Windows 10: Giving away my PC to a nephew

Discus and support Giving away my PC to a nephew in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have this old Dell I am shipping to my nephew soon. I'm getting rid of it because of the upgrade hassles and I already have a newer one that updates... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Sidswlan, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Sidswlan Win User

Giving away my PC to a nephew

I have this old Dell I am shipping to my nephew soon. I'm getting rid of it because of the upgrade hassles and I already have a newer one that updates fine. The problem that caused me to want to get rid of it is because every time Windows releases a new version number it would not upgrade the PC automatically, and only installs if I download the media creation tool, use that to download the iso, and click it from file explorer using the option to boot clean. Installing while keeping files takes forever, and ends with an error. It just recently started doing this about two versions of Windows ago.

Now the Win7 I upgraded from is an OEM version THAT I PAID 135 dollars for. It's married to that Dell's motherboard.... so I'm led to believe... but say, if my Nephew enters that key while installing clean/ logging on with his own MS account will it make the OEM license on it null and void or should I just let him use mine while installing clean only?

:)

Sidswlan, Jun 19, 2019
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Giving computer to nephew

Hi Kim,

Reset Windows - that is the most secure way to remove your data form that PC

Press the Shift Key and click Restart

Your PC will boot into the Windows Recovery Environment

Go to Troubleshoot - Advanced Options - Reset this PC

Choose to keep nothing

Then start the Reset

Create a new User Profile for your nephew linked to his Microsoft Account

On another device, log into your Microsoft account online and under devices, remove that PC from your list of devices

Once you nephew logs into his Microsoft Account from that PC, it will appear on his list of Devices 0 this may not happen straight away, but it will happen . . .

DaveM121, Jun 26, 2019
  3. KimCross Win User
    Giving computer to nephew

I'm planning on giving my old computer to my nephew. How do I transfer the Windows 10 license to him. And, what do I need to do besides a "Reset"?

KimCross, Jun 26, 2019
  4. Sidswlan Win User

I have this old Dell I am shipping to my nephew soon. I'm getting rid of it because of the upgrade hassles and I already have a newer one that updates fine. The problem that caused me to want to get rid of it is because every time Windows releases a new
    version number it would not upgrade the PC automatically, and only installs if I download the media creation tool, use that to download the iso, and click it from file explorer using the option to boot clean. Installing while keeping files takes forever,
    and ends with an error. It just recently started doing this about two versions of Windows ago.

Now the Win7 I upgraded from is an OEM version THAT I PAID 135 dollars for. It's married to that Dell's motherboard.... so I'm led to believe... but say, if my Nephew enters that key while installing clean/ logging on with his own MS account will it make
    the OEM license on it null and void or should I just let him use mine while installing clean only?

Sidswlan, Jun 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Giving away my PC to a nephew - Similar Threads - Giving away nephew

2. Grand Price Give Away Notification

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Grand Price Give Away Notification: Hey Guys,Above notification appeared on my laptop for the second time now and I don't know what it is. Possibly a scam or something. Could anyone help on recognizing this please?...
  3. Grand Price Give Away Notification

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Grand Price Give Away Notification: Hey Guys,Above notification appeared on my laptop for the second time now and I don't know what it is. Possibly a scam or something. Could anyone help on recognizing this please?...
  4. Is it safe to give away a bitlocker key related to an old pc.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it safe to give away a bitlocker key related to an old pc.: Hello,Short Intro: Last year, my computer screen was broken by my housemate, we couldn't replace the screen so in order to sort everything out - she sold the old laptop to someone and gave me that money plus some extra to replace the laptop.Now, I have gotten an email from...
  5. Is it safe to give away a bitlocker key related to an old pc.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it safe to give away a bitlocker key related to an old pc.: Hello,Short Intro: Last year, my computer screen was broken by my housemate, we couldn't replace the screen so in order to sort everything out - she sold the old laptop to someone and gave me that money plus some extra to replace the laptop.Now, I have gotten an email from...
  6. Is it safe to give away a bitlocker key related to an old pc.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. windows license in giving away a pc

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    windows license in giving away a pc: Hi, I'm getting a brand new pc and am gifting my old one to my brother. I want to format the drives before I give it to him. Does this erase windows 10 and if/if not will he need to get a new license? It's a volume_mak license. Also will my license stay on the old pc and is...
  8. Giving the laptop away

Giving the laptop away: Hi, I plan to give my Toshiba laptop away to a national charity. The laptop is running Windows 10 Home [Reset today] downloaded from Cloud for complete erasure of previous details. However because I am shown as Administrator, that appears to be overiding the Reset since...
  9. Remove myself as administrator in PC I'm giving away.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Remove myself as administrator in PC I'm giving away.: I did a reset of my PC, but during the Windows install, it required my login. I am the administrator. I'm giving the PC away. So how do I set a default Administrator without an email address? Do I simply remove my profile?...
  10. Give computer away

Give computer away: I want to give my computer to someone, how do I remove me as a user (and add them)? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/give-computer-away/3c778260-9916-4a1c-83be-ddd62551dff4"