Windows 10: go from sata 1 to sata 3 using an add on card and having it boot?

Discus and support go from sata 1 to sata 3 using an add on card and having it boot? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have sata 3 drives, but the mother board is sata 1 which is slow. MB is Aspen MSI 7548 MSI MS-7548 (Aspen) motherboards specifications The mb... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by sdowney717, Nov 10, 2017.

1. go from sata 1 to sata 3 using an add on card and having it boot?

I have sata 3 drives, but the mother board is sata 1 which is slow.
    MB is Aspen MSI 7548
    MSI MS-7548 (Aspen) motherboards specifications

The mb has a free PCIEx1 version 2 slot open.
    I have read you can buy an add on sata3 card to work with version 2 pcie x1 slot, BUT there is the question of can it boot from the addon sata card?

Does anyone know about these things?
    Would it be bootable from the add on card?
    Would win10 have problems being activated booting from an addon sata card?
    would win10 have to be reinstalled?

any addon sata card recommends?

The great eventual idea is, the machine dual boots win7 and win 10 and boots from a sata 3 card so that it is faster, right now it is kinda slow to boot up and things like that. Slow enough just walk away and boil water while it boots.

:)

sdowney717, Nov 10, 2017

2. Storagespace, want to change SATA Controller for Devices

Hi all,

i've running a parity storage pool of 3 x 4TB Sata HDD's on two different 2 Port SATA Controller.

1. Could i switch thoose drives without loose of data to an other 4 Port SATA Controller?

For example:

1 x 3 x TB HDD on SATA Controller 1 Port 1

1 x 3 x TB HDD on SATA Controller 2 Port 0

1 x 3 x TB HDD on SATA Controller 2 Port 1

Swtiched to...

1 x 3 x TB HDD on SATA Controller 3 Port 0

1 x 3 x TB HDD on SATA Controller 3 Port 1

1 x 3 x TB HDD on SATA Controller 3 Port 2

2. What happens when i switch the assignment between the Controllers and the HDDs?

For example:

Switched to...

Please help me to figure out what happens in the two szenario's. I won't test this on my livesystem and there is no testsystem given.

Many thanks

Toady Toadsen, Nov 10, 2017
  3. Altexxx Win User
    SSD samsung 850 pro (512Gb) freezes randomly with storahci error - "Event ID 129 – storachi – Reset to device, DeviceRaidPort0, was issued"

I double checked my BIOS configuration and i have the following

1) SSD Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) is connected to port1 (sata-3) of the Intel chipset SATA Controller

2) SSD OCZ Vector-180 (480GB) is connected to port2 (sata-3) of the Intel chipset SATA Controller

3) BDRW Pioneer BDR-207 is connected to port4 (sata-2) of the Intel chipset SATA Controller

4) HDD WesternDigital WDC WD4003FZEX-00Z4SA0 (4Tb)

is connected to port1 (sata-3) of the Asmedia SATA Controller

So i'm 100% sure that all of two of my SSD including Samsung 850 Pro are connected to Intel Chipset Sata Controller to the sata-3 ports.

I'll try to install Asmedia SATA Controller Driver from the Asus Rampage V and let you know if problem presist.

Altexxx, Nov 10, 2017
  4. go from sata 1 to sata 3 using an add on card and having it boot?

I need to check the bios and see if there is any such thing in there like this.
    If I hit escape key, it does bring up a boot menu listing devices, like other hard drives and usb

How to Boot from PCI SATA Card | eBay

sdowney717, Nov 10, 2017
  5. Looking at bios screen, I dont see anything about booting from other devices.

If you cant run the os on a faster sata port, it is not worth bothering to use an add on card just for storage drives.

sdowney717, Nov 10, 2017
  6. clam1952 Win User
    Other Drives do not appear in the bios, if the bios can accept add-on controllers, until there is an additional controller with a drive or drives attached.

Without you completing your PC specs fully it is impossible to say if it will work with your bios or not.

clam1952, Nov 10, 2017
  7. sdowney717, Nov 10, 2017
  8. clam1952 Win User

go from sata 1 to sata 3 using an add on card and having it boot?

Motherboard is supposed to be SATA2 as your drives appear to be anyway, probably not really going to gain much if anything on booting, an SSD would probably give better results even at SATA2
    You would also need SATA3 drives to get any benefit out out of a SATA3 card, add to that that not all SATA cards can be booted, I have one here that can't, doesn't show as a boot option or anything in the bios and doesn't show up on post however it works OK, didn't need to boot from it though anyway

clam1952, Nov 10, 2017
  9. Motherboard is sata 1, not sata 2, where do you see that?
    Every I have looked says sata 1 ?
    MSI MS-7548 (Aspen) - Best Compatible MSI MS-7548 (Aspen) Mobo

MSI MS-7548 (Aspen) motherboards specifications

The AMD 780G chip set which it uses says sata 2, but all the motherboard specs list sata 1.
    It does have 6 sata ports.
    How can I test the sata speed? I have 2 drives in there.

AMD touts a number of features in the 780G that are noteworthy:
    - First AMD chipset with integrated digital DisplayPort output
    - Support for up to 12 USB 2.0 connections, 6 AHCI based SATA 3.0 Gb/s ports with eSATA capability
    - HD audio
    - Unified Video Decoder (UVD)
    - One x16 PCIe Gen 2 link
    - HT 3.0
    - DVI/HDMI interface
    - Internal or external TMDS

sdowney717, Nov 10, 2017
  10. So far looking at speed tests and trying to compare to sata versions is a wasteland of non info.

How would MB/sec results compare to Sata version speeds? Lots of hard drive speed utilities report MB/sec

sdowney717, Nov 10, 2017
  11. ran online test for MSI Aspen 7548
    what does this suggest?

sdowney717, Nov 10, 2017
  12. Ok, here is more info. I ran that same online speed test on my other PC, a MSI 7596 motherboard which is listed as sata 2.
    And the boot drive is the Hitachi 750gb sata 2 drive, and the results are lower than the aspen msi 7548 board?

Makes me think, the ASPEN board msi 7548 is sata 2, even though several web sites say sata 1.
    I have a 3TB HGST ultrastar drive on the way which will go in the aspen msi 7548 PC and will retest end of next week.
    https://www.hgst.com/sites/default/f...S7K4000_ds.pdf

And that WD Blue 1tb 2102 drive I think should have done much better! Look at the numbers here MB/sec
    http://hdd.userbenchmark.com/Compare...013/1779vs1822

200 versus 87 in my sata 2 system

sdowney717, Nov 10, 2017
  13. fdegrove Win User

Hi,

Ultimately you're always going to be limited by the I/O throughput of that era but I do agree with Clam 1952 in that an SSD drive is your best option.
    Sure I could show you how to run Windows from a drive in a PCIe slot that's not bootable but the gain in doing so is again limited by the rest of the hardware.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Nov 11, 2017
  14. Hi, I would like to know how to do that even though I may never do that.

sdowney717, Nov 11, 2017
  15. I dual boot the other PC which is the MSI 7596. A very simple way to find the speed is run this command
    I can boot a live usb and do this on the Aspen board later.

scott@scott-MS-7596:~$ dmesg | grep -i sata | grep 'link up'

[ 2.160041] ata2: SATA link up 3.0 Gbps (SStatus 123 SControl 300)
    [ 2.160063] ata1: SATA link up 3.0 Gbps (SStatus 123 SControl 300)
    [ 2.164040] ata3: SATA link up 3.0 Gbps (SStatus 123 SControl 300)

scott@scott-MS-7596:~$

I loaded a picture of my 4 drives as reported by pulling info from the log. One is a sata 3
    I also ran a read write test of the Toshiba which is the sata 3 drive. I need to do these tests on the aspen board

sdowney717, Nov 11, 2017
Thema:

1. go from sata 1 to sata 3 using an add on card and having it boot? - Similar Threads - sata sata using

2. Booting from USB SATA HDD?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Booting from USB SATA HDD?: I just found my old HDD with Windows 7. I just plugged it into my current W10 PC (via USB-SATA adapter), i used EasyBCD and selected the drive letter of my W7HDD (G:) and added that as boot entry But when restarting, selecting the W7 entry, it shows me black screen, and no...
  3. Win 10 boot from usb but not sata

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win 10 boot from usb but not sata: Recently I move hard drive from old computer to my new computer. It has win 10 installed. I can only get it to boot to safe mode when it connected to sata. If I take it out and connect it to usb it will boot to win 10 fine without any problem. What could be the problem?...
  4. sata power and sata 3

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    sata power and sata 3: i looked on amazon and i couldn't find a good sata 3 to usb 3 and a sata power that would fit with the sata 3. Does anybody have a link to what im looking for? Sata 3 2.5 inches. https://imgur.com/5DFguai...
  5. Looking for PCIe to SATA 3 Add-in-card

Looking for PCIe to SATA 3 Add-in-card: I'm looking for a PCIe to SATA 3 add in card that actually works at X4 rates, that is, it must use all four lanes on the PCIe bus. The card can either provide sata connectors or permit insertion of a 2.5" SATA 3 SSD onto the card. Examples of the types of cards that would...
  6. Unable to boot after cloning Sata HDD to Sata SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to boot after cloning Sata HDD to Sata SSD: Hello, I did cloning of my original Sata 1 TB HDD to New 1 TB SSD (WD) using Macrium Software. No issues found during cloning and everything went fine. I did swap the hard disk and when I turn on the laptop I am unable to boot to windows. I did try legacy boot option and...
  7. Need to add a sata drive to a duel boot system

Need to add a sata drive to a duel boot system: Hi, I have windows 10 and windows 7 on a duel boot configuration.I have three drives designated to windows 10.I'm using windows 7 pro 64 bit for gaming only, But I'm running out of storage space. So I want to add a 500 GB sata drive I have in my desk drawer to windows...
  8. Sata III PCI cards for computer with SATA II ports on mobo

Sata III PCI cards for computer with SATA II ports on mobo: I have a DIY box with an Asus P5K-E mobo that provides SATA II ports. I upgraded to a pair of Samsung 850 EVO ssds and naturally got a great speed boost. Now I am getting greedy and thinking about doubling my gains with a SATA III controller card. I have been reading online...
  9. No SSD boot from external SATA 3 controller

No SSD boot from external SATA 3 controller: Hello, Nice place here *Smile My problem is as follows: I have a flawless AHCI installation of Windows 10 Home on Samsung 850 EVO SSD plugged to SATA 2 native port/controller at my motherboard Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H (GeForce 9400 chipset, F4 BIOS). Everything works just...
  10. Adding a SATA RAID card

Adding a SATA RAID card: I'm wondering if I've made a schoolboy error here... I'm trying to add more disks to my desktop and have run out of SATA ports the motherboard has 6. I've just added a SATA RAID card (Semlos 4 Ports PCI Sata Internal Raid Controller Card Sil3114 Chipset with 2 Sata...