Windows 10: Giving up on Windows!

Discus and support Giving up on Windows! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've been a reluctant Windows user for as long as I can remember. What's the definition of a mouse? It's an elephant running Windows! I upgraded to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by M1keC, Feb 28, 2017.

1. M1keC Win User

Giving up on Windows!

I've been a reluctant Windows user for as long as I can remember. What's the definition of a mouse? It's an elephant running Windows!
    I upgraded to Windows 10 last year and it took forever - how can it take so long to update? I could have calculated several moonshots in that time L eventually it worked and seemed like a big improvement on Windows 8 so I had great hours. Until the update in January started updating automatically.
    It took hours and t been froze completely. After several days of trying with no success I contacted Microsoft support who ran my computer remotely and, surprise, surprise, had exactly the same problem! 3 technical support people insisted on trying the same thing, all promising guaranteed success but all filled in the same way. Eventually I spoke to a supervisor who tried again and then told me the problem was the drivers on my Acer computer were not compatible. They worked on the initial Windows 10 so maybe it's Windows that is now not compatible.
    Anyway, I'm left with a badly functioning computer with the original Windows 10 that keeps wanting to upgrade itself.
    I've had enough and have ordered a Chromebox - no more Windows, what a delight!

:)

M1keC, Feb 28, 2017

2. Giving up on Windows Phone

I must report, sadly, that I am in the same boat. After years of swimming upstream, advocating for Windows Phone in the face of shrinking (disappearing) support, first from Sprint, then Verizon, and of late, Microsoft itself, I cannot turn a blind eye
    to Windows Phone slow death. Microsoft is, quite obviously, not interested in the platform any longer, they only 'glimmer' of hope for Windows Phone is the rumored Surface Phone, that will probably never see the light of day, and if it does, it's so expensive,
    no one will use it (remember the HP Jornada, anyone???). Anyway, I think Microsoft's mobile OS was and is far superior to Andriod or iOS, but quite frankly, I cannot keep the lifeboat afloat any longer. There hasn't been a meaningful update to my Lumia 735,
    ever (it's not 'compatible' with Windows 10, either...). Verizon has one WP handset available, and it's pretty much garbage. I refuse to sign a contract with AT&T, the only carrier that has a decent W10 handset, so... adios, Microsoft. Good luck.

I loved Windows Mobile 6, 7, WP 8, 8.1, and 10 (when I had an Icon). It's sad that MS effectively killed the best mobile operating system through neglect (but that seems to be their M.O. - buy or develop something great, then ignore it and let it die).

In case anyone at MS cares... we went with Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge handsets... I am loathe to go back to Android, but it's better than iOS.

DanielW77380, Feb 28, 2017
  3. Giving up on Windows Phone

UPDATE:

Less than a week after receiving my shiny, new Samsung handset, running Android of course, it's going back to Verizon. I'm re-activating a Nokia/Lumia Icon. Android hasn't improved, in my opinion... it's still a confusing, unintuitive, and frustrating
    operating system. The hardware is pretty good, the Edge screen is a little annoying - way to easy to make mistakes, but the OS is just a total dumpster fire.

Everyone complains that there are 'no apps' for Windows Phone - not true. The only apps I will truly miss are my banks' apps, but their websites provide most functionality I need (I don't need to mobile deposit - it's cool, but I can scan in checks at
    my PC and deposit them there...). Android's notifications are inferior to Microsoft's, the e-mail (Outlook and gMail) are clunky, and do we really need three choices of Messaging apps???

Things Android/Samsung got right? Messaging+ is a nice app - lots of emojis but attaching a picture to a message is a multi-step process; the keyboard shows numbers all the time - nice; the display is amazing; the fingerprint scanner is very convenient;
    the performance was on-par with my Icon.

Can't wait to get my SIM so I can start using my Windows Phone again. The Icon, running Windows Phone 10, is slick, fast, intuitive, and just WORKS.

DanielW77380, Feb 28, 2017
  4. Giving up on Windows!

Considering, that it is purely cloud based, I would rather go for linux. But good luck anyway.

The problem with Windows 10 drivers is, they are not all 10 drivers. With each upgrade, 10 changes, but drivers do not. Since 10 should be the last Windows, they will have to address this issue, because Windows 10 drivers compatible now, will not be compatible 2-10 years from now.

You can try Driver Easy Free to find missing/outdated drivers.
    Uninstall any security software, if you have any, then download WF.bat and run it as admin.

If that does not help, you can try Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

TairikuOkami, Feb 28, 2017
  5. Hi I use Auslogic Driver Updater which runs in the background, and if any driver are out of date then it lets me know and then updates them, got it on all my systems and never ever let me down, and they are the genuine drivers not from Microsoft
    Not free but worth every penny

hTconeM9user, Feb 28, 2017
  6. You never mentioned a clean install, which would have easily solved your issues. No one, honestly, no one outside of the Enterprise market contacts Microsoft for support. Your issues were not ones that could be fixed remotely.

Enjoy the Chromebook. They are nice for what they do, but for most people, they can't replace a computer. They are more of a tablet/iPad replacement.

DeaconFrost, Feb 28, 2017
  7. A new OS is for a new computer. I never upgrade the OS on an existing computer. Too much hassle, as with drivers (mentioned above), but also with inadequate resources.

My six-year-old high-end box runs Windows 7. It used to be fast, but software keeps getting bigger and the box keeps getting slower. I will not upgrade it to Windows 10. That will wait for the next box.

There's no need to give up on the OS. It's time to give up on the old box.

margrave55, Feb 28, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

Giving up on Windows!

You'd be surprised, I upgraded very much a low end machine (1GB RAM, 1.9GHz Celeron) from x86 Win7 Pro to Windows 10. Seems to start up and open MS Office faster now. The MS-supplied drivers worked just fine.

9. Fafhrd Win User
    This is written on an x86 Windows 10 1607 14393 running on my print/fax server, an 11 year old (BIOS 23 May 2006) Acer Travelmate 2420, with a Celeron M processor maxed out with 2 GB RAM, on a 24 GB partition.

It's not unmodified - I dropped it about 7 years ago, smashing the screen and hinges. The battery was removed when it failed to hold enough charge to reboot the system, so as compact laptops go, it's not very mobile.

The touchpad and keyboard don't work well, so It has an external mouse and USB keyboard (logitech!) plugged in off a 4-port dollar store USB2 hub.

It ran Windows 10 10586 1511 fine but failed to upgrade to 14393 because some hardware conflicts could not be resolved by Setup during upgrade. I had to clean install. It turns out that the WiFi card and graphics driver were in contention, so the Wifi card was removed. Onboard wired ethernet is fine for a little machine on a shelf next to the printer linked by a USB cable.

Intel does not support the integrated 915GM/910ML/915G Graphics chip, and The Windows 10 Microsoft Basic Display driver has a hard time understanding how Windows 7 and 8 both could drive this unsupported chipset, but after some work, it was made to work on a clean install. As sharp as it should be at the monitor's 900x1440 resolution.

Giving up on Windows! [​IMG]

It's the only kit I have left with a 56K modem, so if I need to send a fax or do some arcane comms stuff, it's the only way I have left.

The other 10GB partition on the HDD runs Windows XP, occasionally. There's very little speed difference between 10 or XP in everyday use - both are usable show no instability, and the benefit of these old single core machines is no throttling. It sits on a dollar store laptop cooling fan in case of hot British summer temperatures. *Smile

Don't knock old hardware and Windows 10. I find time after time they work well together.

Fafhrd, Feb 28, 2017
  10. Winuser Win User
    56K modem! That brings back a lot of memories. It use to take me around three days to download the newest Linux Mandrake versions. I never want to go back to dialup.

Winuser, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Giving up on Windows!

1. Giving up on Windows! - Similar Threads - Giving

2. BSOD problem dont give option to reset this pc.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD problem dont give option to reset this pc.: The bsod is very laggy after automatic repair when bootup. then it bring to the bsod. after that, it didnt give the option to reset this pc and straightway go to advanced option for troubleshooting. in this case i cannot reset my pc. command prompt also didnt work as scannow...
  3. BSOD problem dont give option to reset this pc.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD problem dont give option to reset this pc.: The bsod is very laggy after automatic repair when bootup. then it bring to the bsod. after that, it didnt give the option to reset this pc and straightway go to advanced option for troubleshooting. in this case i cannot reset my pc. command prompt also didnt work as scannow...
  4. BSOD problem dont give option to reset this pc.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. For the last month or so my windows 10 PC has been giving BSOD pretty much everytime I use...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    For the last month or so my windows 10 PC has been giving BSOD pretty much everytime I use...: The error messages I have noted down are: SERVICE_SYSTEM_EXCEPTION/FAILURE - I don't recall exactly what this one saidIQRL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUALKERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILUREKERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERRORWHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERRORATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY The latter of these is...
  6. For the last month or so my windows 10 PC has been giving BSOD pretty much everytime I use...

For the last month or so my windows 10 PC has been giving BSOD pretty much everytime I use...: The error messages I have noted down are: SERVICE_SYSTEM_EXCEPTION/FAILURE - I don't recall exactly what this one saidIQRL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUALKERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILUREKERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERRORWHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERRORATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY The latter of these is...
  7. For the last month or so my windows 10 PC has been giving BSOD pretty much everytime I use...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. I just got a new ssd and it gives me a blue screen when i try to instal windows 11 on it....

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I just got a new ssd and it gives me a blue screen when i try to instal windows 11 on it....: I just got a new ssd and when I turn on the PC with the usb with the windows 11 installation it shows me "Recovery, Your PC/Device needs to be repaired...". Sometimes if i try to open bios it gives me a black screen, but when it works it shows me that my ssd is under raid...
  9. I just got a new ssd and it gives me a blue screen when i try to instal windows 11 on it....

I just got a new ssd and it gives me a blue screen when i try to instal windows 11 on it....: I just got a new ssd and when I turn on the PC with the usb with the windows 11 installation it shows me "Recovery, Your PC/Device needs to be repaired...". Sometimes if i try to open bios it gives me a black screen, but when it works it shows me that my ssd is under raid...
  10. Help! My laptop mouse and trackpad are giving me a tough time

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help! My laptop mouse and trackpad are giving me a tough time: My mouse moves across the screen even when I do not touch it. My trackpad left and right buttons do not work I've tried to see if it was enabled and it was, I've done troubleshooting and updated the drives and still the same problem persists I've tried all the advice I've...