Windows 10: "Ghost"Files Hold Up Windows 10 Backup

Discus and support "Ghost"Files Hold Up Windows 10 Backup in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; In executing a Windows Backup overnight, the results showed three files that were skipped (I gather from reading the "details" because they could not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Curmudgeon10, Oct 3, 2019.

1. "Ghost"Files Hold Up Windows 10 Backup

In executing a Windows Backup overnight, the results showed three files that were skipped (I gather from reading the "details" because they could not be located, and after a set time, the Backup moved on).

The thing is, I cannot locate these files either -- they don't seem to exist --- with "search" in File Manager, or simply clicking down the path to where they should be located. How do I find out where on the machine these directory entries are listed, and delete them?

:)

Curmudgeon10, Oct 3, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 3, 2019
  3. Martmcd Win User
    Downgrade Windows by a Ghost file

1. no, you can reinstall windows 10 anytime you want t0.

2, yes, you will lose everything that is not on your backup.

3. yes, you will lose everything that is not on your backup.

4. yes, your backup will overwrite what is currently on the disk (windows 10) and replace it with the files on the backup.

5. yes

6. no. but, you will lose everything created or installed since the creation of the Ghost file.

your computer will go back to how it was the day you made the Ghost image.

Martmcd, Oct 3, 2019
  4. Geekoid Win User

"Ghost"Files Hold Up Windows 10 Backup

Using network hard drive for backup

It depends what sort of backup you want to do. If you're happy just backing up regular files, then there are a bazillion (really, that many!) different bits of freeware to do that. There is a good list here:

Download Back Up Tools for Windows - MajorGeeks

and pretty much all of them can do network backups. Some even have fancy options like encryption. Really, the most useful thing is just being able to schedule them and know they ran OK.

You may also want to make a system image backup too, and you'll find that software in the very same list.

I don't have Windows 8 as yet, so I'm afraid I can't suggest any for that platform. Personally, I use Clonezilla for image backups.

Geekoid, Oct 3, 2019
Thema:

"Ghost"Files Hold Up Windows 10 Backup

1. "Ghost"Files Hold Up Windows 10 Backup - Similar Threads - GhostFiles Hold Backup

2. windows 10 "backup" not backing up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 10 "backup" not backing up: On this computer, windows 10, the backup page shows its backing up and also the time it finished.On my office computer, that has just had the operating system re -installed , today I tried to back it up to the flash drive and it would not back up. I had a geek squad tech out...
  3. windows 10 "backup" not backing up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 10 "backup" not backing up: On this computer, windows 10, the backup page shows its backing up and also the time it finished.On my office computer, that has just had the operating system re -installed , today I tried to back it up to the flash drive and it would not back up. I had a geek squad tech out...
  4. windows 10 "backup" not backing up

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Xbox controller constantly holding up.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Xbox controller constantly holding up.: So I recently got gamepass ultimate and started using a controller with my pc to play on the cloud.Everything was working fine until my controller disconnected itself and started holding whatever input I pressed before it disconnected.I've checked to see if its a problem with...
  6. Xbox controller constantly holding up.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Xbox controller constantly holding up.: So I recently got gamepass ultimate and started using a controller with my pc to play on the cloud.Everything was working fine until my controller disconnected itself and started holding whatever input I pressed before it disconnected.I've checked to see if its a problem with...
  7. Xbox controller constantly holding up.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Clean up versions in Windows 10 Backup not working?

Clean up versions in Windows 10 Backup not working?: I have set up my Synology NAS as Raid 1 and backup my data to it using Windows Backup. I am backing up from 3 different drives C: is an SSD and the other 2 are internal hard drives and when I go to clean up old versions I get the error message "Could not clean up file history...
  9. Windows 10 Auto backup not backing up.

Windows 10 Auto backup not backing up.: I have auto backup set to run every 3 hours but it doesn't actually backup. I have "Automatically backup my files" enabled. What should I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-auto-backup-not-backing-up/f54e32bd-1859-421a-b43b-7cf8f8ffae29
  10. Windows 10 Backup without backing up files

Windows 10 Backup without backing up files: Is it possible to backup the windows 10 OS without backing up the files? I tried creating a system image to my external HDD 2 TB with 275 GB unused space, but it won't allow me saying it should at least be 460 GB free. I already backed up the files separately. I just want...