Windows 10: Ghost accounts showing...

Discus and support Ghost accounts showing... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have my Windows 10 desktop using a Microsoft account. A few days back I changed my Microsoft password, as I hadn't done it in a while, and after I... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Gabe1972, Sep 2, 2020.

1. Gabe1972 Win User

Ghost accounts showing...

I have my Windows 10 desktop using a Microsoft account. A few days back I changed my Microsoft password, as I hadn't done it in a while, and after I did so I then used "netplwiz" to input the new password so that I could log onto Windows 10 automatically.

After restarting, it brought me to the sign on screen and said it couldn't connect to verify. I then saw that it was trying to automatically sign on using a newly created, grayed out account with the same name as my normal Microsoft account. I then clicked on the proper account, inputted my PIN, and was signed on. I restarted the computer to check it, and sure enough, it happened again. I then clicked on the proper account as before, entered my PIN, and was signed on.

The problem was that this grayed out ghost account only showed in two places, which was the sign on screen and the "Your Info" page in Settings >> Accounts. Because is was showing nowhere else, I couldn't delete that ghost account. So, I decided to re-image my computer from a System Image I saved a couple of weeks ago. The re-imaging went perfectly, but when it was finished I now had TWO ghost accounts! Now, because the two week old image had the old Microsoft Account password I did the "netplwiz" thing again to change it, and sure enough, on restart it defaulted to the first added, grayed out account again. I clicked on the correct account, as before, and entered my PIN, and it signed on.

Because I had tried everything I could think of, I decided to remove the PIN, just to see what would happen. After doing so, I restarted the computer and it automatically signed on the way it used to, not giving me the log in screen with grayed out ghost account at sign on issue anymore. BUT, the two ghost accounts are still on the "Your Info" page. I can find no way to delete them, as again, they only show there and likely the sign on screen if I went there again.

This is what I'm seeing, with the large one being the original, correct account. Or at least I'm assuming it's the big one and not the smaller one nor the originally added gray one, of course, as I believe the big one is the one I'm presently signed into.

Ghost accounts showing... 62436008-9465-4819-b1fc-f7f18f163136?upload=true.jpg

So, is there a way to get rid of the other two? Or seeing that everything is signing on as it should be, should I just not bother worrying about it?

The last option I can think of is a clean installation of Windows 10, but I wanted to check for ideas here, first. I just created the Windows 10 USB installation media last night so that it would be the most up to date version. I always save all of my important files and programs on a separate HDD, so I have them for after the reinstall, but again, I wanted to check if anyone had any ideas before I take that drastic of a step. Granted, I'm very familiar with performing a clean installation, so it would be quite easy, but I'd rather avoid it if I don't need to do it, as setting everything back up the way I like it is always a bit of a pain.

Thanks for the help.

:)

Gabe1972, Sep 2, 2020

2. Calendar/People app issue regarding 'ghost Microsoft account' & 'UniversalOutlook'

Hi. Acelyn Alc

No I did not and I am not going to perform the suggested steps. All I want is to inform people that the latest software versions did not help me.

Microsoft has to solve this. Not me. And they will. They did on my 950.

Edit: update to version 17.8104.42387.0. Still the ghost account.

Edit: update to version: 17.8119.42377.0. Still the ghost account.

Gerard Corbier, Sep 2, 2020
  3. Vesao Win User
    Remove account

I suggest you backup your personalized files first before removing the account.
    To delete an account, follow these steps:
    1. Press WIN + X keys and click Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    2. Type the following command and press Enter. Replace test with the name of your sister's account. Code:

Vesao, Sep 2, 2020
  4. Ghost accounts showing...

Sniper Ghost Warrior

Hi Gary,

Sorry for the delay in response.

• What is the make and model of the computer?
    • Do you face the issue only with Sniper Ghost Warrior?
    We would suggest you to update the graphics drivers and check.

Ravinath P, Sep 2, 2020
Thema:

Ghost accounts showing...

1. Ghost accounts showing... - Similar Threads - Ghost accounts showing

2. Ghost Work Account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ghost Work Account: I used a work account on my computer for a previous employer, and I've since disconnected the account and set up a new work account on my computer. Everything works as it should until I try to enable the new Outlook. It immediately takes me to my previous employer's domain to...
  3. Ghost Work Account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ghost Work Account: I used a work account on my computer for a previous employer, and I've since disconnected the account and set up a new work account on my computer. Everything works as it should until I try to enable the new Outlook. It immediately takes me to my previous employer's domain to...
  4. Windows User Accounts created a ghost account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows User Accounts created a ghost account: I don't understand why this is - but this operating system has split my sign-in. It introduced a new User Account that's a duplicate of my main account - but instead of asking for the pin, it asks for a password. This ghost account only shows up at log-in - IT DOES NOT SHOW...
  5. Windows User Accounts created a ghost account

Windows User Accounts created a ghost account: I don't understand why this is - but this operating system has split my sign-in. It introduced a new User Account that's a duplicate of my main account - but instead of asking for the pin, it asks for a password. This ghost account only shows up at log-in - IT DOES NOT SHOW...
  6. Ghost drives showing in windows explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Ghost drives showing in windows explorer: I have 2 "Removable Disk" drives showing in windows explorer that do not exist. They persist through shutdown and restarts. I have not been able to find any way to get rid of them. If I try opening them I get the following error: Location is not available F:\ is unavailable....
  7. Ghost drives showing in windows explorer

Ghost drives showing in windows explorer: I have 2 "Removable Disk" drives showing in windows explorer that do not exist. They persist through shutdown and restarts. I have not been able to find any way to get rid of them. If I try opening them I get the following error: Location is not available F:\ is unavailable....
  8. Ghost accounts showing... Solved

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Ghost accounts showing... Solved: I have my Windows 10 desktop using a Microsoft account. A few days back I changed my Microsoft password, as I hadn't done it in a while, and after I did so I then used "netplwiz" to input the new password so that I could log onto Windows 10 automatically. After...
  9. Mail app ghost account

Mail app ghost account: Hi there, So I have a gmail account in the mail app, but for some reason i can't remove this account i can't open the account settings and no mails are displayed. I have already searched about this but didn't really find anything helpfull. Even resetting the app and...
  10. Win 10 - account problem - ghost accounts

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Win 10 - account problem - ghost accounts: How can i fix this problem...I have only one microsoft account but in my win 10 account setting i am seeing 3 different accounts, with 3 different avatars - on one of them i cant change avatar picture like its ghost account, nor can i delete them 103453