Windows 10: Ghost files on desktop after deletion.

Discus and support Ghost files on desktop after deletion. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I will frequently save an image from a website to my desktop just long enough to drag and drop it into something like Discord to share it and then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by CharlesMcPherson, Apr 25, 2021.

1. Ghost files on desktop after deletion.

I will frequently save an image from a website to my desktop just long enough to drag and drop it into something like Discord to share it and then delete it. After deleting it I then empty my recycling bin. At some point later not sure how long the file will reappear with the original file name but a default image icon instead of the icon being a preview of the image. It appears in the same location on the desktop it was in when deleted. I mention this as I usually move the icon after saving it but before dragging it into Discord. If I try to delete this I get an error say the file can't be

:)

CharlesMcPherson, Apr 25, 2021

2. ghost file on desktop

Hello Bruce,

Thank you for your continued patience on this issue. I would like to assist you further.

If you are unable to remove the file using Explorer, I suggest you to try delete the file using the command prompt. Follow the below steps.

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt.
    • Now browse to the folder where the file is located. You can go to the root of the drive by typing in cd /, followed by
      cd foldername to navigate into directories. Once you are there, type in
      dir to get a listing of all the files.
    • To delete a fie type del “filename”

Hope it helps this time.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, Apr 25, 2021
  3. MohanC Win User
    windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Apr 25, 2021
  4. Ghost files on desktop after deletion.

Cant Delete Files From Desktop

Well, ran into a weird bug with vista, for some reason i cant delete files from desktop, this normaly happens to .exe files, the ONLY fix seems to be to KILL explorer.exe, and delete the file, then restat explorer, anybody got any idea why this happens?

Rebo&Zooty, Apr 25, 2021
Thema:

Ghost files on desktop after deletion.

1. Ghost files on desktop after deletion. - Similar Threads - Ghost files desktop

2. Ghost icon & deleted app stuck on desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ghost icon & deleted app stuck on desktop: I am not sure what's going on but some icons and a deleted app are stuck on my desktop.It becomes messy when new apps are "stacked" on the old ghost icon.Any one knows how to get rid of it?Tried :RebootRe-install Windows 11 keep app and file optionRefresh desktopRestart file...
  3. Ghost icon & deleted app stuck on desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ghost icon & deleted app stuck on desktop: I am not sure what's going on but some icons and a deleted app are stuck on my desktop.It becomes messy when new apps are "stacked" on the old ghost icon.Any one knows how to get rid of it?Tried :RebootRe-install Windows 11 keep app and file optionRefresh desktopRestart file...
  4. How to delete ghost files?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to delete ghost files?: After I tried to uninstall sea of thieves with the Uninstall button in the start menu during its download. the game files remain but windows don't see the game. I don't know where is it. I checked C:\XboxGames and C:\Windows\SystemApps. It's also not in any temporary files....
  5. How to delete ghost files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to delete ghost files?: After I tried to uninstall sea of thieves with the Uninstall button in the start menu during its download. the game files remain but windows don't see the game. I don't know where is it. I checked C:\XboxGames and C:\Windows\SystemApps. It's also not in any temporary files....
  6. How to delete ghost files?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. deleted files now ghosted pm desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    deleted files now ghosted pm desktop: I have deleted several files from my pc Desktop and they now appear and cannot be deleted. My pc is crashing usually about once per day. I would like one drive removing from my PC Completely As i have space and can manage my own stuff thanks .Very irritating ....
  8. The Ghost desktop after update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    The Ghost desktop after update: (context) Hello, I have a problem. I updated my computer before going to bed on the 25 of march the next day I turned on my computer and the desktop was empty except for the web browsers. When I was looking for my desktop files and went to the file location it sent me to a...
  9. Deleted files on desktop re-appear as "ghosts" after fullscreen app

in Windows 10 Customization
    Deleted files on desktop re-appear as "ghosts" after fullscreen app: WIN10 Home, Ver. 20H2 , Build 19042.746 , but problem persists since various versions When I delete files or shortcuts from the desktop, they're gone as they should be. But as soon as I run a program in fullscreen e.g. games, the deleted files re-appear as "ghosts", meaning...
  10. Cannot delete .automaticDestination file / Ghost File.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot delete .automaticDestination file / Ghost File.: Hello, as the title says I cannot delete the .automaticDestination file in: '%AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations' More specifically it's about file: 'f01b4d95cf55d32a'. This file contains shortcuts as seen in 'quick access' and 'frequent places'....