Windows 10: Giving up on WIN10 Home

Discus and support Giving up on WIN10 Home in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Last fall I started college in CS and am doing well with the exception of struggling with my WIN10 laptop. I finally uninstalled AVS as I have it on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by coliveira, Jul 22, 2019.

1. coliveira Win User

Giving up on WIN10 Home

Last fall I started college in CS and am doing well with the exception of struggling with my WIN10 laptop.

I finally uninstalled AVS as I have it on my win 7 machine and never had a problem. Come to find out on a latest update (in WIN10 Home you are forced to updates because there is no gpedit.msc to turn it off) AVS and Win Defender started to compete and CPU was at 90% with doing anything (I thought WIN defender was suppose to go to sleep if another VP program is installed) In the process of CPU pegged and getting no user response for 5+ minutes I did a hard reset. Upon reset I found out I corrupts something on the hard reset and had to do a system restore which went ok.

I deinstalled AVS and now my CPU is down to 10-20% and DISK is at 5-10% even after 2 hours after reboot. Gone are the days that your CPU and DISK go idle after some time.

Tried to deinstall Cortana which was using CPU time. Tried the edit register way, reboot and still Cortana is eating CPU time. Boy that utility is a real pain. Always bugging me to give me advice when I dont need it.

Deleted a couple of other background apps the HP installs which were useless apps.

Still at CPU 10% and DISK never goes idle.

Antimalware Service Executable kicks in and seems to be under control.

I had to install telnet, Putty and FileZilla as I need them for a class this fall. I cannot get Putty/SSH to work on this WIN10 machine. Works great on my win7 machine which is connected to the same router. Just another thing to deal with. Hey I'm a CS student so suck it up right? My message to you is tell the people at BestBuy that if you are a student, DONT buy a machine with WIN10 HOME with 4GB mem and all the other manufacturer junk utilities installed.

Most of all hitting the windows ICON key and doing any menu walking is very sluggish.

Finally I am just feed up with university IT telling me I bought a wimpy machine go buy something better.

So I dual booted Ubuntu 18.04 on this machine and now have a machine that works!
    * No sluggish menus
    * Boot quickly and is usable in < 1min (verse 5-10 min for WIN10)
    * Putty/SSH work along with FileZilla,
    * System goes idle seconds after last user task is complete
    * AVS installed and work fine after initials scan (No noticeable performance issues)

I am ready to go for the fall. I now just wish I reformatted my disk first so I dont have all that waste WIN10 partition.

Cheers.

Chuck

:)

coliveira, Jul 22, 2019
  2. user33331 Win User

Win10: windows update stuck at never ending loop ?

When in win10:
    • Update&security -> Windows update -> Finding update... .... .... ....
    Planning to download the latest Win10.ISO (vers.1803) and manually update:
    - Then wait that my ordered new SSD arrives and clone the old HDD to it.

user33331, Jul 22, 2019
  3. DavidY Win User
    Newbie needs advice moving Win8.1 ==> Win10

In your shoes I would
    1. Take a backup of the OS drive with Macrium Reflect, as suggested
    2. Download the ISO and do an Upgrade install (step 7 in this tutorial)
    Macrium gives you a way back if the upgrade doesn't work, and I also think that doing an Upgrade install is probably likely to be your quickest route to being activated on Windows 10 by the deadline.

Once activated, you can consider doing a clean install later but without the time pressure.

DavidY, Jul 22, 2019
  4. Gusgf Win User

Giving up on WIN10 Home

Issues with Win10 Media Creation Tool

Got it working in the end, not sure what happened but now have bootable usb with Win10 on it.

Gusgf, Jul 22, 2019
Thema:

Giving up on WIN10 Home

1. Giving up on WIN10 Home - Similar Threads - Giving WIN10 Home

2. WIn10 Home to Win10 Pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WIn10 Home to Win10 Pro: We had activated copy of Win10 Home, paid for the upgrade to download Win10 Pro, and what was downloaded was Win10 Enterprise which I can not activate. The activation error is not having a valid digital license or product key. How do I get Win10 Pro which I paid for and get...
  3. WIn10 Home to Win10 Pro

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    WIn10 Home to Win10 Pro: We had activated copy of Win10 Home, paid for the upgrade to download Win10 Pro, and what was downloaded was Win10 Enterprise which I can not activate. The activation error is not having a valid digital license or product key. How do I get Win10 Pro which I paid for and get...
  4. WIn10 Home to Win10 Pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Setting up Win10 Pro on a domain after upgrading from Win10 Home?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Setting up Win10 Pro on a domain after upgrading from Win10 Home?: I bought a Dell laptop that had Win10 Home on it and I planned to set it up as a business laptop but I had to upgrade it to Pro inorder to connect it to a domain. I set up a generic local account to upgrade it to Pro, but I am not quite sure how to change the account type to...
  6. Win7 home->Win10 home->Win10 Pro with retail key?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win7 home->Win10 home->Win10 Pro with retail key?: I have a PC that started at Win7 home OEM. It was free upgraded to Win10 home. I purchased a win10 pro retail key. If I use the key, will I end up with a Win10 pro retail? There are benefits to having retail versions....
  7. Win10 Home to Win10 Pro

Win10 Home to Win10 Pro: I cannot access the original restore point to go back to Win10 Home when I put in a DVD restore. It is dated March 29. 2020. I was fiddling around with WSL 2 and I wanted to try out Win10 Pro as a possibility to fix my issues. Now, I just want my email, browser and OS...
  8. Upgrade win10 home to win10 pro

Upgrade win10 home to win10 pro: I'm trying to upgrade my win10 home to pro but I'm stuck. The steps taken are below: 1. I disconnected my internet-connection. 2. I went to systems->"Update&Security" -> Activation -> "Change Product Key" 3. I entered the generic key "VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T" and the...
  9. Win10 home Up Grade to Win10 Pro

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Win10 home Up Grade to Win10 Pro: Hi I purchased Win 10 Pro From Microsoft Store on Nov2019 .The Product Code was Not Given But Down From Loaded from store . When It was installing or Up grading From Win10 home to Win10Pro Finally Error Showing 0x0. So Far I was not Upgraded And Wasted Time and...
  10. Upgrade Win10 Home to Win10 Pro

in Windows 10 Support
    Upgrade Win10 Home to Win10 Pro: Recently I have replaced my Win 8.1 Home edition with a Win 10 Home edition. (64-bit) Now I would like to upgrade Win10 Home to a Win10 Pro Edition. How do I do that and what will it cost me? 31154