Windows 10: Goal: Virtual disk to sync file sets with drives of different sizes

Discus and support Goal: Virtual disk to sync file sets with drives of different sizes in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Have 3 sets of matching data: 1 set on 12GB drives, 1 set on 6GB drives, and 1 set on 2GB drives. Would like to do a synch check by comparing file... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dianedebuda, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Goal: Virtual disk to sync file sets with drives of different sizes

Have 3 sets of matching data: 1 set on 12GB drives, 1 set on 6GB drives, and 1 set on 2GB drives.

Would like to do a synch check by comparing file name/date/size of contents of 2-6GB to a 12GB drive and the contents of 3-2GB to a 6GB drive.

Would like to create a temp, virtual drive/folder of the 2-6GB drives (or 3-2GB drives) so I can use a synch program to do the compare.

Any thoughts?

---------------

Asked this over in the sevenforums a couple of days ago since I plan to do this on a Win7 box, but no reply. I have vague memories of some software that could do creation of a virtual drive from multiple physical ones, but haven't been able to google it up. Almost like Library, but Library would not quite work here.

:)

dianedebuda, Jan 12, 2021

2. Goal: Virtual disk to sync file sets with drives of different sizes

Have 3 sets of matching data: 1 set on 12GB drives, 1 set on 6GB drives, and 1 set on 2GB drives.

Would like to do a synch check by comparing file name/date/size of contents of 2-6GB to a 12GB drive and the contents of 3-2GB to a 6GB drive.

Would like to create a temp, virtual drive/folder of the 2-6GB drives (or 3-2GB drives) so I can use a synch program to do the compare.

Any thoughts?

---------------

Asked this over in the sevenforums a couple of days ago since I plan to do this on a Win7 box, but no reply. I have vague memories of some software that could do creation of a virtual drive from multiple physical ones, but haven't been able to google it up. Almost like Library, but Library would not quite work here.

dianedebuda, Jan 12, 2021
  3. Arun B J Win User
    How do I launch my virtual drive

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern regarding the issue that you are facing.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps

• Press Windows + X, and select Disk Management
    • From the Action drop down menu, select Create VHD
    • In the Create and Attach Virtual Hard Disk dialogue box you should select where you want the .vhd file to be saved.
    • Choose which format you prefer and how large you want the virtual drive to be
    • A fixed size VHD stays at the same size and behaves just like a physical drive, while a dynamic expanding VHD grows and shrinks as files are added to, or deleted from it
    • The new disk will now be displayed in the Disk Management window but cannot be used until it has been initialized. Right-click on the disk title and select “Initialize Disk”.
    • Choosing the MRB (Master Boot Record) style is the safest thing to do here
    • Once initialized, the disk needs to be set up as a simple volume and assigned a drive letter. Right-click on the drive itself in the Disk Management window and select New Simple
      Volume
    • When the Wizard opens, click "next" to enter the Specify Volume Size dialogue. By default, the volume size is set as the size of the entire virtual disk, but you can choose
      any smaller size you wish.
    • Next assign it a drive letter and then format it
    • Navigate to where you saved the VHD file during Step 4 in File Explorer, and double click to mount it. The virtual disk will now show up in File Explorer (and elsewhere) as
      a regular hard disk, and can be used just like one

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Arun B J, Jan 12, 2021
  4. Goal: Virtual disk to sync file sets with drives of different sizes

Reduce disk size (Inspect SCSI )

Hi, I'm David an independent advisor and user just like you. I'll do my best to help you with this.

The answer is you have to reduce the size on BOTH sides.

Step 1) Within you virtual machine you need to go to Disk Management and reduce the size of the partition(s) on the drive you want to reduce - you want to end up with space left at the "end" of the virtual disk. This is the space you'll be able to recover.

Step 2) From your Hyper-V host you need to edit the virtual disk and use the Shrink option to reduce the size of the physical disk (as far as your VM is concerned it's a physical disk), and that would reduce the size of your virtual disk file on the host.

If you are increasing the size of the virtual disk then you do it the other way round - increase the size of the virtual disk on Hyper-V, then go to Disk Management inside your virtual machine and you'll find there's more space available to expand your virtual
    volume.

Regards,

David

David Spink, Jan 12, 2021
Thema:

Goal: Virtual disk to sync file sets with drives of different sizes

1. Goal: Virtual disk to sync file sets with drives of different sizes - Similar Threads - Goal Virtual disk

2. Size vs Size on disk difference in Windows explained

in Windows 10 News
    Size vs Size on disk difference in Windows explained: [IMG]You can view the actual size of your file by opening file properties in File Explorer. If you have ever noticed, file properties show two different types of sizes for the same file, namely, Size and Size on disk. The Size on disk is usually larger than the actual file...
  3. Why is size on disk different on a flash drive when I copy a large amount of files?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is size on disk different on a flash drive when I copy a large amount of files?: Hi, I've noticed that when I copy a large amount of files to a flash drive, the size on disk on the flash drive is different from my actual hard drive. Why is this?If it helps, my hard drive is an internal SSD and both drives are formatted in NTFS. I have Windows 11.Here's a...
  4. Virtual Disk Drive Not Ready

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Virtual Disk Drive Not Ready: Hello, I recently bought a 870 EVO 500gb SSD and a sata adapter cable. However, when i plugged the ssd into my laptop externally, i keep getting an error message that my device is not ready in disk management. How do i fix that? I read online and tried all the methods,...
  5. Difference of folder's size vs size on disk by multiples

in Windows 10 Support
    Difference of folder's size vs size on disk by multiples: One folder I checked the properties of showed 55GB of files but "Size on disk" was 300+GB... I understand how they can be different, but I'm unsure of what that much of a difference actually means. [img] Is 300GB of drive space actually being used? It seems like a...
  6. Goal: Virtual disk to sync file sets with drives of different sizes

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Goal: Virtual disk to sync file sets with drives of different sizes: Have 3 sets of matching data: 1 set on 12GB drives, 1 set on 6GB drives, and 1 set on 2GB drives. Would like to do a synch check by comparing file name/date/size of contents of 2-6GB to a 12GB drive and the contents of 3-2GB to a 6GB drive. Would like to create a temp,...
  7. Virtual Disk Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Virtual Disk Drive: I recently downloaded VMware Workstation Pro to my PC, so i can test a file that i didn't want to run on my personal PC. After i finished my job, I uninstalled VMware and i noticed that the virtual drives still exist (see screenshot). Is it safe to uninstall them from the...
  8. difference in drive size

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    difference in drive size: windows explorer shows 67.1 Gb free for C: drive as below. [img] But dual boot mint shows as below [img] why such a difference? 118561
  9. Virtual Box ● Increase Disk Size ● In Windows

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Virtual Box ● Increase Disk Size ● In Windows: More interesting is how to shrink it of course. Both increasing and decreasing disk size are covered in the VirtualBox documentation though thankfully. 41032
  10. Different size of recovery drive?

in Windows 10 Support
    Different size of recovery drive?: I'm active in SeniorNet. We have helped about 20 persons to upgrade to Windows 10. One peculiar thing we noticed is that different PC´s demand different size for the USB Recvery disk after the uppgrade. We had a range from 4GB to 32GB. A majority used 16GB....