Windows 10: Giving away external drive, how to make reasonably sure the data is not recoverable

Discus and support Giving away external drive, how to make reasonably sure the data is not recoverable in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi all, I have a 14TB external drive that I don't need don't ask and want to give it away or sell it. The drive has only been used once to backup... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by csjoh, Apr 9, 2021.

1. csjoh Win User

Giving away external drive, how to make reasonably sure the data is not recoverable

Hi all,

I have a 14TB external drive that I don't need don't ask and want to give it away or sell it.

The drive has only been used once to backup my documents and pictures while reinstalling my system, and the data has since been deleted. However, a simple program like Recuva found lots of files when doing a deep scan, so I need to make sure the deleted data is reasonably difficult to get to for most people.

So, we're not doing a 7-pass routine, we're doing something that takes as little time as possible and gives me a reasonable result.

I eventually decided on doing a full-disk Bitlocker-to-Go encryption of the drive, which will take about 17 hours. When that's done, I'll move the drive to a different computer, delete the Bitlockered partition, create a new, unencrypted partition and pack it up.

I know there are other, supposedly safer methods, but is this "good enough" for sanitizing a drive while not spending a week performing the wipe/overwrite?

Thanks for reading.

:)

csjoh, Apr 9, 2021

2. Lost data from hard drive, what to do now?

Well, I'm sorry to hear that it's a WD My Passport that failed on you, @tomhenry ! *Frown Giving away external drive, how to make reasonably sure the data is not recoverable :(
    I'd recommend you to try using a different USB cable with it and see if that will help your system to detect it without it disconnecting.
    I'd also suggest you to go to Disk Management and see how the drive is listed there. It won't hurt to check up on the health and SMART status of the HDD by running the QUICK and EXTENDED tests from the WD's Data LifeGuard Diagnostics. Here's a link to the available software: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=11ZOpD

Give these troubleshooting steps a try and keep us posted with the results!
    SuperSoph_WD

SuperSoph_WD, Apr 9, 2021
  3. External drive

Hi Richard,

There are several factors that can cause your external drive to not read DVDs even though the system is recognizing the device. This could be caused by a driver that needs to updated or corrupted files. For us to resolve your concern, kindly answer the questions
    below:

• Just to confirm, the device that is not working properly is a external DVD optical drive?
    • Were there any recent changes or updates installed on your computer?
    • Have you tried to plug the external drive to a different port on your computer?

As a initial recommendation, we suggest that your run the built in troubleshooter in Windows 10. Kindly refer to the steps below:

• Type “Troubleshooting” in the Search bar and press Enter.
    • Click on “View All” in the top left corner.
    • This will display the list of troubleshooters which are built-in in the computer. You can click on
      Hardware and Devices from the list and you can run the troubleshooter.

This will check for common errors that affect hardware on your computer and attempts to correct them.

We look forward to your response after completing the steps.

Jordan Dom, Apr 9, 2021
  4. Giving away external drive, how to make reasonably sure the data is not recoverable

Seagate External Hard Drive

Hi Barbara,

Hardware failure or corruption within your system files are some of the possible reasons why you are experiencing an issue with accessing your external hard drive. For us to provide an accurate solution, we would need you to answer the following questions:

• Which build, version and edition of Windows 10?
    • Are you experiencing the same issue when you are trying to access the external hard drive using another PC?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest running the automated troubleshooter for hardware. Follow these steps to do so:

• Open the Control Panel.
    • Using the search box at the upper right corner of the window, type troubleshooting.
    • From the search results, click on Troubleshooting.
    • Click on Hardware and Sound and then choose Hardware and Devices.
    • Once done, restart your computer and then check if the same issue persists.

We are looking forward to your response.

Darleen Pen, Apr 9, 2021
Thema:

Giving away external drive, how to make reasonably sure the data is not recoverable

1. Giving away external drive, how to make reasonably sure the data is not recoverable - Similar Threads - Giving away external

2. How to make it go away ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to make it go away ?: Hello please someone help me understand why this pc hardware diagnostic UEFI keeps showing out of nowhere, like whenever I'm using my laptop it'd block and stop working and then it would shut down and this menu with memory test and hard drive test shows up and even when i hit...
  3. How to make it go away ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to make it go away ?: Hello please someone help me understand why this pc hardware diagnostic UEFI keeps showing out of nowhere, like whenever I'm using my laptop it'd block and stop working and then it would shut down and this menu with memory test and hard drive test shows up and even when i hit...
  4. Move data to external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move data to external hard drive.: Hi. My computer drive is really unorganized. I installed a lot of bloat, put things in seemingly random files, and other stuff. I decided that I wanted to use a new hard drive. I have an external 1tb hard drive that I could move all of my drive's contents into. There is one...
  5. Is running chkdsk enough to make sure data is not corrupted?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is running chkdsk enough to make sure data is not corrupted?: I have a Seagate 500GB USB HDD...I was downloading a file with google chrome into the drive and then suddenly my system crashed...I restarted the system and ran the following tests on the disk: 1 chkdsk G: /r 2 Seatools Short Drive Self Test. 3 Seatools Short Generic test....
  6. Giving the laptop away

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Giving the laptop away: Hi, I plan to give my Toshiba laptop away to a national charity. The laptop is running Windows 10 Home [Reset today] downloaded from Cloud for complete erasure of previous details. However because I am shown as Administrator, that appears to be overiding the Reset since...
  7. External Hard Drive becomes RAW for no reason

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard Drive becomes RAW for no reason: Hello. I have been trying to move the files form my internal hard drive to a external 4 TB West Drive Passport. While copying files (more than 20 Gb of data) the transfer freezes and the external drive becomes RAW. I have tryied formatting the disk and repeating the process...
  8. External hard drive giving BSOD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External hard drive giving BSOD: when i plug in my passport ultra 1 tb drive it is giving me the BSOD and when I plug it into another computer it is giving me the same thing. the error message is: 5/22/2020 11:13 AM Windows Error Reporting Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name:...
  9. Make One Drive go away

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Make One Drive go away: I just transferred all of my documents from my old computer to my new one. For some reason it looks like they all went to One Drive. I do not use One Drive as I spend half of my time in areas with no internet access. I want to move all of my files to my computer and not...
  10. Give computer away

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Give computer away: I want to give my computer to someone, how do I remove me as a user (and add them)? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/give-computer-away/3c778260-9916-4a1c-83be-ddd62551dff4"