Windows 10: Gibberish or question marks ? in some folder and file names

Discus and support Gibberish or question marks ? in some folder and file names in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; The File Explorer windows 10 on my Lenovo Laptop shows at least one folder with music files in which the folder and file names appear in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JamesLoewenstein, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Gibberish or question marks ? in some folder and file names

The File Explorer windows 10 on my Lenovo Laptop shows at least one folder with music files in which the folder and file names appear in Greek/gibberish characters. Some pdf file names appear as question marks within a diamond shape! Most probably originally all these have Hebrew names. There may be additional Hebrew? folders/files with the name problem, which I did not yet come through. In contrast, some other pdf and music files are OK/readable.

The language setting is English by default with Hebrew language pack.

I have screened the Internet and tried out all kinds of changes in language settings among which for UNI-code and non-Unicode programs, have made a restore and uninstall restore, to check whether this occurred due to an update; added/replaced the Windows fonts; etc., etc., but to no avail.

Perhaps someone may suggest another and working solution.

Thanks, James

:)

JamesLoewenstein, Mar 29, 2020
  2. RhinoCan Win User

The folder names on my external hard drive have turned to gibberish

I have a nearly new portable external hard drive which is organized into 30 or 40 folders, each with further files in it. The names of the folders on this hard drive have turned to gibberish and I have no idea how to fix this problem. Here is a screen cap showing the problem:

Gibberish or question marks ? in some folder and file names [​IMG]

For what it's worth the folder names are also gibberish when I view them from a command prompt. And here's what happens if I click on one of the folders to see what's in it:

Gibberish or question marks ? in some folder and file names [​IMG]

I've tried running Avast and MalwareBytes scans but they don't find anything wrong.

Is there anything I can do to repair my folder names and access the files once again?

I've only had the external hard drive a few weeks.

RhinoCan, Mar 29, 2020
  3. RhinoCan Win User
    The folder names on my external hard drive have turned to gibberish

I plugged it into another laptop and the folder names were gibberish there too. I ran chkdsk and it found many errors. I ran chkdsk /f and it found the same errors. The errors referred to lost chains and cross-linked chains. After doing the "repairs", my PortableHD02 folder had disappeared entirely!!!

Just for interest sake, I copied a small folder with pictures in it onto the hard drive and found that I *could* see the files in it and the names were not gibberish. But it seems that I've lost EVERYTHING in the folder that I wanted to keep.

What the **CK caused this problem and why did everything I do to fix it just make it worse???

RhinoCan, Mar 29, 2020
  4. dark2099 Win User

Gibberish or question marks ? in some folder and file names

Generating a .txt based file list in Windows 7

I want to be able to generate a .txt file that lists all the files and folders in a specific folder on my PC, but don't know the name of any programs that do that. Searched on google a bit and came up with this guide, but it's for XP and I can't seem to find some of the folder options to modify the .bat file. Any suggestions? Thanks

http://www.theeldergeek.com/file_list_generator.htm

EDIT: The .bat file will do what I want if it is in the folder I want to do it in, but the option I want to add is having the right click option that it shows.

dark2099, Mar 29, 2020
Thema:

Gibberish or question marks ? in some folder and file names

1. Gibberish or question marks ? in some folder and file names - Similar Threads - Gibberish question marks

2. Files and folders with $ in the name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files and folders with $ in the name: My C: drive SSD was replaced by Dell. All of my applications and files were lost. I can reinstall all the applications, but the files I saved at S3 are funky to use. Many folders have "$" appended to the folder name. Then under the folder many files also have "$" appended to...
  3. USB folder changed to gibberish name and cannot be accessed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB folder changed to gibberish name and cannot be accessed: I got some of the files and folders on my USB flash drive changed to gibberish name with date modified in the future such as 2079 and now I cannot access them cannot open, copy or delete. When I tried cmd window, it says the target of the symbolic link does not exist....
  4. USB folder changed to gibberish name and cannot be accessed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB folder changed to gibberish name and cannot be accessed: I got some of the files and folders on my USB flash drive changed to gibberish name with date modified in the future such as 2079 and now I cannot access them cannot open, copy or delete. When I tried cmd window, it says the target of the symbolic link does not exist....
  5. Typing the question mark.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Typing the question mark.: I am not able to type question mark. I was able to a few hours back. I don't know what happened. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/typing-the-question-mark/7a633df9-e4f4-40cb-ac78-56b0e82c929d
  6. Disappear files and folder name even in some software

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disappear files and folder name even in some software: i cant fix it, even when open cmd, text wont appear [ATTACH][ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disappear-files-and-folder-name-even-in-some/a750c87f-d04b-48ea-afa3-facf217d4c4b
  7. Printing pdf file name gives gibberish

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Printing pdf file name gives gibberish: Since an update of Windows 10 a few weeks ago, printing a PDF file via "Microsoft Print to PDF" does not allow typing in a name of the PDF file created. The characters typed for the name of the new PDF file have nothing to do with the characters appearing on the screen. I am...
  8. Question mark on HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Question mark on HDD: my hdd has a blue question mark symbol on it. i cant access the drive and it is not shown on the disk management https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/question-mark-on-hdd/18387b81-7a88-4936-92ef-41552dbaf302
  9. The folder names on my external hard drive have turned to gibberish

in Windows 10 Support
    The folder names on my external hard drive have turned to gibberish: I have a nearly new portable external hard drive which is organized into 30 or 40 folders, each with further files in it. The names of the folders on this hard drive have turned to gibberish and I have no idea how to fix this problem. Here is a screen cap showing the problem:...
  10. Search file names question!

in Windows 10 Support
    Search file names question!: Hello! Currently, when I search within folders, it only searches the beginning of the file names. Is there a way to search within the file names? Like you can when you press ctrl + f in a body of text. Thank you!! 51660

Users found this page by searching for:

1. File name not readable win10

2. file names is not readable win10

3. greek named files turned to jibberish in windows 10