Windows 10: Give Access to -> Advanced Sharing, not working on my network

Discus and support Give Access to -> Advanced Sharing, not working on my network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My Network Router (both computers connected with WiFi) PC1 , ZOTAC NANO (Windows 10 Pro Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.592)) - this is my "file server"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Sybaris, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Sybaris Win User

Give Access to -> Advanced Sharing, not working on my network

My Network

Router (both computers connected with WiFi)

PC1 , ZOTAC NANO (Windows 10 Pro Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.592)) - this is my "file server" with a large SSD and external HD

PC2, SURFACE BOOK, (Windows 10 Pro Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.592))

When I try to share the external drive D: on PC1 I do the following:
    Right Click D: -> Give Access to -> Advanced Sharing -> Advanced Sharing -> TICK "Share this folder" -> Permissions -> Everyone (Full control ON), (Change ON), (READ ON)

Give Access to -> Advanced Sharing, not working on my network [​IMG]

I then go to PC2 and do the following:
    In File Explorer under "Network" I can see and click on PC1 called "HQ-ZOTAC".
    My share is listed as "D"
    I click on "D" and get the message "You do not have permission to access \\Hq-zotac\d. Contact your network administrator to request access."

Both computers are part of the default named "WORKGROUP"
    Private Network discovery is ON, on both computers
    Guest or Public Network discovery is ON, on both computers
    Public folder sharing is ON, on both computers
    The WiFi connection is set to "Private" network profile on both computers

Extra information:
    I cannot use the Sharing Wizard on the root of the D: drive, but I can use it on any folder residing on the D: drive. When I share a folder on D: using the Sharing Wizard PC2 can access that folder just fine.

:)

Sybaris, Jan 27, 2020
  2. DTG1 Win User

Cannot access shared network drive

Personally, I wouldnt use Everyone. If anyone hacks into you, they have full access to everything and can demolish everything on your raid. I would rather set up accounts and access separately for each person. That way, I know who did all that damage. In the end with a little extra work, I feel more secure by using Authenticated Users.

If this helps.
    step 1 create non-microsoft account and without email and address without admin rights
    step 2 share a drive or folder to specific user account (if Everyone is listed, remove it)
    step 3 set security > add Authenticated Users (if more than 1 account) or add specific users
    step 3a remove Everyone from list
    step 3b uncheck full control and write for all items listed except SYSTEM and Admin account.
    step 4 right click Start > Computer Management > System Tools > Shared Folders > Shares ... to verify settings and change anything else. You can also see the number of connections to each share here.

3. Cannot access shared network drive

I could scream! so much time wasted on this stupid error, as if time is not precious enough!
    It probably would work fine if I could see the other computer! But I cannot see the other computer!

sharonspost, Jan 27, 2020
  4. Mithin_EJ Win User

Error 0x80004005 when attempting to access Network share

Hi djeyewater,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

I understand that it can get difficult at times when your network Share. Accessing shared folders or network locations in Windows is never easy. Whether you’re at home or at work, sharing resources is always more complicated than
    it should be. As classic example is the ‘Windows cannot access computer 0x80004005’ error. However, I recommend you to follow the below steps.

1. Is that computer connected with the domain network?
    2. Were there any changes made to the operating system recently?
    3. Do you have any security software installed on the computer?
    If you open File Explorer, go to
    Network, and see an error message ("Network discovery is turned off…."), you'll need to turn on Network discovery to see devices on the network that are sharing files. I suggest you to follow the below steps.

We can go ahead and try to enable the Network Discovery from Advanced Sharing Settings.

Step 1: Turn on or off Network Discovery in Windows 10.

1. Type network in the search box and choose Network and Sharing Center in the list to open it.
    2. Select Change advanced sharing settings to move on.
    3. Choose Turn on network discovery
      or Turn off network discovery in the settings, and tap
      Save changes.

Step 2: Check if the feature is enabled.

1. Open Control Panel.
    2. Then click on all Control Panel Items.
    3. Then click on Programs and features.
    4. Then on the left hand side, click on Turn Windows features on or off.
    5. Windows Feature box will open. Please scroll down and under SMB 1.0 CIFS File Sharing Support, check the boxes next to SMB 1.0/CIFS Client and SMB 1.0/ CIFS Server. If the boxes are already ticked, please unchecked the box and check
      it again.
    6. It will ask you to restart your Computer. Please Restart it.

Step 3: Check if all the required services are running.

1. Now we will need to check four services.

2. Press Windows key + R to open Run. Then type "Services.msc" in the run box and hit enter.

The names of the services which you will need to check are:

• Function Discovery Provide Host.
    • Function Discovery Resource Publication.
    • SSDP Discovery.
    • UPnP Device Host.
    • Also Check for DHCP Client and DNS Client.
    4. Right click on the above services and then go to properties.

5. Under General tab, make sure that the Startup type is automatic and Service status is running.

6. Then go to recovery tab and change all the entries (next to 1st failure, 2nd failure and Subsequent failure) to Restart the Service.

I also recommend you to follow this article
    Changes to file sharing over a network
    in Windows 10.

Hope it helps,

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking Yes Or No.

Mithin_EJ, Jan 27, 2020
Thema:

1. Give Access to -> Advanced Sharing, not working on my network - Similar Threads - Access Advanced Sharing

2. Problem with access to network shares

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with access to network shares: Hello, I have a problem with network shares. I will try to describe the problem the best way I can: I share some folders from a Windows 2019 server: \\serverA.domain.local\folder1 \\serverA.domain.local\folder2 \\serverA.domain.local\folder3 Most of the users access the...
  3. Problem with access to network shares

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with access to network shares: Hello, I have a problem with network shares. I will try to describe the problem the best way I can: I share some folders from a Windows 2019 server: \\serverA.domain.local\folder1 \\serverA.domain.local\folder2 \\serverA.domain.local\folder3 Most of the users access the...
  4. Network parameters for advanced share on network drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network parameters for advanced share on network drives: I have an unknown problem on one of my FIVE PC's connected to the same LAN.One of them the most used Main PC gets its NETWORK DISCOVERY DESACTIVATED and auto network device configuration.I tried a certain time to work in private network mode not recommanded for the firewall...
  5. Network parameters for advanced share on network drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network parameters for advanced share on network drives: I have an unknown problem on one of my FIVE PC's connected to the same LAN.One of them the most used Main PC gets its NETWORK DISCOVERY DESACTIVATED and auto network device configuration.I tried a certain time to work in private network mode not recommanded for the firewall...
  6. network sharing / access

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    network sharing / access: [ATTACH] I've clicked and searched folders, explorer, sharing, users, advanced etc. and all I know to look at for hours. I can't access Jason at all, see this message. I can see the third computer and can access the \\users\public folder - on it. His computer name is -2019...
  7. Advanced network sharing - deciding - ghost in the PC

Advanced network sharing - deciding - ghost in the PC: Hello - first post Everytime I go to change advnace sharing to turn network discovery on and save changes It boots me out of the gui back to desktop and will not save the change I have tried running it as admin no same result My android tablet can no longer find my pc...
  8. Network/advanced Shares

Network/advanced Shares: Is it possible to share a folder (via properties to sharing tab) that is owned by TrustedInstaller, or do I have to take ownership just like some of the folders? Please Note: I am not trying nor attempting to destroy my computer in any way shape or form, I am only asking...
  9. Advanced Network and Sharing Settings changes not working

Advanced Network and Sharing Settings changes not working: I have a PC which was upgraded from Windows 8.1 (no, clean install is not an option on this machine) So the problem is that any changes I make in the Advanced Sharing Settings in Network and Sharing Centre are getting changed but their effects are not taking place. For...
  10. BSOD accessing a network share

BSOD accessing a network share: I have a PC running Windows 10 (upgraded from Windows 7). I also have a network disk connected to the Apple Airport base station. The disk is formatted as SMB share and the Airport handles it without any problems. The disk is accessible by any other computer I have (2 Mac...