Windows 10: Ghost frame on desktop. help!

Discus and support Ghost frame on desktop. help! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, do you have anything generating drop shadows? Y'z shadow or maybe Stardock ShadowFX? I found the former, until I set an exception, left these... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by superbdave, Aug 16, 2015.

1. dalchina New Member

Ghost frame on desktop. help!

Hi, do you have anything generating drop shadows?
    Y'z shadow or maybe Stardock ShadowFX?

I found the former, until I set an exception, left these behind associated with universal apps.
    Does terminating ApplicationFrameHost.exe clear the empty frames?

dalchina, Oct 7, 2015
  2. Faskil Win User

I don't use any of those but I'll try the ApplicationFrameHost.exe termination next time the bug occurs. Thanks.

Faskil, Oct 7, 2015
  3. Faskil Win User
    Just tested this when a ghost frame appeared, it changed nothing.

Faskil, Oct 11, 2015
  4. Edwin New Member

Perhaps I should direct this at the OP but I'll direct it at everyone.
    Where did the wallpaper come from? Could the wallpaper cache be corrupt?

Edwin, Oct 11, 2015
  5. dalchina New Member
    Hi Faskil, that it's not associated with ApplicationFramehost.exe suggests it's not associated with one of the universal apps, for example.

I was trying to think what reveals hidden windows that I used a very long time ago..
    You could try Nirsoft's Winlister (it's specified to Win 8, runs for me)- it shows which windows are hidden. Might give a clue...
    WinLister v1.22 - display the list of opened windows on your system

dalchina, Oct 11, 2015
  6. dalchina New Member
    Noted you seem to have set aside Amythyr's and satchmo's ideas.... Irrespective of the fact it seems random, Windows without anything added, wouldn't do this. So a process of elimination..

(Note- might even be sthg you have scheduled (but noted it seems random so unlikely), which Amythyr's comment wouldn't include).

dalchina, Oct 11, 2015
  7. Faskil Win User
    Faskil, Oct 11, 2015
  8. bshrum Win User

I just wanted to comment that this is not an isolated issue, I am experiencing the exact same issue and so far, none of the suggested solutions worked. Has anyone had any success in figuring out what these frames are? They don't seem to detract from performance at all, but they are certainly annoying.

bshrum, Nov 12, 2015
  9. dalchina New Member
    Have you tried what I suggested: You could try Nirsoft's Winlister (it's specified to Win 8, runs for me)- it shows which windows are hidden. Might give a clue...
    WinLister v1.22 - display the list of opened windows on your system

The only time I've experienced this myself was as an artefact created by Y'z shadow (drop shadows) related to the universal apps (ApplicationFrameHost.exe).

dalchina, Nov 12, 2015
  10. bshrum Win User
    I used Winlister to determine that it is an Explorer frame, Windows Explorer I think it said, but it actually had the designation of "Hidden." When I stopped that process the frame disappeared. I haven't been able to repeat the occurrence, so I'm still trying to ascertain the cause.

bshrum, Nov 12, 2015
  11. dalchina New Member
    I think it's likely to be tricky, but you can start by being observant as to when this occurs and what has just happened- note the times, recent events.

As for a technical approach to determining parent process, see for example
    How to Determine the Parent Process of a Running Process in Windows? - The Winhelponline Blog

- download the Sysinternals utilities so you are ready.

Note that using these means handling very lengthy logs- Process Monitor has extremely comprehensive filtering, but it quickly takes you into unfamiliar terminology.

If the shadow frames occurred at all regularly you could obviously try a process of elimination, but that's probably not feasible here.

dalchina, Nov 12, 2015
  12. chevhi Win User
    I know this is an old thread, but I signed up just to answer this because I spent a lot of time looking for a solution and ended up finding one on my own. The problem is AirDroid. I noticed the OP had the AirDroid icon on his taskbar which lead me to uninstall it and wouldn't you know... It went away.

chevhi, Jul 5, 2016
  13. kevowl Win User

Spot on! Just closing AirDroid got rid of them. Have you told Airdroid? Thanks. Kev

kevowl, Jul 28, 2016
  14. XtremeMaC Win User
    well I just started having this issue and I have airdroid as well. thanks for finding the culprit!

XtremeMaC, Aug 1, 2016
  15. thinhtien Win User
    Made an account to upvote this as the solution on my PC, good job

thinhtien, Jan 11, 2018
Thema:

1. Ghost frame on desktop. help! - Similar Threads - Ghost frame desktop

2. Ghost of a shortcut on desktop, undeleteable?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Ghost of a shortcut on desktop, undeleteable?: It's a .url file titled 2z0IupRlVRlDN5r2IVqHyN. Trying to delete it the normal way brings back a pop up labeled "Item Not Found" saying "Could not find this item. This is no longer located in C:\Users\David\Desktop. Verify the item's location and try again." 04/07/2021...
  3. Ghost monitor problem second desktop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Ghost monitor problem second desktop: One day, I smashed my keyboard and some command triggered my whole screen to move right and another desktop showed up, without my open softwares on the taskbar. I could get it back to the "first screen" by opening Discrod on the miniature icons on the far right of the...
  4. The Ghost desktop after update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    The Ghost desktop after update: (context) Hello, I have a problem. I updated my computer before going to bed on the 25 of march the next day I turned on my computer and the desktop was empty except for the web browsers. When I was looking for my desktop files and went to the file location it sent me to a...
  5. Ghost icons on desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Ghost icons on desktop: Hi, This bug appear everytime an icons goes on my desktop, it appear even just right after a clean install of windows. As you can see in this video, i need to refresh manually my desktop to take them out. https://imgur.com/a/6S435WT...
  6. Ghost icons on desktop

Ghost icons on desktop: Hi, This bug appear everytime an icons goes on my desktop, it appear even just right after a clean install of windows. As you can see in the video, i need to refresh my desktop to take them out. I tried to change my SSD but it didn't worked. I'm so lost, if you guys can...
  7. Help! Frame on buttons.

Help! Frame on buttons.: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/YuriRS [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gyqng7/help_frame_on_buttons/
  8. Help me! Ghost system!

Help me! Ghost system!: Guys, I have a huge doubt. I left the lid of my notebook (Lenovo Ideapad touch screen) open, but over time the lock screen was activated and automatically went into standby, but a few hours later it turned on by itself, without my touching it. Not to mention that there was...
  9. Ghost icons appearing on desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Ghost icons appearing on desktop: Very recently, I have gotten over 40 ghost like icons on the desktop, intermingled with the normal icons. I have moved the regular icons to one side of my monitor with the new ones on the left side. I call them ghosts because they are somewhat blurry and the notations are...
  10. How to remove a "frame" on my desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    How to remove a "frame" on my desktop: Recently I have seen that my laptop desktop seems to have a "frame" on it. I have marked the frame on the attached screenshot. I can't seem to get rid of it. Any ideas (1) how it happened, and (2) how to get rid of it permanently? It has no effect (except for my...