 on the new ssd without having to purchase another copy?...
  8. New computer with Win 10, getting failed updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    New computer with Win 10, getting failed updates: Brand new computer with Windows 10. It did its update thing after it was set up and updated to the current build. Took a look through the Windows Updates settings and noticed that Update history only lists one successfully installed update even though previously it had listed...
  9. Move win 10 from 1 ssd to new ssd

Move win 10 from 1 ssd to new ssd: Used Minitool to copy old ssd entirely to new ssd. Missing boot manager and bcd files. Copied from old to new. No joy? 18432
  10. New SSD for Win 10

New SSD for Win 10: Win 7 Pro currently installed on 126GB SSD. Only 20 GB capacity left. Plan to install new 500GB SSD as C Drive. Plan is to clone 126 SSD to 500 SSD, including Win 7 OS, before installing 10. Then install 10 to 500 GB SSD Does this seem like best way to go? Thanks 8944