Windows 10: Give program all defaults on 1709+

Discus and support Give program all defaults on 1709+ in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello, I'm trying to give specific programs all its defaults. Prior to 1709 you could access the old UI with the below in run. control /name... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by NuMs, Jul 25, 2019.

1. NuMs Win User

Give program all defaults on 1709+

Hello,

I'm trying to give specific programs all its defaults.

Prior to 1709 you could access the old UI with the below in run.

control /name Microsoft.DefaultPrograms /page pageDefaultProgram

But that doesn't work from 1709+, seems they have completely removed the old UI and in the new UI they have removed (or never had) the "set all defaults" option.

So is there any other way I can give a program all its defaults?

:)

2. kormath Win User

Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done Give program all defaults on 1709+ :) I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, Jul 25, 2019
  3. Default programs are not working.

I recently received and update for my Windows 7 system and an automatic update for my Windows 10 system. Since then, default programs have been changed. The programs that were the default programs are no longer in the default program list. (ie. Word,
    Excel, Access and a variety of other programs.)

Clicking on Settings, Default Programs and Set Default Programs produces a list of 13 programs. There use to be and should be many more. Why screw with us like this with updates? PR is at an all time low.

I can find no way to add them back into the default list. Therefore, I can not change the default program to my choice. It looks like Edge is used to display most everything. Google.doc also used at times. Both of these programs are of an inferior design
    and usability.

Once again, it looks like Microsoft and Bill Gates have struck again. Does anybody have any solutions or suggestions to try?

lylethethumb, Jul 25, 2019
  4. Give program all defaults on 1709+

Can a file extension(.flv) be added to Default Program Associations.

Hi Fred,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues associating a particular file extension with a program on Windows 10. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

To assist you better, please provide the information:

When you say that "Default Program Associations", are you referring to the list of default applications in default programs settings?

I want you to be informed that all the file extensions is listed in the default program settings which is displayed under
    Associate a file type or protocol with a program.

In default program list, all the programs or application will be listed. Then we can select each program as default program for opening a particular file.

I suggest you to refer to the below steps to make default program for a particular file extension.

1. Type "Control Panel" without the quotes in search box and click on it.

2. Click on Programs.

3. Then click on Default Programs and click on Choose Default for this Programs.

4. Select .flv file from the list.

Also you can try other steps to associate the a particular extenstion with the program.

1. Type "Control Panel" without the quotes in search box and click on it.

2. Click on Programs.

3. Then click on Associate a file type or protocol with a program
    and search for .flv extension from the list.

4. Click on .flv and then click on Change Program.

Reply to us with the information, so that we can assist you better.

Let us know if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Jul 25, 2019
Thema:

Give program all defaults on 1709+

1. Give program all defaults on 1709+ - Similar Threads - program defaults 1709+

2. Windows Default Programs all screwed up

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Default Programs all screwed up: So, because of certain programs I use (and general laziness) I continue to use both Windows 7 and Windows 10. After a bit on 7, I booted back to Windows 10, ran some updates, started doing some stuff. I then just went to open calculator, and what popped up in the start menus...
  3. "Set default programs by app" Not showing all programs

in Windows 10 Customization
    "Set default programs by app" Not showing all programs: Hi, I have been trying to set the default app for certain file types and having no luck with slightly obscure/unpopular programs. Notepad++ will not appear when I try to set it for .txt files, and MusicBee will not appear for any music file. This happens when trying to...
  4. Searching for programs in start menu gives default icons

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Searching for programs in start menu gives default icons: I just reset my PC last night because a recent windows update caused an INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE loop (thanks Microsoft!). Now, after reinstalling everything, my icons look like this (https://imgur.com/fhwkjyQ). I've tried to clear the icon cache multiple times, restart,...
  5. Default programs doesn't show list all installed programs

in Windows 10 Customization
    Default programs doesn't show list all installed programs: How to choose multiple media apps to open different audio file types? i want one app to open .mp3 and a different app to open .wav 1 Choose default by type 2 NONE of the apps in the list are what I want and only option "look for app in store" **** not find the already...
  6. Default programs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default programs: I just reinstalled Windows10 with latest updates and now when I go to Settings to set my defaults specifically Photos - ThumbsPlus , ThumbsPlus does not show up as a selection. The option to select another program from this PC is no longer there, the only options are various...
  7. Give program all defaults on 1709+

in Windows 10 Support
    Give program all defaults on 1709+: Hello, I'm trying to give specific programs all its defaults. Prior to 1709 you could access the old UI with the below in run. control /name Microsoft.DefaultPrograms /page pageDefaultProgram But that doesn't work from 1709+, seems they have completely removed the old UI...
  8. Default programs

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Default programs: I have set up my default browser properly and when I start it, after startup, it asks me t;o make it the default browser; I have to set it up again and I still get the "make me the default browser" . I know how to do it properly, I've been doing it for years, also the...
  9. Default Programs??

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Default Programs??: I'm making a Windows 10 Pro image and I want to make some programs I installed from the administrator account to be default for all users that sign in from our active directory. Is this possible just by using the admin account?? 38787
  10. 'Settings' Default is not= Control Panel 'Default Programs' - All

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    'Settings' Default is not= Control Panel 'Default Programs' - All: Hi, An observation, not a question. I wanted to set Thunderbird as my default email client again (after having reset defaults whilst looking for a problem). So I set it as my default email client in 'System', 'Default Apps'. This proved not to be the same as using...