Windows 10: Giving old hardrive with bootable windows 10 copy to family member with dieing hard drive...

Discus and support Giving old hardrive with bootable windows 10 copy to family member with dieing hard drive... in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have a family member in my house who's hardrive is on its last legs and i was wanting to give and install my old hardrive but am primarily worried... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by connorbond, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Giving old hardrive with bootable windows 10 copy to family member with dieing hard drive...

I have a family member in my house who's hardrive is on its last legs and i was wanting to give and install my old hardrive but am primarily worried about the license being an issue as they wont be using my Microsoft account.

Some info and my current plan:

The hardrive currently can boot into a valid copy of windows on my new laptop when i plug in the usb enclosure ive put it into though i dont know if its just using the valid copy on the new laptop.

My plan is to write down the license found in the settings and reset the windows install, then set it up for my family member and transfer their files onto it(will plug it into their pc and use their os, vista, to do the transfers) ,next i will perform the hardrive transplant(while also upgrading the ram with my old stick if it is compatible), and finaly cross my fingers and hope i dont see a message stating an invalid copy of windows or whatever.

:)

connorbond, Dec 27, 2018
  2. dhdude Win User

Replacing old hard drive, need way to copy Windows installation across

Hey Guys,
    What would be the best way of copying/imaging the entire contents of an old system drive over to a replacement hard disk for the same machine? I need to copy the Windows installations and all other data to the new drive, and then format the old drive to use as a backup.

Any suggestions? *Smile Giving old hardrive with bootable windows 10 copy to family member with dieing hard drive... :)

dhdude, Dec 27, 2018
  3. ROBERT530 Win User
    how to copy one bootable windows system to a new hard drive and make the new drive bootable in windows 10

i have WINDOWS 10 PRO free edition upgrade from windows 7

i am trying to copy windows 10 pro entire partition to another newer bigger hard drive

all attempts have failed ACRONIS restore failed amoei backupper failed

every attempt to copy bootable windows 10 pro partition to a bigger newer hard drive has failed

formatting does no good even installing a new fresh copy of windows 10 not activated then copying the windows 10

partition over the copy of windows 10 installed on the new hard drive failed

inacessable boot device your computer will now restart

what is it about windows 10 pro that you cannot copy clone an existing bootable copy of windows directly onto another fresh clean hard drive..

why can't i copy clone windows system bootable partition onto another fresh clean hard drive and make it bootable

all i want to do is make another identical bootable copy of my existing windows onto another hard drive..

how difficult is that OR am i just so OLD that i don't know how to do this

ROBERT530, Dec 27, 2018
  4. Agility Win User

Giving old hardrive with bootable windows 10 copy to family member with dieing hard drive...

Multi-bootable USB

Hey guys from TPU, couldn't find any specific thread pertaining to the question asked on title. As mentioned, I'm trying to create a bootable USB, but with many specifics boots available.

I've been trying to create one with multiple boot device including one that enables me to run Windows 10 directly on the USB Thumb Drive but to no avail.

The list of bootable images i'm trying to create are

1. Windows 10 (A full OS running from thumb drive)
    2. Windows 10 ISO (Bootable disk image for fresh install)
    3. MemTest86+

Have tried YUMI or UUI from the website USB PenDrive Linux but as this is my first time, i don't know how am i screwing up or am doing it right.. Anyone got a rough idea on a step by step guide? Thanks!

Agility, Dec 27, 2018
Thema:

Giving old hardrive with bootable windows 10 copy to family member with dieing hard drive...

1. Giving old hardrive with bootable windows 10 copy to family member with dieing hard drive... - Similar Threads - Giving old hardrive

2. Family Member

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Family Member: I created an email for my son under my account when he was born. Now that he's 9 and started using laptop I wanted for him to login to windows using his account. The problem is that his email is linked as a secondary email in my account so it doesn't let me add as a family...
  3. Family Member

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Family Member: I created an email for my son under my account when he was born. Now that he's 9 and started using laptop I wanted for him to login to windows using his account. The problem is that his email is linked as a secondary email in my account so it doesn't let me add as a family...
  4. Can I delete a copy of Windows on an old hard drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I delete a copy of Windows on an old hard drive?: Hello,I just installed my friend's old Seagate HDD into my laptop. It has a copy of Windows 10 from his old laptop before he switched to an SSD. I already have a copy of Windows 11 on my NVMe SSD and I plan to use the HDD to store games. Can I delete the old copy of Windows...
  5. Can I delete a copy of Windows on an old hard drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I delete a copy of Windows on an old hard drive?: Hello,I just installed my friend's old Seagate HDD into my laptop. It has a copy of Windows 10 from his old laptop before he switched to an SSD. I already have a copy of Windows 11 on my NVMe SSD and I plan to use the HDD to store games. Can I delete the old copy of Windows...
  6. Family members

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Family members: I have added my wife as a family member and have received a notification that she has been added as a child. How can I correct it to an adult? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/family-members/88401424-5bce-403a-a5fe-c2dd9ac07f52
  7. dying hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    dying hard drive: My hard drive is dying. Several times each week, it crashes and I get an error message "Hard drive failure. Press F1 to reboot". Sometimes F1 works, sometimes I need to power off and restart, and sometimes I have to boot from a rescue CD. I want to buy a new hard drive and...
  8. I decided to factory reset my old PC to give to a family member, and the windows...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I decided to factory reset my old PC to give to a family member, and the windows...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Nevdog93 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ifynvx/i_decided_to_factory_reset_my_old_pc_to_give_to_a/
  9. wiping one pc to give to another family member

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    wiping one pc to give to another family member: How can I give my pc to my college bound kid without having my files on it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wiping-one-pc-to-give-to-another-family-member/e5d198d1-6cfe-4274-b9ef-3d08231e9e86"
  10. Dying Hard Drive?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Dying Hard Drive?: Over the past two weeks my hard drive has came to concluding evidence that it is dying and I was wondering if there was anyway to fix it. Take a look at my Crystal Disk Info....