Windows 10: Ghost copy taking up my HDD space, unable to delete

Discus and support Ghost copy taking up my HDD space, unable to delete in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; After deleting a game from my laptop, Windows created a hidden file as far as I get it a safety copy of the system before the uninstall which is using... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by RamonNijenhuis, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Ghost copy taking up my HDD space, unable to delete

After deleting a game from my laptop, Windows created a hidden file as far as I get it a safety copy of the system before the uninstall which is using up almost 90GB while it is dificult to find and for me till now impossible to delete...

I have the problem for a while, but now my SSD harddisk only has 3GB of space left and windows now warns me I have no space... Ironically I only use 10-20GB of my appr. 140GB total space. I download and save to another partition, so my C drive shouldn't get fuller at all...

Is there any way to get rid of this useless file? I have a backup of my system on my external HDD anyway

:)

RamonNijenhuis, Apr 4, 2020
  2. UserTen Win User

Unable to Use Unallocated Space to Extend Partition

Okay...thanks. Will look at it tomorrow. FYI, I figured out how to get that unformatted G partition back into D.

In Disk Management, I right clicked G and selected "Delete Volume." That rendered the partition as unallocated. I was then able to extend D with that space.

Thanks again for all of the help!

Ghost copy taking up my HDD space, unable to delete [​IMG]

UserTen, Apr 4, 2020
  3. AlashZU Win User
    Copied file takes 2x hard drive space

I have a problem in Windows 10.

When I copy a file to a drive, it takes twice as much space than its size.

During the copy process, it firstly takes all of its size from the free disk space, then it continuously takes the same amount until the copy is finished.

The result is, that when I copy 1GB file to my HDD, I have 2GB less of free space. Do you have any idea, what can be the reason?

AlashZU, Apr 4, 2020
  4. Ghost copy taking up my HDD space, unable to delete

Not enough space even though there is space

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

We will surely assist you with the issue. Refer the below steps.

Step 1:

I suggest you to change the file system to NTFS while formatting and then try copying the files and check.

Step 2:

• Take the backup of the data, if you have any important data in it?
      • Let’s format the drive and check.
      • Go to this PC.
      • Right click on the external USB device.
      • Select Format.

Note: Formatting will delete all the data in the device, taking a backup of the data is recommended before performing a format.

Keep us posted for further assistance, we will be glad to help.

Akheel Ahmed, Apr 4, 2020
Thema:

Ghost copy taking up my HDD space, unable to delete

1. Ghost copy taking up my HDD space, unable to delete - Similar Threads - Ghost copy taking

2. Ghost Apps taking up space in computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ghost Apps taking up space in computer: Hi,In my storage settings, there are 2 games taking up space, one taking up 10 gbs and the other taking up 25. I've tried uninstalling them, but the system always says that it can't find the file, and thus can't delete it. I've looked at different websites on how to deal with...
  3. Ghost Apps taking up space in computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ghost Apps taking up space in computer: Hi,In my storage settings, there are 2 games taking up space, one taking up 10 gbs and the other taking up 25. I've tried uninstalling them, but the system always says that it can't find the file, and thus can't delete it. I've looked at different websites on how to deal with...
  4. Ghost Apps taking up space in computer

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Deleted Files take up MORE space after deletion

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Deleted Files take up MORE space after deletion: Was low on room for my C: drive so I decided to go uninstall some of the campaigns for HALO. All in all, it should have brought about 45gbs of space back to me. Instead, it took up MORE room and now I have 400mbs of space left. It is NOT system restore- I had this issue in...
  6. **** is taking up my space

in Windows 10 Customization
    **** is taking up my space: can i ask about why there are 70 GIGABYTES taken up in apps and features [ATTACH][ATTACH] EDIT: **** like this doesnt happen on linux, why should it happen here. and if system apps take up a minimum of 65 gigabytes thats disappointing that stuff i dont use takes up that...
  7. 'Ghost' file on a USB taking up 20 GB of space?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    'Ghost' file on a USB taking up 20 GB of space?: Sorry if this isn't the appropriate sub for this. So I have a 32 GB USB that had a locked .bat folder in it that contained data worth of 20GB. One day I plug in the USB, enter the password for the .bat but it says the folder is empty. Considering that I didn't need that...
  8. ghost files taking up 90% of my storage

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    ghost files taking up 90% of my storage: ive been having issues with 3 ghost files taking up almost all of my storage space on my pc and ive tried everything i possibly can but i can't get rid of them, the files were things i deleted completely but these files wont uninstall...
  9. Copying files from external HDD to C takes up temporarily double the space of the copied...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Copying files from external HDD to C takes up temporarily double the space of the copied...: Hello, I've been experiencing this problem for the past few months. When I copy any file from external HDD to my C drive, right at the beginning of the copying, space of the file size is allocated on C and then the copying continues normally, as it gradually takes up...
  10. Unable to delete apps that are taking up space.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to delete apps that are taking up space.: Please can someone help? I downloaded some apps onto an SD card but they wouldn't work. So I removed the SD card. Now these apps are taking up room on my tablet which I need. I have tried to remove them but get error code:0x8000000e. I have also tried resetting them but...