Windows 10: "Ghost" folder icon in File Explorer that cannot be deleted

Discus and support "Ghost" folder icon in File Explorer that cannot be deleted in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I uninstalled Dropbox from several computers, which worked fine on all but one, a desktop PC on the latest version of Win 10. On this PC, it left a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by isaksp00, Jan 21, 2020.

1. isaksp00 Win User

"Ghost" folder icon in File Explorer that cannot be deleted

I uninstalled Dropbox from several computers, which worked fine on all but one, a desktop PC on the latest version of Win 10. On this PC, it left a "ghost" folder icon named "dropbox" that looks like a white document:

"Ghost" folder icon in File Explorer that cannot be deleted 4bce5ba9-f629-49fa-b4bf-cc745bf0ed2c?upload=true.jpg

I cannot delete it, as the right-click menu does not contain any delete option. It does have some properties:

"Ghost" folder icon in File Explorer that cannot be deleted b46ec674-6c96-4114-8600-08a9532a90a7?upload=true.jpg

If I go to the location specified in "users", no such file or folder exists.

How do i delete this? I suspect there is some leftover registry entry, but have no idea where to look to know what to delete or edit. Thanks.

:)

isaksp00, Jan 21, 2020
  2. wolf2009 Win User

How to make vista display same icon size for all opened folders in explorer ?

i dont think this answers the question , how do i make all icons in all folders appear "Large Icons" .

thx tho .

wolf2009, Jan 21, 2020
  3. Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused "Ghost" folder icon in File Explorer that cannot be deleted :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well "Ghost" folder icon in File Explorer that cannot be deleted :eek:hwell:

oli_ramsay, Jan 21, 2020
  4. Kreij Win User

How to make vista display same icon size for all opened folders in explorer ?

Some suggestions

Kreij, Jan 21, 2020
Thema:

1. "Ghost" folder icon in File Explorer that cannot be deleted - Similar Threads - Ghost folder icon

2. Delete "ghost" folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Delete "ghost" folder: Hi,I bought FM24 some weeks ago and on my FM23 Folders I had a huge facepack on a folder called "Graphics" that I wanted to swap with because I don't see the point of touching FM23 for now.The folder itself went to my desktop so I could transfer it to the FM24 folder, but...
  3. Delete "ghost" folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Delete "ghost" folder: Hi,I bought FM24 some weeks ago and on my FM23 Folders I had a huge facepack on a folder called "Graphics" that I wanted to swap with because I don't see the point of touching FM23 for now.The folder itself went to my desktop so I could transfer it to the FM24 folder, but...
  4. Ghost folder?, even system cannot delete

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Ghost folder?, even system cannot delete: Hello, so I have found this folder hanging around on my D:\ drive.Now, I cannot delete it by normal means, because this shows up:I cannot also delete it by File Shredder, because it just stays and renames itself.The system also cannot delete it.How do I delete it?...
  5. Ghost folder?, even system cannot delete

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ghost folder?, even system cannot delete: Hello, so I have found this folder hanging around on my D:\ drive.Now, I cannot delete it by normal means, because this shows up:I cannot also delete it by File Shredder, because it just stays and renames itself.The system also cannot delete it.How do I delete it?...
  6. Ghost folder?, even system cannot delete

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Cannot delete .automaticDestination file / Ghost File.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot delete .automaticDestination file / Ghost File.: Hello, as the title says I cannot delete the .automaticDestination file in: '%AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations' More specifically it's about file: 'f01b4d95cf55d32a'. This file contains shortcuts as seen in 'quick access' and 'frequent places'....
  8. A ghost folder - stuck and cannot be deleted

A ghost folder - stuck and cannot be deleted: Today's greatest bug award goes to this one - A folder is stuck in the system and cannot be deleted because it is ''not found''. Simple suggestions like reboot and safe mode are, of course, useless....
  9. How To Delete Folders and Files Explorer Cannot Find

How To Delete Folders and Files Explorer Cannot Find: Recently, I reorganized my Pictures folder. What was once in a sub-folder titled "AA. People and Pets" was copied into a new folder "Family". Once the transfer was made and verified, I deleted "AA. People and Pets." "Family" now contains about 1500 family photos. Weird...
  10. File Explorer: Disable dragged-file's ghostly icon image

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer: Disable dragged-file's ghostly icon image: Anytime I drag a file(s) in a folder window, a translucent, oversized icon follows the mouse pointer, partially obscuring up to 4 nearby items. Can this effect be disabled? I'm sure somebody at MS thought it was slick idea, but it just gives me a headache. I haven't found...