Windows 10: Ghost Taskbar Icons

Discus and support Ghost Taskbar Icons in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, I just found out that I can customize my taskbar, which I tried doing. However, now I have ghost taskbar icons which I can't seem to get rid of. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by GabeNachand, Mar 19, 2021.

1. Ghost Taskbar Icons

Hi, I just found out that I can customize my taskbar, which I tried doing. However, now I have ghost taskbar icons which I can't seem to get rid of. I turned off the Show Cortana button, Show Task View Button, and set the Search to Show search icon. Then, I moved my icons to the center of the taskbar, and then locked the taskbar. Then, these weird ghost icons started appearing, I tried changing the default Windows mode colors, the default app mode colors, tried turning the Transparency effects on and off, and I tried doing the accent colors thing, but nothing worked. I also tried using different themes other than the custom one I have set up, and still the ghost task icons remained. Upon changing the Scale and Layout option from 225% to 100%, it became apparent that there was not only ghost taskbar icons, but an entire ghost taskbar itself, however, the ghost taskbar is a solid white color, as opposed to the greyish white of my normal taskbar with the normal icons that I can click on and use. I can't click on the ghost taskbar, or the icons, or any part of it, it's just there like a screen burn or something of the sort which I've only seen on really old tv's after you leave it stuck on a screen for way too long, which is not the case for why the ghost taskbar and icons appeared. I tried restarting my computer multiple times, and that also didn't help. I wish I could take a snip of what I'm talking about, but when I try doing that, the ghost taskbar and icons appear to not even be there on the snip that I took of it. How would I solve this problem?

:)

GabeNachand, Mar 19, 2021
  2. Yaqub K Win User

System Icons on taskbar

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

Are you referring to the clock system icon on the taskbar?

If so, I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below:

• Click on the search bar on the taskbar.

• Type system icons.

• Under Turn System Icons ON or OFF, turn On the Clock and check with the issue.

Hope it helps.

Yaqub K, Mar 19, 2021
  3. razam Win User
    Phantom/Ghost icons on the taskbar

Hello everybody,

I am having an issue with Mozilla Thunderbird. During installation on Windows 10, I chose to pin it to the taskbar.

Today, I tried to unpin Thunderbird from the taskbar; unfortunately this resulted in a phantom/ghost icon. I can move its position on the taskbar in the same way as other icons. I can right-click on it, which brings up the same Thunderbird context menu as before. However, a left-click does not start Thunderbird (or do anything).

After this, I repinned Thunderbird to the taskbar but that did not help. At this point I had two icons for Thunderbird: a phantom/ghost and one that worked as it should.

Now, I try to unpin the working Thunderbird icon. The result is two phantom/ghost icons for Thunderbird.

I have no idea what is going on. Please help. Thank you!

Kind regards,
    Mark

PS: If you could direct me to a built-in GUI taskbar manager of some kind that would be awesome!

razam, Mar 19, 2021
  4. Ghost Taskbar Icons

Ghost Taskbar Button

Hi Blake,

For us to isolate your concern with the invisible mail icon on your taskbar, we would like to know the following:

• Were there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue?
    • To make sure that we have not missed on anything, what troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Is this the first time you experienced the issue?
    • Send us a screenshot of your taskbar.

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, Mar 19, 2021
Thema:

Ghost Taskbar Icons

1. Ghost Taskbar Icons - Similar Threads - Ghost Taskbar Icons

2. Ghost icons on taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ghost icons on taskbar: After upgrading from Windows 10 to 11 I noticed that I had some ghost icons from Windows 10 still on the taskbar in the bottom left hand side. I have tried everything I can think of including a complete reinstall of Windows 11. Can anyone help? I am using an Alienware M15 R2....
  3. Ghost icons on taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ghost icons on taskbar: After upgrading from Windows 10 to 11 I noticed that I had some ghost icons from Windows 10 still on the taskbar in the bottom left hand side. I have tried everything I can think of including a complete reinstall of Windows 11. Can anyone help? I am using an Alienware M15 R2....
  4. Ghost taskbar icons.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ghost taskbar icons.: As we all know Windows 11 comes with taskbar center alligned with all the apps and its icons. My Windows version :- Windows 11 Home Upgraded from Windows 10 home . And I have noticed a bug which I can re-create it anytime and it occurs all time. So basically when I bring my...
  5. Ghost taskbar icons.

Ghost taskbar icons.: As we all know Windows 11 comes with taskbar center alligned with all the apps and its icons. My Windows version :- Windows 11 Home Upgraded from Windows 10 home . And I have noticed a bug which I can re-create it anytime and it occurs all time. So basically when I bring my...
  6. Ghost icons in taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ghost icons in taskbar: All of a sudden some apps in my taskbar have become invisible and I've tried tons and tons of ways to fix it but it just doesn't work... I tried the Windows Explorer Kill "solution" , the iconcache.db clearer and yes PNG files do work and I don't need to do the registry...
  7. Ghost icons in taskbar

Ghost icons in taskbar: All of a sudden some apps in my taskbar have become invisible and I've tried tons and tons of ways to fix it but it just doesn't work... I tried the Windows Explorer Kill "solution" , the iconcache.db clearer and yes PNG files do work and I don't need to do the registry...
  8. Ghost icons in taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
  9. ghost icons

in Windows 10 Support
    ghost icons: All of a sudden, when I open and excel or word file, the file opens corrently but on the screen is a lightly shaded pop up of the same file icon. It's weird and annoying. Any ideas on how to make it stop? Windows 10 build 176.18.1000 146926
  10. Phantom/Ghost icons on the taskbar

in Browsers and Email
    Phantom/Ghost icons on the taskbar: Hello everybody, I am having an issue with Mozilla Thunderbird. During installation on Windows 10, I chose to pin it to the taskbar. Today, I tried to unpin Thunderbird from the taskbar; unfortunately this resulted in a phantom/ghost icon. I can move its position on the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. taskbar ghost icons monitor